Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 4:13 pm
Jul 2, 2018
6 posts
Hey guys,

So I got my previous problem solved!

While I was on the phone with them though, they told me I was allowed to stay on EI even while working part time, so that's what I'm currently doing. I have a couple of short questions about this though.

1. I work at a school, so need the EI more during the Summer as I'm temporarily laid off. If I continue staying on EI until the weeks expire, would I then be able to go on it during the Summer? Or will these hours I'm now working while on EI not count towards going on it again? If this is the case, should I stop it now and then restart in the summer?

2. Not related to the above question, are you supposed to declare quarterly GST checks on your claims? If so, is the amount shown the gross amount?

Thanks a lot! I can respond if anything needs clearing up.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
Marmcg wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 2:26 pm
Im currently on mat leave/parental ei. Im concerned i may be grtting over paid. In the event i am, what happens...will the remainder of my ei months be cancelled...will they correct the amount and i have to owe some other way? Do they take my child tax to cover? Im so confused and cant call as its a holiday.

Ive been on mat leave for a while now and am on it until august, as i chose the 18 months. Yes, i only JUST realized i may be getting over paid as i am receiving the maximum benefit...i did not clue in prior. Im an idiot i guess.
Your 15 weeks of Maternity are paid at 55% of your normal weekly earnings. Once it switches to Parental, you get 33% of your normal weekly earnings since you chose the extended type.
If your worry is something other than this, call them up and ask - they will look into the calculation to make sure.
Last edited by cat7kk2 on Oct 9th, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
masu485 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 5:05 pm
Hey guys,

So I got my previous problem solved!

While I was on the phone with them though, they told me I was allowed to stay on EI even while working part time, so that's what I'm currently doing. I have a couple of short questions about this though.

1. I work at a school, so need the EI more during the Summer as I'm temporarily laid off. If I continue staying on EI until the weeks expire, would I then be able to go on it during the Summer? Or will these hours I'm now working while on EI not count towards going on it again? If this is the case, should I stop it now and then restart in the summer?

2. Not related to the above question, are you supposed to declare quarterly GST checks on your claims? If so, is the amount shown the gross amount?

Thanks a lot! I can respond if anything needs clearing up.
1. You can start another benefit period in the summer if you've accumulated the required number of hours throughout this school year. Go to canada.ca and lookup how many hours you need for your postal code. The other questions depend on your claim expiry date, the number of weeks of eligibility you have on this claim, how many of those weeks you anticipate using before it expires, and whether or not you think you will work the required amount of hours throughout this school year. Post the answers and we can analyze what might be in your best interest.

2. GST refund cheque is not considered earnings for EI purposes. No need to declare it.
Jul 2, 2018
6 posts
cat7kk2 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 9:23 am
1. You can start another benefit period in the summer if you've accumulated the required number of hours throughout this school year. Go to canada.ca and lookup how many hours you need for your postal code. The other questions depend on your claim expiry date, the number of weeks of eligibility you have on this claim, how many of those weeks you anticipate using before it expires, and whether or not you think you will work the required amount of hours throughout this school year. Post the answers and we can analyze what might be in your best interest.

2. GST refund cheque is not considered earnings for EI purposes. No need to declare it.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I know from late August to May I get in enough hours to be able to go on it if I can't find other work during the Summer. That's what happened this year. I just checked and I only have 1 week left of entitlements. I'm just wondering if the counter for hours would start from mid-October? Or from when I started working part time in August?

I hope the guy on the phone didn't trick me into continuing staying on it because it's a minimal amount now, and then not be able to go on it during the Summer when I actually need it.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
masu485 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 1:20 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply!

I know from late August to May I get in enough hours to be able to go on it if I can't find other work during the Summer. That's what happened this year. I just checked and I only have 1 week left of entitlements. I'm just wondering if the counter for hours would start from mid-October? Or from when I started working part time in August?

I hope the guy on the phone didn't trick me into continuing staying on it because it's a minimal amount now, and then not be able to go on it during the Summer when I actually need it.
The counter for hours as you put it goes back 52 weeks from the start date of your new claim next summer, or up until the start date of your previous claim, whichever is shorter. So if you started your EI claim at the end of June 2018 (I'm assuming), they will look at whatever hours you've accumulated since June 2018 for your claim in June 2019.
Oct 1, 2018
2 posts
Does EI notify you that they recieved your request for reconsideration ?
How long does it usually take for them to make their decision on that request?
Aug 31, 2008
535 posts
233 upvotes
Barrie
Hi, thanks for your response in advance.
My daughter has qualified for 8 weeks of sick benefits. She is having an issue getting her money as different people tell her different things. When she talked to the last rep today the rep said that the form or paper that the doctor filled out cannot say indefinite when it comes to the amount of time my daughter will be required to be off. EI is asking her to have the doctor submit a new paper with a specified amount of time. My daughter is asking me what the doctor should put? Should she say it will be for a period of 3 months, 6 months, etc?

