• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 10:16 am
May 3, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 11:16 am
It is different. EI doesn't care about non Canadian work related income.
No.

EI is paid to those who are available and looking for work, domestic or elsewhere. It does not matter if you are in Canada, the US, the Middle East or Mars.

First off, if you are on EI and leave Canada, that needs to be reported, especially if the reason is to work. Service Canada co-ordinates with CBSA regularly.

Second, if you work, that needs to reported, and the income as well. Again, it doesn't matter where this income was obtained.

You should not be offering blatantly incorrect advice like this. EI exists as a supplement to aid those that require a hand while looking for work. It is NOT a double-dipping resource.
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 11:16 am
If you win 649, EI doesn't care.
Yes. This does not impact an EI claim as earnings.

However, it would be a massive ethical disgrace if an individual would elect to remain on EI even after winning the 6/49.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9476 posts
3130 upvotes
Calgary
enigmatik wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 11:42 am
No.

EI is paid to those who are available and looking for work, domestic or elsewhere. It does not matter if you are in Canada, the US, the Middle East or Mars.

First off, if you are on EI and leave Canada, that needs to be reported, especially if the reason is to work. Service Canada co-ordinates with CBSA regularly.

Second, if you work, that needs to reported, and the income as well. Again, it doesn't matter where this income was obtained.

You should not be offering blatantly incorrect advice like this. EI exists as a supplement to aid those that require a hand while looking for work. It is NOT a double-dipping resource.

Yes. This does not impact an EI claim as earnings.

However, it would be a massive ethical disgrace if an individual would elect to remain on EI even after winning the 6/49.
It was only toward his specific instance where he was overseas making an earning. He already reported being out of the country and not available for work in Canada. His earnings while overseas will not affect the EI claim.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
May 3, 2006
190 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Aljoey66 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 1:57 pm
In the policy it says my benefits may not be paid if I'm absent from Canada without agreement from case manager in advance to pay benefits during this period. I want to leave Canada for 3 days but I'm worried if i tell my insurance company they would think I'm not disabled and cancel my payments.
You've already answered your own inquiry. If the policy states you cannot leave Canada without advising your case manager, and you leave without doing so, you would be breaching the policy.
Aljoey66 wrote:
I asked around and received to following information:
If I was on EI or ei sickness benefits and I'm absent from Canada, my payments would stop because EI has access to border information.
While the CBSA communicates with Service Canada on a regular basis, one's EI benefits would not simply stop simply because of Service Canada having access to border crossings.

Rather, any person on regular EI has to continually prove that they are ready and looking for work. Leaving the country for a vacation would counteract this.

If one were on Sick EI, the notion above would also apply because the reason sickness benefits are even paid is due to the fact that person would be trying to find work if their sickness was not inhibiting them.

So, if an individual who is not able to work due to an injury or illness leaves the country the reason would have to be one that is contingent in them still receiving benefits.
Aljoey66 wrote:
Does my std insurance company have the same access to border information like EI?
Has anyone ever been on std and was absent from Canada for a few days get their claim denied? Or did not have any problems?
This is a risk you need to assess.

Ask yourself this: if you are sick or injured and are not able to work or find work, then how are you able to leave (for vacation or otherwise) Canada on your own accord?
Sep 19, 2018
1 posts
Hello I was just wondering about returning to work from EI sickness benefits. I went to see my doctor a little more than two weeks ago and he told me I could go back to work. However when I told my employer I could return he said he would need a doctor's note. I contacted my doctor's office that originally put me on EI for a note and I have yet to receive one. I was just concerned if I should report those two weeks on EI as illness benefits or to wait for the doctor's note but I do not know how much longer I will have to wait. I do not want to miss any income I can get from EI but also do not want to get into any predicament. I am not sure if the 15 week entitlement has any impact on this. This is my first experience with this, I am not sure if I was supposed to have received a medical note for work originally from my doctor after this visit or if this is something uncommon?

Many thanks for any input in advance.
Sep 16, 2018
2 posts
Hi all,
I just want to say thank you all people of Service Canada who worked with my pretty crazy case.
Thank you Simi and Mikaela from New Westminster, Mona and Matt from Toronto, Claudia and unknown hero investigator from Alberta, and Nadine from Saskatchewan.You all guys were cool, patient and professional.

My special thanks to Matt from Toronto. If your AH ex-employer rejects to issue your RoE and
hasn't done that for 8 (eight !!!) months, just "call Matt" from Toronto Service Canada.
The guy is really badass. So be ready to take the hit of your own responsibility.
I was lucky and he finally said "OK, I accept your explanation. Now I want to talk to your ex-boss."
I dont know what he said to my ex-employer but that MF (who is a millionaire BTW) sent my RoE by the express mail.
Moreover he lost his shit so much that he recalled he owes me some money for paid emergency leave.
And the idiot sent the second RoE that made the case even more complicated.

