• Dec 19th, 2018 9:10 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
dainfamous41 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 12:16 pm
The answers to my questions A) and C) are not really explained well. Can anyone clarify?
She will need to call in to revise the amount of weeks she'll be taking.
If you're taking 5 weeks, she will get 5 fewer weeks. She doesn't get a partial payment since parental benefits are a combined/shared amount
Apr 20, 2011
450 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
clseea wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 4:56 pm
She will need to call in to revise the amount of weeks she'll be taking.
If you're taking 5 weeks, she will get 5 fewer weeks. She doesn't get a partial payment since parental benefits are a combined/shared amount
So she will get nothing for those 5 weeks?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
dainfamous41 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 8:29 pm
So she will get nothing for those 5 weeks?
You can collect benefits at the same time, but you're splitting the 35 weeks. If you're taking 5 she only gets 30. Between the 2 of you you'll get 35 total parental weeks. Split however you want.
Jul 6, 2018
7 posts
Returning to work from sickness benefits

First off, thank you for the helpful information from members on this forum.

I have been on sickness benefits and am going to a re-orientation shift at work on Monday. This will help me determine my readiness for work. I have up to four more weeks eligible on my sickness benefit claim.

If the shift goes well, I am a casual employee and will begin picking up shifts as they are available. I will probably be able to physically work 2-3 8 hour shifts per week at the beginning, also depending on shift availability.

My question is in regards to reporting. If on Monday I am able to return to work without issue, do I now change my reports from “unable to work due to sickness” to “ready willing and able to work”? Or do I leave the reports all as “unable to work due to sickness” until the end of sickness benefits, report the days I do work/income, and let EI calculate the difference?

The reason is that I will probably only be physically able to work 2-3 days a week as I transition back to work… so does that technically still mean I’m under sickness benefits? Do I need to get a note from my Dr for this?

As a casual employee, if shifts are not available despite me being ready, willing, and able to work, does my claim convert to a regular EI claim?

Also, at what point do I no longer need to continue reporting?

The process for this isn’t the most clear. Any advice is appreciated.
Apr 20, 2011
450 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
clseea wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 10:22 pm
You can collect benefits at the same time, but you're splitting the 35 weeks. If you're taking 5 she only gets 30. Between the 2 of you you'll get 35 total parental weeks. Split however you want.
Understood. But how do the payments work? Will she get paid EI up to 30 weeks and then stop, then I get the remaining 5 weeks pay of EI + my company top up?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
dainfamous41 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 7:17 pm
Understood. But how do the payments work? Will she get paid EI up to 30 weeks and then stop, then I get the remaining 5 weeks pay of EI + my company top up?
If you plan on taking your 5 weeks after her 30 then yes. I don't know when you plan on taking your weeks though... It's really not as complicated as you're making it
Apr 20, 2011
450 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough
clseea wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 7:43 pm
If you plan on taking your 5 weeks after her 30 then yes. I don't know when you plan on taking your weeks though... It's really not as complicated as you're making it
Agreed its not. I just want to make sure it makes sense for me to take advantage of my company top up. My understanding is it's free vacation and losing my wife's EI is not a big deal for those weeks.
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes
can someone please advise me about EI eligibility in following two scenarios.
Lets say I have a 3 month severance package. I can apply for EI in Jan 2019.
#1. I pick up a very low level tech job just to get exposure to some technologies I have not learnt in my high profile manager level job. However as the workload in this low end job is likely to be crazy stressful and way below my calibre, I quit after 6 weeks.
#2. I wait till Jan 02 to start the above job. I have just become eligible for applying to EI but decide to hold off for 6 weeks and instead start work at above mentioned place. 6 weeks later I quit and apply for EI.
Will I be still eligible for EI in above two circumstances?
for Scenario # 2, can I argue with EI adjudicator that I had a manager level job for past 5 years and could not survive the working conditions of this low end job which in any case is not commensurate with my education and experience?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4863 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto
Louking wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 1:05 pm
can someone please advise me about EI eligibility in following two scenarios.
Lets say I have a 3 month severance package. I can apply for EI in Jan 2019.
#1. I pick up a very low level tech job just to get exposure to some technologies I have not learnt in my high profile manager level job. However as the workload in this low end job is likely to be crazy stressful and way below my calibre, I quit after 6 weeks.
#2. I wait till Jan 02 to start the above job. I have just become eligible for applying to EI but decide to hold off for 6 weeks and instead start work at above mentioned place. 6 weeks later I quit and apply for EI.
Will I be still eligible for EI in above two circumstances?
for Scenario # 2, can I argue with EI adjudicator that I had a manager level job for past 5 years and could not survive the working conditions of this low end job which in any case is not commensurate with my education and experience?
You should apply for EI as soon as you got terminated. Since you have 3 months severance package, your EI will not start until after 3 months + 1 week.

