• Sep 24th, 2018 6:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 2:17 pm
Call them and find out what? The obligation for you, which you attest to when applying, is that you will answer the questions truthfully and honestly.

If you lie and get caught you have to repay that money in addition to a penalty.

You obviously are looking to collect benefits without actually holding up your end of the bargain (completing reports honestly, looking for and being available for work...etc).

To each their own. It’s not my life but I wouldn’t personally try and help someone to scam the system.

Good luck though and hopefully it works out for you.
It's the same guy that always posts garbage about EI. Pretty pathetic
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9378 posts
3033 upvotes
Calgary
Some people like to troll.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Mar 7, 2005
464 posts
Any suggestions much appreciated.

When leaving an employer and optioning to have a pension transfered into a LIRA, with the remaining non tax shelterd amound paid out in cash, is this considered earnings to EI? And if so, is there any legal way around this, eg; deposing the cash portion into a RRSP or have it invested in another way so it's no longer considered earnings to them? And this is speaking after the fact, as I know when optioning you can select LIRA/RRSP but instead LIRA/CASH was optioned, and so now I want to transfer the cash somewhere so it's not considered earnngs. If that's how the government sees it. Government is always first in line to collect, and last in line to pay out... Thanks
Nov 4, 2012
101 posts
27 upvotes
Kitchener
Sorry if I asked question already being answered here, but there is 1010pages that I really couldn't go through.

Example:

Employer (Ontario) laid off employee and pay him severance. Let say person worked 10years at the company and they are giving him 2weeks of pay for each year he worked for the same company. severance pay is than 20weeks.

Question:

Is person entitle to full 52weeks of EI after severance pay is depleted (assume after 20weeks)?

My calculation is simple:

For 20weeks he will be on his own and than EI will kick in with additional 52weeks of pay (assuming person will not find job in this 20 + 52 weeks)?

or

person will be on his own for 20weeks and than EI will start paying him for the next (52 - 20weeks) 32weeks (again assuming person will not find another job in this whole severance + EI insurable time)

Which statement is correct?

Thanks
Jul 5, 2018
1 posts
Wondering if someone can answer this for me.

I am currently on an EI claim but was recently called back by my old company to do a short 2 month contract. I work out of town so my schedule is as follows: work 15 days, off for 12, and then work 16 days and the contract is up.

My boss has already told me i will be laid off after as there is no work available after the contract is over.

My question is do I report this as full time or part time work? it is a very short contract but the hours I will be reporting are pretty large since I work 12 hour days. I am at a remote jobsite with no cell service so I can't call to ask them.

One more question. The first day that I was able to file my report was either June 29 or June 30. Do I have 3 weeks from that date to file my report before it gets flagged for being late? So July 21 would be my deadline?

Thanks
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
masu485 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 5:34 pm
Hey guys!

Like some others on here I work at a school and we experience a temporary layoff during the summer, so ZERO income. I applied for EI for that period of time and I immediately received a document to come to a required claimant information session and need to bring proof I'm looking for work. How should I go about it? I already have a job that I return to in August.

That being said, I've been looking for a job just for these 2 months, but more passively than I would be if I didn't have a timetable to return to my other job, so don't really have any proof.

How should I go about this session? Do I just tell them I work in a school so have already found a job?

Thanks everyone
You need to have proof of your job search - even if you have a job to return to. On the application, you agreed to look for suitable employment. Start recording anything you do regarding job search and bring it to the session.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
S2coffee wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 9:28 pm
Having some difficulty applying for ei here. I work for the school board and during the summer we can apply for ei. However, while working for the board I also worked (still work) a part time job on the side.

So, the part of the application where it asks if I had work elsewhere in last 52 weeks, I clicked yes, but it is not giving me the option to choose that I still currently work there. It's asking why I separated from it... So I'm unsure what to do. The school board was my main source of income. And the funny thing is that when i filled out the start and end date of my partime job, it asks you to input the latest shift you worked if you still "currently work there", which makes this whole application so confusing. Seeing how it doesn't give me an option to say I still work there on the next page.
Ya I wish they would update that part of the application. It's annoying. Select Shortage of Work. You still need to request a ROE from the employer you still work for (it will increase your benefit and weeks of entitlement if Service Canada gets the ROE). Ask your employer to put a comment in it stating that you are still working there.
Last edited by cat7kk2 on Jul 7th, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
doobievibes wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 1:37 am
My wife works for a school board and works same days as teachers - month of July and August off without pay. We usually apply for EI for those two months. Usually it's a new claim every year - as we often apply at the end of June. Last year we applied late - end of July. So, when we applied this time (end of June) they reactivated last year's claim with an end date of July 28th.

Question is:

Can we apply for a new claim on July 28th for remaining August?

Or should we call right away and have them not reactivate last year's claim, but instead, start a new one?

