• Apr 25th, 2018 4:47 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8174 posts
1349 upvotes
Edmonton
Tilleycat wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 9:15 am
Thank you for this thread, I appreciate having somewhere to get some information on EI. I have a bit of a complicated case and I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I will try to keep this brief.

I was on maternity benefits until Sept/10. I returned to work full time and then went off work in Jan/11 on my company's short term and then long term disability plan. As of March 2012 I was cleared to return to work part time so my LTD benefits ended. I am a unionized employee and there are no part time provisions in our collective agreement. The reasons for my being unable to return full time are 2-fold...I myself have medical issues that prevent me from working full time and I am also the primary caregiver for a profoundly disabled child.

I attempted to negotiate with my employer and ask for an accommodation. This got messy and in June 2012 I filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal in Ontario alleging that my employer has contravened the Code by not working with me to reach an accommodation. In the meantime I have not been working or receiving any income but am technically still employed, and my extended health benefits are still in place. I applied for sickness benefits and after almost 3 months was approved. These benefits end this week as I will have received the maximum 15 weeks.

In the meantime my case with the Human Rights Tribunal has moved ahead. We are now scheduled to go to mediation as the a tribunal has determined I have a case. This likely wont happen until early 2013.

Now, because I had been on maternity leave the agent went back 24 months to figure out my insurance hours. I have 609 hours (I have worked full time for the same employer for 9 years, it's just that there was a maternity leave in that 24 month qualifying period) so I qualified for sickness but apparently I would need 630 hours for regular benefits. I will apply anyway now that sickness has run out but I suspect I will be denied because I am short 21 hours.

Is there anything I can do? Appeal the decision? Involve my MP? I totally understand there are rules, legislation etc. but I am a welfare caseworker in Ontario and I know first hand that exceptions are made all the time. i want to be back at work, part time, but my employer isn't allowing me, and quitting isn't an option because of the pending Human Rights case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you looking for part time or full time work?
Who takes care of your child while you're working?
Sep 23, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
HAMILTON
lguser44 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 2:09 pm
Thomas111 - could you let me know what the job search form looks like? I am curious about how to document my job search as well. In my field, job postings don't appear that often and the time frame for applications and interviews is long (months). For instance, I just was called for an interview resulting from an application that I sent out in early July, and the interview is at the end of October. Every application requires a lot of research and editing (days) and I'm concerned that it will look like I am not searching hard enough, even though I am working full time on my job search.

Thanks a lot for any info!
Hi lguser44 - They have requested information on all job search efforts since I started receiving EI in the following format

Date of Contact:
Type of Work Sought:
Employer Name, Address, Telephone Number & Email:
Job Search Efforts/Method of Contact:
Results:

Date of Contact:
Type of Work Sought:
Employer Name, Address, Telephone Number & Email:
Job Search Efforts/Method of Contact:
Results:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8174 posts
1349 upvotes
Edmonton
rolfololf wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 2:25 pm
hi, i have been on ei since july and received the ~information session~ letter last week with a form to fill out with my job search history. they want me to provide FIVE examples per week of attempts that i made to find work. jobs in my industry at my level are not all that common and are most often obtained through networking, not sending out resumes. i have been spending my time constructively, but i don't really have that magic number of five contacts per week to hand over at this session.

i'm not really sure what to do as i don't want to lie, but i also don't think that this "5 a week" rule applies well to every person on ei. if i sent out 5 random applications a week, i would frankly be wasting my time. is this a letter of the law kind of situation, or will they understand that not every job search looks the same?
It's not the letter of the law, but applying for 5 jobs a week shouldn't be that difficult
Sep 29, 2012
2 posts
thanks for your reply. it's not so much that it's difficult to apply for 5 jobs in a week, it's more that it's difficult for me to find 5 jobs per week that i can reasonably apply for. i guess what i am really asking is: if i can prove (which i definitely can) that i am looking for work, are they going to cut me off because i can't give them five examples per week. i actually have a couple of leads that i am chasing as hard as i can right now, but sometimes companies take a long time to develop positions and i can't call the same people five times a week. i've been working on depth instead of breadth. i hope that this is going to be good enough but i am just really nervous. if five a week is really what is required, i will gladly do it from this point forward but i can't go back in time.
Sep 30, 2012
3 posts
Hi there,

I've run into situation that I'd like to see I may get some advises.

I've worked in Toronto for 16 years at the same company, and I've got laid off in August, then I've quickly gone to Calgary to find a job. I've got a job in Sept, but I didn't realize that I need to file the claim within 4 weeks. Since I'm still on probation at the new job that I ain't sure, especially my family is in Toronto, I'm wondering if I still can or need to file the claim for the old job at this moment?

Thank you.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Actcdd wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 9:55 am
Hi there,

I've run into situation that I'd like to see I may get some advises.

I've worked in Toronto for 16 years at the same company, and I've got laid off in August, then I've quickly gone to Calgary to find a job. I've got a job in Sept, but I didn't realize that I need to file the claim within 4 weeks. Since I'm still on probation at the new job that I ain't sure, especially my family is in Toronto, I'm wondering if I still can or need to file the claim for the old job at this moment?