She is asking as it is due to mental health and there are no absolutes around time. My daughter would prefer to work but has tried and collapsed a few times. She needs a period of time to be able to focus on counselling and other stuff so she can get a job but not crash and burn (my words, not her's). My daughter has spoken to the doctor and the doctor says she does not know what to put as it will require a reevaluation from time to time as has been happening over the last month or so.

Again, thank you for any guidance that can be provided in this area.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4813 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Halifax55 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 6:53 pm
My daughter has qualified for 8 weeks of sick benefits. She is having an issue getting her money as different people tell her different things. When she talked to the last rep today the rep said that the form or paper that the doctor filled out cannot say indefinite when it comes to the amount of time my daughter will be required to be off. EI is asking her to have the doctor submit a new paper with a specified amount of time. My daughter is asking me what the doctor should put? Should she say it will be for a period of 3 months, 6 months, etc?

She is asking as it is due to mental health and there are no absolutes around time. My daughter would prefer to work but has tried and collapsed a few times. She needs a period of time to be able to focus on counselling and other stuff so she can get a job but not crash and burn (my words, not her's). My daughter has spoken to the doctor and the doctor says she does not know what to put as it will require a reevaluation from time to time as has been happening over the last month or so.

When I submit my sick benefits few years back, my doctor stated a (from date - to date). Before the (to date) , Service Canada will send you another (same form), to be fill-up by your doctor, bring it to your doctor to see if the sick benefit will continue or not.
Jun 29, 2006
73 posts
4 upvotes
Markham, ON
I was let go from my job with severance. What are my options in regards to overtime that was never paid?

I was paid a salary and my job was supposed to be 9-5 Monday to Friday, However, I often would have to stay until 8-9pm and come in on Saturdays, sometimes even Sundays and public holidays. I was never asked to come in or stay later. However, the workload required that I go in and get work done or I would basically have to live there at the end of the month.

I've done some initial calculations of my weekly hours and my average working week varied between 40-58 hours (one hour paid lunch break deducted already).
Jul 6, 2018
5 posts
On sickness benefits with 2 weeks remaining.

Tried to return to work last Monday for a re-orientation shift and found that I wasn't ready and still need time off.

Was paid for the shift.

Question: for reporting, how do I report my availability that day?

I assume I declare the gross earnings, and then for the rest of the days in the two week period I answer "unavailable due to illness".

For the day I went in to work, what do I put?

Thanks in advance
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
virgostar wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:04 am
I was let go from my job with severance. What are my options in regards to overtime that was never paid?

I was paid a salary and my job was supposed to be 9-5 Monday to Friday, However, I often would have to stay until 8-9pm and come in on Saturdays, sometimes even Sundays and public holidays. I was never asked to come in or stay later. However, the workload required that I go in and get work done or I would basically have to live there at the end of the month.

I've done some initial calculations of my weekly hours and my average working week varied between 40-58 hours (one hour paid lunch break deducted already).
This is a question for the labour board of your province. EI is only concerned with what you actually got paid for, when calculating your claim. Call your labour board and if they tell your employer that you are owed money, they will also have to amend the ROE and your EI claim will be recalculated to see if you can get a higher rate and/or more weeks of entitlement.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
onomatopoeia1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 4:50 pm
On sickness benefits with 2 weeks remaining.

Tried to return to work last Monday for a re-orientation shift and found that I wasn't ready and still need time off.

Was paid for the shift.

Question: for reporting, how do I report my availability that day?

I assume I declare the gross earnings, and then for the rest of the days in the two week period I answer "unavailable due to illness".

For the day I went in to work, what do I put?

Thanks in advance
Put that you were sick 5 days each week, unless your doctor has you on any kind of gradual return to work restrictions, in which case you will need a doctor's note outlining those restrictions and you will need to call them up. Also, put the hours of work and earnings in the report, of course.
Last edited by cat7kk2 on Oct 12th, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
Halifax55 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 6:53 pm

cgtlky is correct, but additionally, your doctor should just write the truth. No one from Service Canada will be able to guide the doctor because we are not doctors :) . We have procedures for dealing with notes with no clear dates.
Last edited by cat7kk2 on Oct 12th, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 4, 2018
53 posts
10 upvotes
DianeM64236 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:46 pm
Does EI notify you that they recieved your request for reconsideration ?
How long does it usually take for them to make their decision on that request?
You can call them to see if they've received it. It is typically within 30 days, but may be more if the situation is complex.
Jul 6, 2018
5 posts
cat7kk2 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:05 pm
Put that you were sick 5 days each week, unless your doctor has you on any kind of gradual return to work restrictions, in which case you will need a doctor's note outlining those restrictions and you will need to call them up. Also, put the hours of work and earnings in the report, of course.
Ok, so I indicate sick 5 days each week, but it's still acceptable to work a bit while still on sickness benefits as long as hours and earnings are reported, am I correct?
It's not part of a return to work program. My doctor has me off until the end of the month. I just tried to see if I could go manage to go back early.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)