Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2018 10:39 pm
Jul 8, 2018
1 posts
So I got The message I was approved for EI at about 12am Friday the 6th.. I didn't put my direct deposit info in until Friday at 6am.. it says my payments were issued July 5th .. should I expect a check or will it be possible direct deposit will come in.. how long after payment issued do they mail a check?
Jul 8, 2018
2 posts
EI Overpaid Benefits Question

So my wife received a letter in the mail last week, stating that she was overpaid EI in 2013(!). During the time period in question, the CRA claims that she was working for two weeks in September, and received EI benefits during those two weeks.

We’re still sorting through her records to confirm that this was the case. If it was, it certainly wasn’t our intention to defraud the government.

I’m wondering if anyone has been through this before, and what their experience was. It sounds like we’ll have to pay the money back (fair enough) plus interest since that time period. Five years of interest.

They also require an explanation of why she claimed $0 for that time period. The only reason I could think is either it was an error, or she didn’t get an actual pay cheque for that period, and figured it didn’t count as earning.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
AmyS89714 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 1:08 pm
So I got The message I was approved for EI at about 12am Friday the 6th.. I didn't put my direct deposit info in until Friday at 6am.. it says my payments were issued July 5th .. should I expect a check or will it be possible direct deposit will come in.. how long after payment issued do they mail a check?
First payment should come in cheque. After that it is direct deposit.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
dsmith39 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 3:02 pm

So my wife received a letter in the mail last week, stating that she was overpaid EI in 2013(!). During the time period in question, the CRA claims that she was working for two weeks in September, and received EI benefits during those two weeks.

We’re still sorting through her records to confirm that this was the case. If it was, it certainly wasn’t our intention to defraud the government.

I’m wondering if anyone has been through this before, and what their experience was. It sounds like we’ll have to pay the money back (fair enough) plus interest since that time period. Five years of interest.

They also require an explanation of why she claimed $0 for that time period. The only reason I could think is either it was an error, or she didn’t get an actual pay cheque for that period, and figured it didn’t count as earning.
Find all the documentation you can (especially the paystub and ROE). The ROE may show the earnings in those two weeks. Or it could be a mistake on the ROE. So get as much info as you can and respond to the investigator. Mistakes happen; as long as it is innocent your wife will be fine.
Mar 4, 2018
41 posts
10 upvotes
dsmith39 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 3:02 pm

b166er1337 is correct, but I also wanted to add that the interest only gets charged from the day they send you the final letter letting you know of their findings (after this first letter you received). Interest will not be charged from 2013.
Jul 9, 2018
1 posts
Hi, I rsvp'd to a wedding that will be out of town months ago. I've recently been layed off. I just received a lettter for a mandatory meeting that happens to fall on a day I'll be out of town, in another province. I intend to call and reschedule. My benefits just started, so I'm wondering how much trouble will this cause. I bought my train ticket before I got layed off. I'm a little stressed out.
Jul 8, 2018
2 posts
This makes me feel a lot better, thanks for the help b166er1337 and cat7kk2!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
Dollytrolley wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 1:47 am
Hi, I rsvp'd to a wedding that will be out of town months ago. I've recently been layed off. I just received a lettter for a mandatory meeting that happens to fall on a day I'll be out of town, in another province. I intend to call and reschedule. My benefits just started, so I'm wondering how much trouble will this cause. I bought my train ticket before I got layed off. I'm a little stressed out.
Just call and explain. You will be rescheduled.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1172 posts
80 upvotes
If the severance package pushes the EI eligibility for a year and during the waiting period if you are layed off from another lower salary job. Will you be eligible for EI using original higher paying salary EI or new lower salary EI. All this during the waiting period as a result of original severance.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
runeash wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 4:06 pm
If the severance package pushes the EI eligibility for a year and during the waiting period if you are layed off from another lower salary job. Will you be eligible for EI using original higher paying salary EI or new lower salary EI. All this during the waiting period as a result of original severance.
Claim is already established so it will be based on the previous higher paying job.
Jan 16, 2017
11 posts
1 upvote
So will continue to wait as per the original claim even after loosing the second job?
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:25 pm
Claim is already established so it will be based on the previous higher paying job.
Aug 13, 2014
8 posts
Toronto, ON
I am 50 years old and I have been working in a company that has rotating shifts. One month day shift one month night all year round. I work 12 hour shift 2 days then off 3 days and then 2 says 12 hour shift again. It's taking a huge toll on my body and my employer is unable to give me something more consistent. I spoke to my doctor and he said to find a day time job as the night shift is not cutting it out for me and risk of falling asleep on the road on the way home. Can I get EI if I quit? I have found a job that is on call day shift or afternoon but I want to know if I can fight to get Ei before I take the on call job elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4796 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Bobulous wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 4:25 am
I am 50 years old and I have been working in a company that has rotating shifts. One month day shift one month night all year round. I work 12 hour shift 2 days then off 3 days and then 2 says 12 hour shift again. It's taking a huge toll on my body and my employer is unable to give me something more consistent. I spoke to my doctor and he said to find a day time job as the night shift is not cutting it out for me and risk of falling asleep on the road on the way home. Can I get EI if I quit? I have found a job that is on call day shift or afternoon but I want to know if I can fight to get Ei before I take the on call job elsewhere.
I doubt you can get EI as your doctor just say find an alternate job (to save your health from getting bad). The best option is move to the job you just found, don't bother about EI.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
Bobulous wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 4:25 am
Get a doctor's note that specified he recommends you to quit the job to search for normal day jobs.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9377 posts
3028 upvotes
Calgary
amitabh wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 12:27 am
So will continue to wait as per the original claim even after loosing the second job?
Yes, as long as you are being laid off from the 2nd job and not fired due to misconduct.