• Dec 11th, 2018 10:46 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
custodian wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 2:55 am
I didn't even notice that I made a payment until I followed up on the date and amount in online banking and realized something was amiss. They even ran my social security number and made no mention that I paid off the previous fine. Just to rope them in more I'll ask them if I made a payment... If not... watch out :)
You didn't notice you wrote a cheque to the Receiver General and mailed it in/dropped it off at Service Canada?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
custodian wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 2:56 am
Not at all, but dues need to be due.
I have no idea what that means
Sep 6, 2018
8 posts
I mean, if I miss work due to injury requiring surgery, I am entitled to Employment Insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
custodian wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 6:25 pm
I mean, if I miss work due to injury requiring surgery, I am entitled to Employment Insurance.
And your claim is subject to audit. Good luck.
Oct 12, 2014
212 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
Should one use Variable Best Weeks if their employer paid a base yearly salary but the biweekly pay varied due to additional overtime pay?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
yellowlight18 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 1:35 am
Should one use Variable Best Weeks if their employer paid a base yearly salary but the biweekly pay varied due to additional overtime pay?
If it makes a difference, yes. You'll need to do the math. If you're over the max for the year it doesn't matter regardless
Oct 12, 2014
212 posts
13 upvotes
North York, ON
clseea wrote:
Sep 11th, 2018 3:00 am
If it makes a difference, yes. You'll need to do the math. If you're over the max for the year it doesn't matter regardless
Is there a sample calculation? Sorry I have not done this before.
Oct 16, 2011
166 posts
73 upvotes
What exactly will I be reporting when my EI claim is approved?

Like what do they ask you? I know that you need to report any earnings, and if you were out of Canada or sick. Do I need to have the dates that I sent out applications, networked with people or visited offices? I can gather this information I just need to know what I will be reporting each week.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4863 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
SillyRabbit wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 1:57 am
What exactly will I be reporting when my EI claim is approved?

Like what do they ask you? I know that you need to report any earnings, and if you were out of Canada or sick. Do I need to have the dates that I sent out applications, networked with people or visited offices? I can gather this information I just need to know what I will be reporting each week.
If they ask you go to an information session, you need to have a list of job you applied for (all details date you applied, company name and job title....)

On a weekly basis, you have to report if you are ready and available to work, if you are out of the country or no, did you receive any money, did you work ….
Sep 11, 2018
1 posts
I have been having issues since I filed in May. My previous employer did not do my ROE right. They corrected it once but did not correct everything. I attempted to get it corrected but it as never done. I called in and advised them I had 4 weeks severance and the amount was on the ROE but not documented that it was severance pay. I was told it would be taken care of. In June, In got a letter that I had been overpaid because they did not factor in the vacation pay or the severance. The vacation pay had been deducted from the first payment. I was ok with paying it back. In August, I get a lettet stating that there was new information and everything changed again. I had just paid off the overage I had been advised I had to pay. I called in after 50% was deducted from the pay I was to receive and I had received a letter saying it had all been paid off. I was told there was a new ROE done in June(I have never received this and not showing online). Also, In July I was advised of this ROE and that it had been used at that time to evaluate the pay back then. I understood in June as it was based on the $2,000 severance pay that my employer had paid(4 weeks severance) me that they had not disclosed on the ROE was severance. I was the one who informed EI of this fact. I don't understand in August why they redid the calculation when it had all been corrected prior. Also, I got a letter today stating I owe $550 and payments of $574 has been deducted which is not correct. To date they have taken $1,396 not $574. I have already involved my MPs office because this has been an ongoing issue and it appears that people don't know what they are doing and I still do not have this ROE nor is it online.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1611 posts
160 upvotes
St. Johns
Looking for some additional advice. As mentioned previously, my wife was denied for EI benefits as a contract teacher because she also quit a very casual 1 hr a week job at the same time her contract ended (end of school year). She appealed the decision but was ultimately told that leaving the job for any reason was not acceptable, even if the job was not her primary source of income.

She started teaching again today as a substitute, which of course is part-time and unpredictable. Can she start a new claim on the basis that she just started a part-time job but needs EI to cover the gaps when she receiving enough hours? I'm not sure what the impact of the initial claim decision has on future claims.

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)