• Jan 13th, 2019 10:44 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8367 posts
1421 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:38 pm
I got declined on my sickness benefits , i guess you did need 600 hours to qualify even tho my area the EI rate is 13% think 466 hours would be enough , o well .. no point in appealing it .
You need 600 hours to establish a new sick claim..........
Dec 17, 2018
5 posts
Can an employer decide to change the reason for an employee leaving after EI has been paid? I was first put on sickness benefits and was expected to return to my job. During my sick leave my employer eliminated my position and the day I was to return to work I instead received a notice that there was no position and no available hours at the office for me (even though I have more seniority than every other employee)

I am filing a human rights complaint that I was discriminated against due to my illness however my former boss has threatened that if I follow through she will change my reason for leaving from “shortage of work” to terminated and that I will have to pay back all of my EI.

Also I recieved a lump sum that was partially a severance package and partially a bonus earned well before I left the job. The bonus should have been paid months prior. Do I have to claim the bonus as income on my EI even though it was earned previously and it should have been paid before I even went on sick leave?
Mar 4, 2018
68 posts
11 upvotes
Elonwy137 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:13 pm
Can an employer decide to change the reason for an employee leaving after EI has been paid? I was first put on sickness benefits and was expected to return to my job. During my sick leave my employer eliminated my position and the day I was to return to work I instead received a notice that there was no position and no available hours at the office for me (even though I have more seniority than every other employee)

I am filing a human rights complaint that I was discriminated against due to my illness however my former boss has threatened that if I follow through she will change my reason for leaving from “shortage of work” to terminated and that I will have to pay back all of my EI.
Document everything for your human rights complaint because so much of this is raising a lot of red flags. If the employer changes the reason for separation, it wont necessarily mean that it is accepted by the EI commission. They will investigate why it was changed. If you notice it is changed to dismissal, call them up right away and tell them you disagree with the ROE and give them all those details. No, you wont have to pay the EI back if your employer is doing this just to spite you.
After EI investigates it, if they find out you did nothing wrong to warrant being fired, then you can switch to regular benefits.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4990 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:38 pm
I got declined on my sickness benefits , i guess you did need 600 hours to qualify even tho my area the EI rate is 13% think 466 hours would be enough , o well .. no point in appealing it .
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ility.html
-you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period.
Plan: Public Mobile - $48/month Unlimited NA Talk/Global Text/8GB
Dec 17, 2018
5 posts
cat7kk2 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:36 pm
Document everything for your human rights complaint because so much of this is raising a lot of red flags. If the employer changes the reason for separation, it wont necessarily mean that it is accepted by the EI commission. They will investigate why it was changed. If you notice it is changed to dismissal, call them up right away and tell them you disagree with the ROE and give them all those details. No, you wont have to pay the EI back if your employer is doing this just to spite you.
After EI investigates it, if they find out you did nothing wrong to warrant being fired, then you can switch to regular benefits.
Thank you. I have been keeping track of everything. Do you know the answer to my question about the bonus? If it was earned before I was put off work but paid months later do I have to claim it as income?
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Yes but underneath it says 420 in the area of 13% EI rate ? or is that just for regular EI > ?
Jan 12, 2019
1 posts
I am working in health care setting where there is some serious outbreak and I am pregnant my 3rd trimister. I don't want to work because its risky for me and baby I can get infected and all. Can I apply for EI or is there any other regular benefits I can apply for if I decide not to go. And is it possible that my employer will/can fire me for not coming to work???
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8367 posts
1421 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:05 am
Yes but underneath it says 420 in the area of 13% EI rate ? or is that just for regular EI > ?
That chart applies to regular benefits.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1837 posts
623 upvotes
Mistie2019 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:36 am
I am working in health care setting where there is some serious outbreak and I am pregnant my 3rd trimister. I don't want to work because its risky for me and baby I can get infected and all. Can I apply for EI or is there any other regular benefits I can apply for if I decide not to go. And is it possible that my employer will/can fire me for not coming to work???
You can go on sick benefits for up to 15 weeks prior to your maternity/parental leave if you need to do so.