EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 10:12 pm
Jun 29, 2006
75 posts
4 upvotes
cat7kk2 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:02 pm
This is a question for the labour board of your province. EI is only concerned with what you actually got paid for, when calculating your claim. Call your labour board and if they tell your employer that you are owed money, they will also have to amend the ROE and your EI claim will be recalculated to see if you can get a higher rate and/or more weeks of entitlement.
I haven't received my ROE yet. Should I wait until I get it before attempting to speak to my former employer about the overtime or leave it completely to the Ministry of Labour (Ontario)?
Mar 4, 2018
60 posts
10 upvotes
onomatopoeia1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:47 pm
Ok, so I indicate sick 5 days each week, but it's still acceptable to work a bit while still on sickness benefits as long as hours and earnings are reported, am I correct?
It's not part of a return to work program. My doctor has me off until the end of the month. I just tried to see if I could go manage to go back early.
Yup you're fine to work a little bit.
Mar 4, 2018
60 posts
10 upvotes
virgostar wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:04 pm
I haven't received my ROE yet. Should I wait until I get it before attempting to speak to my former employer about the overtime or leave it completely to the Ministry of Labour (Ontario)?
You may as well wait to see your ROE first... it may be a non-issue. EI can do retroactive modifications of your payments if you should have been getting more. Don't wait to apply tho, if you haven't already.
Oct 14, 2018
3 posts
Hello

I've been sick since August and filed an EI Claim for Sickness Benefits around that time. My employer made a mistake overpaying me on one of the weeks I reported which resulted in me reporting an amount that doesn't add up with my ROE. I have since called Service Canada to correct this and fixed my online reporting which resulted in a delay until today.

My claim was finally escalated and my Service Account EI Claim status says "Decision Made" and my waiting period was supposedly waived, but when I checked my payments all the weeks up until now, every payment resulted in a "Deduction >Other> $438" which resulted in a payment of $0. Even though my benefit fate is $438 and it says my weekly payment should be 300 something after taxes, I don't understand why this happened. I haven't been paid at all from my employer mid August until now and I haven't been working.

I am so stressed and sad over this. I have bills to pay for and I haven't been working for 2 months with no income. I've been living on my savings which is quickly depleting.
Oct 16, 2011
131 posts
40 upvotes
They want me to go to an info session but I have a doctors appointment on that day, has anyone requested a rescheduling? How often are info sessions held?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9459 posts
3123 upvotes
Calgary
Vivien89 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 5:42 am
Hello

I've been sick since August and filed an EI Claim for Sickness Benefits around that time. My employer made a mistake overpaying me on one of the weeks I reported which resulted in me reporting an amount that doesn't add up with my ROE. I have since called Service Canada to correct this and fixed my online reporting which resulted in a delay until today.

My claim was finally escalated and my Service Account EI Claim status says "Decision Made" and my waiting period was supposedly waived, but when I checked my payments all the weeks up until now, every payment resulted in a "Deduction >Other> $438" which resulted in a payment of $0. Even though my benefit fate is $438 and it says my weekly payment should be 300 something after taxes, I don't understand why this happened. I haven't been paid at all from my employer mid August until now and I haven't been working.

I am so stressed and sad over this. I have bills to pay for and I haven't been working for 2 months with no income. I've been living on my savings which is quickly depleting.
did you file bi-weekly reports that you are incapable of working?
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9459 posts
3123 upvotes
Calgary
SillyRabbit wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 9:25 am
They want me to go to an info session but I have a doctors appointment on that day, has anyone requested a rescheduling? How often are info sessions held?
it depends; ask to reschedule ASAP.
Oct 14, 2018
3 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 12:13 pm
did you file bi-weekly reports that you are incapable of working?
Hi, yes I did. I just filed the most recent one required yesterday as well.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9459 posts
3123 upvotes
Calgary
Vivien89 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi, yes I did. I just filed the most recent one required yesterday as well.
That's weird. How much did your employer overpaid you? What happened to that money?

