• Dec 19th, 2018 8:04 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
RyanS219 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 5:17 pm
Looking for some additional advice. As mentioned previously, my wife was denied for EI benefits as a contract teacher because she also quit a very casual 1 hr a week job at the same time her contract ended (end of school year). She appealed the decision but was ultimately told that leaving the job for any reason was not acceptable, even if the job was not her primary source of income.

She started teaching again today as a substitute, which of course is part-time and unpredictable. Can she start a new claim on the basis that she just started a part-time job but needs EI to cover the gaps when she receiving enough hours? I'm not sure what the impact of the initial claim decision has on future claims.
She'll need to work enough hours after the initial disqualification to requalify.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1623 posts
162 upvotes
St. Johns
clseea wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 10:08 pm
She'll need to work enough hours after the initial disqualification to requalify.
Just to clarify, all the hours from her teaching contract don't qualify?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10012 posts
1068 upvotes
question..wife on mat leave with EI paid for a year..can she leave the country going to Singapore for 3 months?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9478 posts
3135 upvotes
Calgary
RyanS219 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 5:26 am
Just to clarify, all the hours from her teaching contract don't qualify?
All the hours accumulated before quitting that 1hr/week job won't qualify, unfortunately.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Sep 16, 2018
2 posts
Hello,

My husband got laid off on Aug 24, 2018 and he applied for EI on Aug 29, 2018. He got 4 weeks vacation/severance so from what I've read, there will be no EI payable for the first 4 weeks and also during the 1 week waiting period correct? He has been driving for Uber since last week beginning Sept 10, 2018. From my understanding, these earnings will have no impact on EI since it is during the 4 weeks that are not payable since he got vacation/severance correct? Only earnings during the waiting period will be deducted from the EI payable in the first week of the claim - is this correct?

Also, for Uber drivers, is it true that you report your gross earnings LESS EXPENSES (gas, CCA deduction, oil changes) once you do submit your weekly EI reports? Please confirm and thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by LeilaniO17590 on Sep 17th, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9478 posts
3135 upvotes
Calgary
You are correct on all counts.

As for uber earnings, I can't answer it for you. Best to get official answer from Service Canada.
Sep 16, 2018
2 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:15 pm
You are correct on all counts.

As for uber earnings, I can't answer it for you. Best to get official answer from Service Canada.
I came across this from Service Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... iving.html

It states "The amount of self-employed earnings that you must declare is the gross amount of self-employment earnings minus any operating expenses related to those earnings.
Operating expenses are the cost of running your business, which could include the cost of items used to earn revenue, such as rent, materials, and gas; and allowances for depreciation on capital investments directly connected to that income."

From the above, it seems that it is earnings LESS EXPENSES....agree? I tried calling Service Canada but was put on hold for over half an hour during my lunch hour so I gave up :-(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
LeilaniO17590 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:29 pm
I came across this from Service Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... iving.html

It states "The amount of self-employed earnings that you must declare is the gross amount of self-employment earnings minus any operating expenses related to those earnings.
Operating expenses are the cost of running your business, which could include the cost of items used to earn revenue, such as rent, materials, and gas; and allowances for depreciation on capital investments directly connected to that income."

From the above, it seems that it is earnings LESS EXPENSES....agree? I tried calling Service Canada but was put on hold for over half an hour during my lunch hour so I gave up :-(
I'm pretty sure Uber falls under taxi driving so your husband may not be eligible for EI since it'll be considered a full work week regardless. Call in to be sure though
Jan 20, 2018
3 posts
I am currently on a running Ei claim. I found a job overseas but realized it's very dangerous, un-stable, violent climate (in that country) and thus came back after a month's work. Obviously I will declare I was outside Canada and unable to work. but what about this foreign income and should I declare I stopped working ? even if this job has nothing to do with Canada (not paying any EI premiums or wouldn't have been able to claim EI if they had fired me).
May 3, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
tropicana wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 10:23 pm
Does anyone know if I can start mat leave two+ months after I give birth? My EDD is end of Jan, but my annual bonus usually gets paid out In March. My understanding is that any payments I receive while I’m on mat leave will reduce my EI so I’m hoping to have it paid out before I start my mat leave. Any thoughts? Thanks!
This would depend on when the actual work was done that this bonus would apply to. Is this an of fiscal pay-out? Or are you paid in arrears? I would suggest you call Service Canada and speak to an agent regarding actual impact. Just because you receive a payment during your mat leave does not necessarily mean your entitlement will be deducted, unless one is actually working during their leave.
Oct 28, 2004
213 posts
27 upvotes
enigmatik wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 12:36 pm
This would depend on when the actual work was done that this bonus would apply to. Is this an of fiscal pay-out? Or are you paid in arrears? I would suggest you call Service Canada and speak to an agent regarding actual impact. Just because you receive a payment during your mat leave does not necessarily mean your entitlement will be deducted, unless one is actually working during their leave.
It's an fiscal payout - an annual bonus for work performed in 2018 but paid out in 2019. I'll give Service Canada a call to confirm. Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9478 posts
3135 upvotes
Calgary
chaoslord2k wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:33 pm
I am currently on a running Ei claim. I found a job overseas but realized it's very dangerous, un-stable, violent climate (in that country) and thus came back after a month's work. Obviously I will declare I was outside Canada and unable to work. but what about this foreign income and should I declare I stopped working ? even if this job has nothing to do with Canada (not paying any EI premiums or wouldn't have been able to claim EI if they had fired me).
No need to declare the foreign income.
Jan 20, 2018
3 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:04 pm
No need to declare the foreign income.
won't it be a problem when doing tax report and EI will see foreign income?

also what about quitting the job, should I report it? I guess it's not a problem since the foreign company will never send a ROE to Canada
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9478 posts
3135 upvotes
Calgary
chaoslord2k wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 8:27 pm
won't it be a problem when doing tax report and EI will see foreign income?

also what about quitting the job, should I report it? I guess it's not a problem since the foreign company will never send a ROE to Canada
It is different. EI doesn't care about non Canadian work related income. If you win 649, EI doesn't care.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)