Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 6:23 pm
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Question guys i was on sickness EI in March until it ran out , i changed it to regular EI because the place i worked was only giving me a few hours a week , so i opened another claim for sickness but only have a total of 444 hours , but i know you need 600 hours for sickeness benefits , ? but i was working but also on regular EI would that make a difference , or im i out of lucky .. i also have a medical certificate to prove i have a medical issue .. stressed out , it says its under review since december 12th .. was talking to the canada office today and she said it needs to be 600 hours .. but i look online and it can be less ? ..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 1:58 pm
Question guys i was on sickness EI in March until it ran out , i changed it to regular EI because the place i worked was only giving me a few hours a week , so i opened another claim for sickness but only have a total of 444 hours , but i know you need 600 hours for sickeness benefits , ? but i was working but also on regular EI would that make a difference , or im i out of lucky .. i also have a medical certificate to prove i have a medical issue .. stressed out , it says its under review since december 12th .. was talking to the canada office today and she said it needs to be 600 hours .. but i look online and it can be less ? ..
Confusing..... So you can work but your employer doesn't have the hours so you're now trying to collect sick benefits?
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
I forgot to include a payment from my employer. It’s not income based on salary or hours but a bonus. This was from a few weeks ago. How do I report that now? I can’t enter hours like I do when I report my part time income. It’s just a random dollar amount. Will I be penalized for not reporting it sooner? I honestly just forgot about it when I started reporting my income.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
Elonwy137 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:27 pm
I forgot to include a payment from my employer. It’s not income based on salary or hours but a bonus. This was from a few weeks ago. How do I report that now? I can’t enter hours like I do when I report my part time income. It’s just a random dollar amount. Will I be penalized for not reporting it sooner? I honestly just forgot about it when I started reporting my income.
Call in. You won't be penalized but it may be allocated against your claim and count as earnings.
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
NO i got ill again while i was working but i was on regular benefits before i got sick again , i have a medical condition confirmed by my doctor stating i cant work anywhere ..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:39 am
NO i got ill again while i was working but i was on regular benefits before i got sick again , i have a medical condition confirmed by my doctor stating i cant work anywhere ..
You were working but collecting regular benefits? So you established a claim for sick benefits initially, then they ran out completely (all 15 weeks)? Then you converted your claim to regular benefits? Then you started working? Then you got sick again?

Need the full story in a way that makes some sense

Also, what region are you in?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1838 posts
626 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 2:31 am
You were working but collecting regular benefits? So you established a claim for sick benefits initially, then they ran out completely (all 15 weeks)? Then you converted your claim to regular benefits? Then you started working? Then you got sick again?

Yes the situation is pretty confusing. Although if he genuinely is looking for sick benefits and does not have 600 hours he would be out of luck anyways.
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
clseea wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 2:31 am

Yes thats correct , they told me to switch to regular because i wasnt getting enough hours , then got sick again during that time period .. .. i live in Nova Scotia ..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 10:59 pm
Yes thats correct , they told me to switch to regular because i wasnt getting enough hours , then got sick again during that time period .. .. i live in Nova Scotia ..

That seems even more confusing
If you used up your sick on your current claim you won't establish a new claim with under 600 hours
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Thats what i was asking , i used my sick claim back in july and was back to work in july and accumulated 450 hours . and i was told it could be under 600 in certain circumstances sorry for the confusion .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 11:37 pm
Thats what i was asking , i used my sick claim back in july and was back to work in july and accumulated 450 hours . and i was told it could be under 600 in certain circumstances sorry for the confusion .
If you're on a regular claim with under 600 hours you can convert to sick on that claim. You're not going to establish a new claim.
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Thats what i dont understand , they said they couldnt when i was talking to the local office which i was confused because all they have to do is convert it .. they told me to establish a new claim .. even tho i had less than 600 hours .. i know the area i live in the EI rate is high 14% not sure if that makes a difference in getting approved ..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8377 posts
1424 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 12:02 am
Thats what i dont understand , they said they couldnt when i was talking to the local office which i was confused because all they have to do is convert it .. they told me to establish a new claim .. even tho i had less than 600 hours .. i know the area i live in the EI rate is high 14% not sure if that makes a difference in getting approved ..
Apply and have at er then
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
I did back in December 12th , still awaiting approval .. not sure why such a long time to get a approved or not ..
Aug 21, 2018
104 posts
15 upvotes
As I started a full time job, this was for 2 days within the most recent 2 week period. As I make an annual salary, I had to estimate my earnings for the 2 days by dividing the yearly salary by 52 (weeks), then by 5 (5 days in a week) and then multiple by 2 (for 2 days in the week).

When I entered this amount in, it now states the following:

"Provide the 10 digit phone number with area code of each employer for whom you worked during the period of this report."

Are they going to call my current employer to verify this information? If yes, what question(s) are they going to ask?

Or are they just going to keep this phone # on file?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)