It would have been much easier if you didn't declare the money since it is not on the ROE, and sort out the overpayment with your employer directly.
Oct 14, 2018
3 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 3:30 pm
That's weird. How much did your employer overpaid you? What happened to that money?

It would have been much easier if you didn't declare the money since it is not on the ROE, and sort out the overpayment with your employer directly.
The overpayment was $160 and has since been clawed back from my employer. I fixed this mistake with Service Canada and my report should now match my ROE but this resulted in my claim being recalculated. I don't know if this is what caused my payment amounts to result in $0?
Dec 13, 2014
20 posts
4 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I have a question regarding IE. worked at a company and got laid off 5 months later. Applied for EI through Service Canada. Got approved. They will pay 55% of my salary until early February.

I'm not one of those lazy types. Would rather do something productive than sit home and do nothing. But if I cannot find work, what happens after my EI benefits end? Can I apply to another program? Welfare?

Also, do provinces also have a IE program that I can apply to? I live in Quebec.

I'm new to all of this, so I would appreciate if someone knowledge can explain everything properly.
Jun 29, 2006
75 posts
4 upvotes
1. I have severance pay until the first week of November and I am still waiting on my ROE. However, I had planned to be out of Toronto for a week to visit family in Manitoba before I was let go. How do I report it in my biweekly report?

2. I am leaning more towards going back to school to build a better skill foundation. Is it only part time time studies that will allow me to remain on EI? I've been reading up on Skills Boost and that seems to be aimed towards full time studies.
Mar 4, 2018
60 posts
10 upvotes
Tretinoin wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 2:29 pm
I'm not one of those lazy types. Would rather do something productive than sit home and do nothing. But if I cannot find work, what happens after my EI benefits end? Can I apply to another program? Welfare?
Yup.
Tretinoin wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 2:29 pm
Also, do provinces also have a IE program that I can apply to? I live in Quebec.
Nope.
:)
Mar 4, 2018
60 posts
10 upvotes
virgostar wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:31 pm
1. I have severance pay until the first week of November and I am still waiting on my ROE. However, I had planned to be out of Toronto for a week to visit family in Manitoba before I was let go. How do I report it in my biweekly report?
Report that you were not available for x amount of days. Don't count Saturday or Sunday.
In the end it wont make a difference because you're not paid from EI while your severance is ongoing anyway.
virgostar wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 8:31 pm
2. I am leaning more towards going back to school to build a better skill foundation. Is it only part time time studies that will allow me to remain on EI? I've been reading up on Skills Boost and that seems to be aimed towards full time studies.
If will depend if you are still seeking and available for full time employment, while in school. There are some other minor factors too.
Full time is fine if you qualify as a long-tenured worker. That info is also on the skills boost page.
Oct 15, 2018
3 posts
Help, I think I just caused my EI to be discontinued.. so here is the situation, I filed for EI for the first time ever after I was laid off from one job, Got it. Have gotten 1 payment so far. Yesterday I was called about a job. I was told in the conversation that the job was only for a few weeks as it's "project determined". Now, being that I am on EI, and it very clearly states that I must accept employment offers or be disqualified, I said okay. So Now I got the contract today and the job says its Permanent Full Time, even though in the discussion it was temporary full time but i know the job is only going to be for a few weeks but everything I have read so far states that by accepting permanent full time work I am then finished with EI.

So now I am panicking because if I only work for a few weeks I won't have enough hours to re apply for EI but I certainly cannot say no to a job because that will disqualify me with penalties and fines. What do I do? I have spent all evening going through this and trying to find answers but every thing I've read (Including almost this entire thread). I mean when this job ends in a few weeks will EI take into consideration that while yes it is a permanent full time job, it only lasted a few weeks and yes I knew that it was only going to last a few weeks?

If it was temporary full time than that has been gone over, I just fill out my earnings and go on about my additional job search for more permanent work and don't get EI for the weeks I work, but with it being "Permanent full time" on the offer will EI reinstate my current claim when the work ends or am I hooped because I have to accept offered work? I'm worried I am in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

clseea