Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 11:57 pm
Dec 3, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Hello! For those who are residing in B.C/Vancouver , i just want understand better about switching over my benefits. I originally applied for Maternity benefit ever since i got laid off at work last November 6th. Then I was told it'll be too early for maternity benefit application since im due for March. They advised me to apply for Regular ei first then switch it over to maternity. I am now eligible for only 18 weeks of regular benefit .Im just wondering if my 18 weeks of regular benefit entitlement has something to do with my pregnancy?like, will they somehow automatically switch me over to maternity benefit/parental once I give birth?

Please enlighten me if i mistakenly understand the claim information. If anyone has experience the same, kindly share them too

by the way, Iam receiving claim since December 12 for regular Ei as of right now.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
Eranry01 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 12:38 am
Hello! For those who are residing in B.C/Vancouver , i just want understand better about switching over my benefits. I originally applied for Maternity benefit ever since i got laid off at work last November 6th. Then I was told it'll be too early for maternity benefit application since im due for March. They advised me to apply for Regular ei first then switch it over to maternity. I am now eligible for only 18 weeks of regular benefit .Im just wondering if my 18 weeks of regular benefit entitlement has something to do with my pregnancy?like, will they somehow automatically switch me over to maternity benefit/parental once I give birth?

Please enlighten me if i mistakenly understand the claim information. If anyone has experience the same, kindly share them too

by the way, Iam receiving claim since December 12 for regular Ei as of right now.
Yes you would go on regular until you have the baby.

Because you’re combining regular and ‘special’ benefits (maternity/parental) you can only collect 50 weeks maximum in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2531 posts
1852 upvotes
Can you receive EI while receiving a pension? Went on retirement nearly two years ago and started pension. Working now and will be laid off at the end of March and will have enough hours to qualify for EI. Have never drawn EI. Will my pension be considered income even though I earned the employment hours after I started receiving my pension?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8669 posts
1527 upvotes
Edmonton
skeet50 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 3:51 pm
Can you receive EI while receiving a pension? Went on retirement nearly two years ago and started pension. Working now and will be laid off at the end of March and will have enough hours to qualify for EI. Have never drawn EI. Will my pension be considered income even though I earned the employment hours after I started receiving my pension?
Yes you can collect both.
No in your case the pension shouldn't affect your claim. It should be considered a requalified claim since you worked enough hours after the pension started.
Nov 16, 2018
5 posts
Hello friends.

I have accumulated over 1000 hours, however I did quit a job that I had for years to pursue a new job. After a few weeks at the new job My child had a medical emergency and is in critical condition for a prolonged period of time. The new job was gracious to allow me leave and will submit an ROE indicating critical care leave. Do you think I will qualify for benefits still?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
Saruman85 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 5:41 pm
Hello friends.

I have accumulated over 1000 hours, however I did quit a job that I had for years to pursue a new job. After a few weeks at the new job My child had a medical emergency and is in critical condition for a prolonged period of time. The new job was gracious to allow me leave and will submit an ROE indicating critical care leave. Do you think I will qualify for benefits still?

Thanks
Yes you will be fine.
Jan 1, 2019
3 posts
My son lost his job with a pizza place after 6 years, as the owners retired and shut it down without much notice. My son promptly filed for E I, and started a claim. Less than one month into the claim, he received a letter stating he would have to attend a mandatory info session in a city 40 mins. away. My son does not drive, nor is there public transit to there, so he called and told them this, and the lady said she would take his name off current list, and send him another date that he would have to attend. My son agreed to find a ride and so awaited this. Less than three weeks later he received a disentitlement letter. Since then he has played phone tag with the department he needs to speak to, as they will not answer a call, but return calls days later. What should he do now
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
KathyT51647 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:11 am
My son lost his job with a pizza place after 6 years, as the owners retired and shut it down without much notice. My son promptly filed for E I, and started a claim. Less than one month into the claim, he received a letter stating he would have to attend a mandatory info session in a city 40 mins. away. My son does not drive, nor is there public transit to there, so he called and told them this, and the lady said she would take his name off current list, and send him another date that he would have to attend. My son agreed to find a ride and so awaited this. Less than three weeks later he received a disentitlement letter. Since then he has played phone tag with the department he needs to speak to, as they will not answer a call, but return calls days later. What should he do now
Keep trying to reach them or answer the phone when they call.
Dec 21, 2011
96 posts
SURREY
I have a bit of complex issue... (I think).

Essentially, I was let go from a job during the probationary period at the end of November. I started the claim for the EI (regular benefits) which is still UNDER REVIEW as of January 3, 2019.

My question is, can I change this to sickness benefits? I have some health issues and would like to take this opportunity to get well before looking for employment again.

I can definitely get a doctors note. What should it say? What can I do? Do I have to start a new claim? What about the existing one?

Thanks
Sep 11, 2011
320 posts
118 upvotes
PrimePlaya wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:19 am
I have a bit of complex issue... (I think).

Essentially, I was let go from a job during the probationary period at the end of November. I started the claim for the EI (regular benefits) which is still UNDER REVIEW as of January 3, 2019.

My question is, can I change this to sickness benefits? I have some health issues and would like to take this opportunity to get well before looking for employment again.

I can definitely get a doctors note. What should it say? What can I do? Do I have to start a new claim? What about the existing one?

Thanks
No, you don't need to start a new claim. Call the hotline a convert your claim to sickness benefits and have the dr fill out this medical form then hand it in at your local Service Canada office.
https://catalogue.servicecanada.gc.ca/a ... s/original
Jan 2, 2019
1 posts
Heres my question:

So I have been dropped down to part time. (2 days a week) I have no claims open with EI, but they will be helping pay my wages, will this take away from my EI when I try to open an actual claim?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8669 posts
1527 upvotes
Edmonton
User076929 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:47 pm
Heres my question:

So I have been dropped down to part time. (2 days a week) I have no claims open with EI, but they will be helping pay my wages, will this take away from my EI when I try to open an actual claim?
Who's helping pay your wages.... is it a worksharing agreement through EI?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)