• Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8404 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:12 am
If you're available and capable for full time work regardless of your medical condition, you should apply for regular benefits. You won't get denied unless the employer can prove you're dismissed due to wilful misconduct.

Other than EI, there's welfare. However, it's not my area of expertise so I can't really help you on this one. Other resource may include second career training if your'e a long tenured worker.
Welfare typically kicks in if you don't qualify for EI, but you'd need to practically liquidate your assets before you could collect it.
Sep 23, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
HAMILTON
I am getting my regular EI and I still have another 4 months for which I can claim EI if I remain unemployed, can anyone advice if I decide to move to another province for better job opportunities how will it affect my EI claim, has anyone done it before, do they recalculate the number of months depending on the unemployment rate in the other province?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
thomas111 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 8:48 pm
I am getting my regular EI and I still have another 4 months for which I can claim EI if I remain unemployed, can anyone advice if I decide to move to another province for better job opportunities how will it affect my EI claim, has anyone done it before, do they recalculate the number of months depending on the unemployment rate in the other province?
No, your claim won't be recalculated. You can easily change to a different address. However, you will likely be deemed unavailable for the time you're packing or relocating. If you simply take a flight over the weekend, then your claim won't be affected.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Apr 19, 2007
321 posts
1 upvote
Markham
Another question. I went to a service canada location and they said something about "If you haven't worked for 7 days". I still have the job. But I havent worked for almost a week now. They are saying i wont have hours till next week. Am i eligible for EI?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
Jman85 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:04 pm
Another question. I went to a service canada location and they said something about "If you haven't worked for 7 days". I still have the job. But I havent worked for almost a week now. They are saying i wont have hours till next week. Am i eligible for EI?
You can apply for regular benefits if you have no work no pay for 7 consecutive days.
Oct 3, 2012
4 posts
CALGARY
I have a quick question, I donated a liver for my father 6 months ago. The transplant did not work and my father is still quite ill. I am caretaking for him out of my home city. I am on Medical EI for another 2 weeks. My medical ei is running out and my employer is currently posted an add for my position to find a replacement. They granted me a leave of absence of 1 year to recover without guaranteeing my my old job back but giving me a job within the organization. I am hoping to transfer my medical EI to regular EI. I would go on Compassionate care but my sister has used that for until the end of October. With all of my expenses I really could use some form of Income.

On my ROE, my employer put in box 16 Z on the form. I am not worried about getting a doctor's note saying I have recovered but I am however worried that I will lose this EI benefit if I answer their questionnaire wrongly any advice?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8404 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
aemann wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:27 am
I have a quick question, I donated a liver for my father 6 months ago. The transplant did not work and my father is still quite ill. I am caretaking for him out of my home city. I am on Medical EI for another 2 weeks. My medical ei is running out and my employer is currently posted an add for my position to find a replacement. They granted me a leave of absence of 1 year to recover without guaranteeing my my old job back but giving me a job within the organization. I am hoping to transfer my medical EI to regular EI. I would go on Compassionate care but my sister has used that for until the end of October. With all of my expenses I really could use some form of Income.

On my ROE, my employer put in box 16 Z on the form. I am not worried about getting a doctor's note saying I have recovered but I am however worried that I will lose this EI benefit if I answer their questionnaire wrongly any advice?
It must have been amended at some point so you could collect sick benefits. Z is for compassionate care, so you wouldn't have been able to get more than 6 weeks of benefits if it stayed as Z. If for whatever reason it hasn't been changed, it should be changed to D for sick. If you're able to go back to work now (or in the future) but don't have a job to go back to, you shouldn't have an issue converting your claim to regular benefits, especially if your doctor provides documentation saying you're recovered (and you meet the hours requirement yadda yadda)
Apr 19, 2007
321 posts
1 upvote
Markham
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 10:21 pm
You can apply for regular benefits if you have no work no pay for 7 consecutive days.
What are regular benefits? I can't seem to find it on the service Canada site.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
Jman85 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:28 am
What are regular benefits? I can't seem to find it on the service Canada site.
For layoff/shortage of work, you're applying for regular benefits. There are others such as maternity, partental, sickness and compassion. Regular is by far the modt common one.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi, I have a question. Is the extended benefits for long tenured employees still available? I am currently on salary continuance that will end next year. At that time I will get an ROE and be able to apply for EI for 38 months. Once that ends after another 30 months I will be able to start collecting my work pension. I will be looking for another position but at my age I am not sure how successful I will be and to be able to extend EI for 20 weeks would be great. When I look at the section http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/ltw/index.shtml it reads to me that it was a temporary thing and no longer offered.
Sep 23, 2012
7 posts
Edmonton
rolfololf wrote:
Oct 1st, 2012 1:37 am
thanks for your reply. it's not so much that it's difficult to apply for 5 jobs in a week, it's more that it's difficult for me to find 5 jobs per week that i can reasonably apply for. i guess what i am really asking is: if i can prove (which i definitely can) that i am looking for work, are they going to cut me off because i can't give them five examples per week. i actually have a couple of leads that i am chasing as hard as i can right now, but sometimes companies take a long time to develop positions and i can't call the same people five times a week. i've been working on depth instead of breadth. i hope that this is going to be good enough but i am just really nervous. if five a week is really what is required, i will gladly do it from this point forward but i can't go back in time.
Thanks rolfololf for bringing this up. I am nervous about this too. My field is the same, there is no way I can apply for 5 jobs in a week reasonably, it is closer to 5 jobs in a month. Maybe a little more than that but the applications take a long time to prepare and develop and the interviews are scheduled far in advance - I just got one for an application I sent out in July (which was before I went on EI actually).

I will do my best to increase the number but it is hard without totally changing fields.
Sep 23, 2012
7 posts
Edmonton
thomas111 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2012 10:51 pm
Hi lguser44 - They have requested information on all job search efforts since I started receiving EI in the following format

Date of Contact:
Type of Work Sought:
Employer Name, Address, Telephone Number & Email:
Job Search Efforts/Method of Contact:
Results:
Thanks so much thomas111, this is really helpful!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
mslolo wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 3:38 pm
Hi, I have a question. Is the extended benefits for long tenured employees still available? I am currently on salary continuance that will end next year. At that time I will get an ROE and be able to apply for EI for 38 months. Once that ends after another 30 months I will be able to start collecting my work pension. I will be looking for another position but at my age I am not sure how successful I will be and to be able to extend EI for 20 weeks would be great. When I look at the section http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/ltw/index.shtml it reads to me that it was a temporary thing and no longer offered.
I *think* the extension for long tenured workers have expired. However, you should contact Service Canada to confirm.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3564 posts
226 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 8:48 pm
I *think* the extension for long tenured workers have expired. However, you should contact Service Canada to confirm.
definatly expired, think prob like 2 years ago.