Or can the old claim be extended?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
You can apply again at the end of July. The current renewal from your previous claim only used hours/earnings from July 2016-July 2017. When you apply again at the end of July, it will use the hours/earnings worked in the past 52 weeks.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
garcimud wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:17 pm
Sorry if I asked question already being answered here, but there is 1010pages that I really couldn't go through.

Example:

Employer (Ontario) laid off employee and pay him severance. Let say person worked 10years at the company and they are giving him 2weeks of pay for each year he worked for the same company. severance pay is than 20weeks.

Question:

Is person entitle to full 52weeks of EI after severance pay is depleted (assume after 20weeks)?

For 20weeks he will be on his own and than EI will kick in with additional 52weeks of pay (assuming person will not find job in this 20 + 52 weeks)?

or

person will be on his own for 20weeks and than EI will start paying him for the next (52 - 20weeks) 32weeks (again assuming person will not find another job in this whole severance + EI insurable time)

Thanks
The first one. The benefit period gets extended for each week of severance payments.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
dave343 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 6:21 am
Any suggestions much appreciated.

When leaving an employer and optioning to have a pension transfered into a LIRA, with the remaining non tax shelterd amound paid out in cash, is this considered earnings to EI? And if so, is there any legal way around this, eg; deposing the cash portion into a RRSP or have it invested in another way so it's no longer considered earnings to them? And this is speaking after the fact, as I know when optioning you can select LIRA/RRSP but instead LIRA/CASH was optioned, and so now I want to transfer the cash somewhere so it's not considered earnngs. If that's how the government sees it. Government is always first in line to collect, and last in line to pay out... Thanks
See here for lots of reading on the subject. You will have to decide what is in your best interest financially.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... ml#a5_13_0
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
Tulowitzki2 wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:34 pm
Wondering if someone can answer this for me.

I am currently on an EI claim but was recently called back by my old company to do a short 2 month contract. I work out of town so my schedule is as follows: work 15 days, off for 12, and then work 16 days and the contract is up.

My boss has already told me i will be laid off after as there is no work available after the contract is over.

My question is do I report this as full time or part time work? it is a very short contract but the hours I will be reporting are pretty large since I work 12 hour days. I am at a remote jobsite with no cell service so I can't call to ask them.

One more question. The first day that I was able to file my report was either June 29 or June 30. Do I have 3 weeks from that date to file my report before it gets flagged for being late? So July 21 would be my deadline?

Thanks
Sounds like full time, but they will have to adjudicate it. See here for more details: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a2_3_2
Call them up and explain the situation.

Since you are being laid off at the end of the contract, you wont have any problems getting it renewed. If they look into it and determine it isn't full time, then they will let you know and you will just report the hours/earnings like usual.
Jul 6, 2018
2 posts
Medical EI Question

Beginning of June I had a major relapse of mental illness. Can't work, difficulty driving, difficulty with daily tasks, will take a few weeks to months before I can get back to work. Actively in treatment.

(1) Partner and I had bought tickets months ago to a small weekend music festival nearby us (within Canada) in August. Don't know whether or not I'll be well enough to attend yet. If I am stable enough to try attending, but am still not back to work, will EI have any concerns with this?

(2) When does a medical EI claim end - do you tell them you're better or do you just start reporting your income once you're back to work and they deduct that from benefits?

Not interested in scamming the system, want to be as honest as possible. Helpful replies appreciated. Thanks folks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1783 posts
600 upvotes
garcimud wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:17 pm

Example:

Question:

or

Thanks
Generally you’re have to collect all your benefits within 52 weeks. If you have severance for 20 weeks you won’t get EIin this period.

Because you’re getting a severance your benefit period will be extended an additional 20 weeks.

So you would not get paid for 20 weeks and then you would collect EI for whatever you’re entitled to. You have 52 weeks to use up that entitlement (it wouldn’t be for the full 52 weeks likely somewhere around 40-45 weeks depending on how many hours you worked and was the unemployment rate is in your region).
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1783 posts
600 upvotes
onomatopoeia1 wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 3:06 pm
Medical EI Question

Beginning of June I had a major relapse of mental illness. Can't work, difficulty driving, difficulty with daily tasks, will take a few weeks to months before I can get back to work. Actively in treatment.

(1) Partner and I had bought tickets months ago to a small weekend music festival nearby us (within Canada) in August. Don't know whether or not I'll be well enough to attend yet. If I am stable enough to try attending, but am still not back to work, will EI have any concerns with this?

(2) When does a medical EI claim end - do you tell them you're better or do you just start reporting your income once you're back to work and they deduct that from benefits?

Not interested in scamming the system, want to be as honest as possible. Helpful replies appreciated. Thanks folks.
You can collect up to 15 weeks of medical benefits on EI. After the 15 weeks, your claim is over.

If your doctor advised you only need off let’s say 8 weeks and put that in their medical note, you would only be approved for the 8 weeks unless a subsequent note was received.

You attending a music festival on the weekend wouldn’t be an issue regardless of what benefits you’re on.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)