OK, people, I am not a good writer and my English sucks, so I'm rounding off.
Pls, let remember, the folks from Canada Service are outgunned and outnumbered. Their software is outdated and some of them need more training. And that's not their fault.
Sep 16, 2018
2 posts
all that EI and CDSA stuff is kept in DBs. AI (ok, even old fashion SQL could do that) distributed application just need some access to analyse and generate reports "to whom it may concern". no big deal.
Oct 2, 2006
151 posts
20 upvotes
Hi guys quick question

my wife is on EI at the moment and I know your not supposed to leave the country but an elderly relative of hers is sending her a ticket to go visit in the US. Is there anyway to get around EI cutting benefits for that time period she is out of the country?

I was thinking about getting her to call and explain why she's leaving but I wasnt sure if there was anything else I should be doing
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7447 posts
4310 upvotes
Edmonton
vancityallstar93 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 1:02 pm
Hi guys quick question

my wife is on EI at the moment and I know your not supposed to leave the country but an elderly relative of hers is sending her a ticket to go visit in the US. Is there anyway to get around EI cutting benefits for that time period she is out of the country?

I was thinking about getting her to call and explain why she's leaving but I wasnt sure if there was anything else I should be doing
If she's not in the country looking for work (and she's not on maternity/sick leave), then why should she be getting EI?

C
Oct 2, 2006
151 posts
20 upvotes
Well the easy answer to that would be people dont go door to door looking for work. You don't have to be in Canada to apply for jobs online...

Anyway the question was really if anyone had any experience or advice dealing with EI where they didnt lose their benefits for the week they were out of town
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8335 posts
1409 upvotes
Edmonton
vancityallstar93 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 2:04 pm
Well the easy answer to that would be people dont go door to door looking for work. You don't have to be in Canada to apply for jobs online...

Anyway the question was really if anyone had any experience or advice dealing with EI where they didnt lose their benefits for the week they were out of town
No. She's going on a vacation. She will be disentitled for that week. There's no other way to look at it other than it being a vacation. Being on vacation doesn't in any way fit the criteria for being ready, willing and able to work.
Apr 20, 2011
449 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
My wife just started her maternity leave. Our plan is to do 1 year (52 weeks) leave as follows:

(1) She takes maternity leave for the first 17 weeks (also get her company's top-up to 100% pay for the first 6 weeks)
(2) Then Paternal leave for the next 30 weeks
(3) I will then do paternal leave for the last 5 weeks (since my company will give me top up to 100% pay for 5 weeks)

The questions I have regarding this plan is:

A) We just submitted the EI application for her maternity and paternal leave (i.e. (1) and (2) above), but didn't indicate that I will take 5 weeks leave at the end (i.e. (3) above). Do we just need to revise the application and resubmit?
B) The current EI payment for her says its $547 - $68 tax = $479 net pay per week. Is this normal, maximum amount she should be getting?
C) If I do (3) above, what happens to my wife's EI payment for the last 5 weeks? Does she get reduced EI payments in the last 5 weeks or does she even get anything at all since I am taking a 5 weeks of the 52 week shared time?
D) Is it financially better for both of us, to do (3) above or should I just let her take 35 weeks pat. leave? Should I take advantage of my company 5 week 100% pay top up?
E) What is waiting period? It is applicable to anything I have said above?
Sep 11, 2011
304 posts
95 upvotes
dainfamous41 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2018 10:39 pm
My wife just started her maternity leave. Our plan is to do 1 year (52 weeks) leave as follows:

(1) She takes maternity leave for the first 17 weeks (also get her company's top-up to 100% pay for the first 6 weeks)
(2) Then Paternal leave for the next 30 weeks
(3) I will then do paternal leave for the last 5 weeks (since my company will give me top up to 100% pay for 5 weeks)

The questions I have regarding this plan is:

A) We just submitted the EI application for her maternity and paternal leave (i.e. (1) and (2) above), but didn't indicate that I will take 5 weeks leave at the end (i.e. (3) above). Do we just need to revise the application and resubmit?
B) The current EI payment for her says its $547 - $68 tax = $479 net pay per week. Is this normal, maximum amount she should be getting?
C) If I do (3) above, what happens to my wife's EI payment for the last 5 weeks? Does she get reduced EI payments in the last 5 weeks or does she even get anything at all since I am taking a 5 weeks of the 52 week shared time?
D) Is it financially better for both of us, to do (3) above or should I just let her take 35 weeks pat. leave? Should I take advantage of my company 5 week 100% pay top up?
E) What is waiting period? It is applicable to anything I have said above?
Prior to your wife applying for EI she should have read the following as all your answers are here except for "D" as that's a decision only you can make.
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ental.html
Sep 23, 2018
1 posts
I made a claim after being dismissed, I have a new job and it's full time. My question is when I do my next reporting and say I have full time job will my claim just be closed or will I get back pay for the week's Ive been waiting if the claim is approved?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9476 posts
3130 upvotes
Calgary
JohnT47598 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 6:51 pm
I made a claim after being dismissed, I have a new job and it's full time. My question is when I do my next reporting and say I have full time job will my claim just be closed or will I get back pay for the week's Ive been waiting if the claim is approved?
If your claim is approved, you will be back paid for the eligible weeks.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)