Thank you.
You can request an antedate (backdate) of your claim. However you need to show good causes for entire duration of the delay. Ignorance is not good cause, unfortunately. Remember that every one has to serve a two week waiting period, and any separate monies you get (severance, vacation) will have to be allocated. My gut feeling is that since you have such a short gap of unemployment, you may not get many weeks of benefit even if your antedate is approved.

If you're thinking about quitting the job in Calgary, you have to show just cause. And welcome to Alberta.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7585 posts
1205 upvotes
Ontario
Hello,
regarding a claim, resigning with just cause, received a call from an agent to call back to discuss the claim (health related reasons).
What kind of questions can I expect during this call? Is it merely a fact finding call or are they trying to stump me! (not that I have anything to hide, just curious what to expect). :)
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8174 posts
1349 upvotes
Edmonton
onlineharvest wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 6:42 pm
Hello,
regarding a claim, resigning with just cause, received a call from an agent to call back to discuss the claim (health related reasons).
What kind of questions can I expect during this call? Is it merely a fact finding call or are they trying to stump me! (not that I have anything to hide, just curious what to expect). :)
Thanks
They should be asking if you explored reasonable alternatives to quitting, prior to quitting. This could include things like a transfer, a leave of absence, alternate work arrangements etc. I don't know the extent of the health issues, but chances are if your doctor advised you to quit and provided documentation supporting that, you won't have an issue.
Sep 29, 2012
15 posts
1 upvote
BARRIE
clseea wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 10:12 pm
Are you looking for part time or full time work?
Who takes care of your child while you're working?
I am not looking for work at all right now. I am technically still employed full time but am off on what I guess is a leave of absence because the employer will not accommodate my medically necessary need to work part time. In the meantime there is a Human Rights complaint chugging away in the background.

I have daycare in place for my younger son. My disabled son is in school.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8174 posts
1349 upvotes
Edmonton
Tilleycat wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 9:08 pm
I am not looking for work at all right now. I am technically still employed full time but am off on what I guess is a leave of absence because the employer will not accommodate my medically necessary need to work part time. In the meantime there is a Human Rights complaint chugging away in the background.

I have daycare in place for my younger son. My disabled son is in school.
So what kind of benefits were you hoping to collect???
Sep 29, 2012
15 posts
1 upvote
BARRIE
clseea wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 9:45 pm
So what kind of benefits were you hoping to collect???
Regular benefits I guess. I would begin looking for part time employment,.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8174 posts
1349 upvotes
Edmonton
Tilleycat wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 11:05 pm
Regular benefits I guess. I would begin looking for part time employment,.
Re-reading your original post, it looks like you're short on hours to qualify. There's no wiggle room for short hours, either you have the hours or you don't. Secondly, you need to be looking for full time work to collect regular benefits, not part time. EI isn't meant to be a supplementary means of income for part time work. If someone loses their job, applies for EI and then manages to find part time employment, that's fine. But you can't only be looking for part time work. Third, when did you become able to work? If you can suddenly start working because your sick benefits have ended, it raises some red flags.
Sep 29, 2012
15 posts
1 upvote
BARRIE
clseea wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 2:36 am
Re-reading your original post, it looks like you're short on hours to qualify. There's no wiggle room for short hours, either you have the hours or you don't. Secondly, you need to be looking for full time work to collect regular benefits, not part time. EI isn't meant to be a supplementary means of income for part time work. If someone loses their job, applies for EI and then manages to find part time employment, that's fine. But you can't only be looking for part time work. Third, when did you become able to work? If you can suddenly start working because your sick benefits have ended, it raises some red flags.
Thanks for your input. I'm between a rock and a hard place it seems. My employer refuses to accommodate my needs, I am able to work part time but they won't allow me to, so here I sit waiting for my Human Rights case to move forward with no income until its resolved. I cannot officially quit while this case is pending. I guess I need to hope for a settlement once my case is heard!
Sep 30, 2012
3 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 2:23 pm
You can request an antedate (backdate) of your claim. However you need to show good causes for entire duration of the delay. Ignorance is not good cause, unfortunately. Remember that every one has to serve a two week waiting period, and any separate monies you get (severance, vacation) will have to be allocated. My gut feeling is that since you have such a short gap of unemployment, you may not get many weeks of benefit even if your antedate is approved.

If you're thinking about quitting the job in Calgary, you have to show just cause. And welcome to Alberta.
Thank you for the reply.

There was a month apart between the jobs; and, I was just worrying what if I didn't pass the probation? Then, at that time, I wouldn't have the 6 month working hours of the new job; would I then still be eligible for that outcome?

Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7585 posts
1205 upvotes
Ontario
clseea wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 6:59 pm
They should be asking if you explored reasonable alternatives to quitting, prior to quitting. This could include things like a transfer, a leave of absence, alternate work arrangements etc. I don't know the extent of the health issues, but chances are if your doctor advised you to quit and provided documentation supporting that, you won't have an issue.
Yes, it was along these lines. Rep was actually a delight to speak with, and the claim was accepted.
Thanks to those who helped me along the way - this thread is an excellent resource.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)