In both scenario you quit so "bye bye to EI too". EI is only for those who got terminated and can not find a job.
Nov 1, 2013
222 posts
25 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Sep 29th, 2018 3:18 pm
In both scenario you quit so "bye bye to EI too". EI is only for those who got terminated and can not find a job.
I dont think it is entirely true. Although one would face problems in getting EI, just because you tried unsuccessfully to work in a job that has nothing to do with your qualifications and experience does not mean end of the world for your EI entitlement.
However I would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience of this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8338 posts
1413 upvotes
Edmonton
Louking wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 8:19 am
I dont think it is entirely true. Although one would face problems in getting EI, just because you tried unsuccessfully to work in a job that has nothing to do with your qualifications and experience does not mean end of the world for your EI entitlement.
However I would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience of this.
You need to exhaust reasonable alternatives to quitting and show just cause. Quitting in the scenario you're describing isn't just cause. You took the job knowing the scope of it.
Oct 1, 2018
2 posts
My husband had filed for a change in benefit type after his sickness benefits ran out. He had a Service Canada agent help him with his last online report and that was when he applied for the change to regular benefits.He did receive the last week of sickness benefit he was entitled to but the change for benefit was rejected until they reviewed his information even though he had supplied a letter from his doctor saying he could return to work with limited duties along with a letter from his employer saying that they could not accommodate his return because no light duties exist in this type of construction work. EI denied his claim for regular benefits and he was told by a Service Canada Agent that it was denied because the doctors letter was not specific enough about his physical restrictions and limitations. He submitted a request for reconsideration along with a more specific letter from his doctor regarding what those restrictions were. Also a letter explaining that his request for regular benefits should be granted because he is ready willing and able within doctor ordered physical limitations to return to work and that it is through no fault of his own that his employer cannot accommodate him. A decision still hasn't been made since he sent in the request and letters through the Service Canada Office on Sept 13. He hasn't been notified that they have recieved his request or when to expect a decision. Do you think his request for regular benefits would granted under his circumstances? He has full intentions of returning to his job once his doctor determines he can safely perform his duties. In the meantime should he be looking for some kind of temporary employment to prove that he is making a reasonable effort to find employment ? if his request is granted will he be paid from the time he made the request to convert to regular benefits (back pay) or from the date his request for reconsideration is made? His end of claim date is April 2019. Thanks for any help you can offer
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9478 posts
3135 upvotes
Calgary
Escalate the process by visiting your MP's office. Make an appointment, and then complain.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Oct 7, 2018
1 posts
Im currently on mat leave/parental ei. Im concerned i may be grtting over paid. In the event i am, what happens...will the remainder of my ei months be cancelled...will they correct the amount and i have to owe some other way? Do they take my child tax to cover? Im so confused and cant call as its a holiday.

Ive been on mat leave for a while now and am on it until august, as i chose the 18 months. Yes, i only JUST realized i may be getting over paid as i am receiving the maximum benefit...i did not clue in prior. Im an idiot i guess.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)