• Oct 18th, 2019 11:17 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:38 pm
I got declined on my sickness benefits , i guess you did need 600 hours to qualify even tho my area the EI rate is 13% think 466 hours would be enough , o well .. no point in appealing it .
You need 600 hours to establish a new sick claim..........
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
Can an employer decide to change the reason for an employee leaving after EI has been paid? I was first put on sickness benefits and was expected to return to my job. During my sick leave my employer eliminated my position and the day I was to return to work I instead received a notice that there was no position and no available hours at the office for me (even though I have more seniority than every other employee)

I am filing a human rights complaint that I was discriminated against due to my illness however my former boss has threatened that if I follow through she will change my reason for leaving from “shortage of work” to terminated and that I will have to pay back all of my EI.

Also I recieved a lump sum that was partially a severance package and partially a bonus earned well before I left the job. The bonus should have been paid months prior. Do I have to claim the bonus as income on my EI even though it was earned previously and it should have been paid before I even went on sick leave?
Mar 4, 2018
91 posts
16 upvotes
Elonwy137 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:13 pm
Can an employer decide to change the reason for an employee leaving after EI has been paid? I was first put on sickness benefits and was expected to return to my job. During my sick leave my employer eliminated my position and the day I was to return to work I instead received a notice that there was no position and no available hours at the office for me (even though I have more seniority than every other employee)

I am filing a human rights complaint that I was discriminated against due to my illness however my former boss has threatened that if I follow through she will change my reason for leaving from “shortage of work” to terminated and that I will have to pay back all of my EI.
Document everything for your human rights complaint because so much of this is raising a lot of red flags. If the employer changes the reason for separation, it wont necessarily mean that it is accepted by the EI commission. They will investigate why it was changed. If you notice it is changed to dismissal, call them up right away and tell them you disagree with the ROE and give them all those details. No, you wont have to pay the EI back if your employer is doing this just to spite you.
After EI investigates it, if they find out you did nothing wrong to warrant being fired, then you can switch to regular benefits.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5020 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:38 pm
I got declined on my sickness benefits , i guess you did need 600 hours to qualify even tho my area the EI rate is 13% think 466 hours would be enough , o well .. no point in appealing it .
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ility.html
-you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period.
Plan: Public Mobile - $46/month Unlimited NA Talk/Global Text/8.5GB
Dec 17, 2018
6 posts
cat7kk2 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:36 pm
Document everything for your human rights complaint because so much of this is raising a lot of red flags. If the employer changes the reason for separation, it wont necessarily mean that it is accepted by the EI commission. They will investigate why it was changed. If you notice it is changed to dismissal, call them up right away and tell them you disagree with the ROE and give them all those details. No, you wont have to pay the EI back if your employer is doing this just to spite you.
After EI investigates it, if they find out you did nothing wrong to warrant being fired, then you can switch to regular benefits.
Thank you. I have been keeping track of everything. Do you know the answer to my question about the bonus? If it was earned before I was put off work but paid months later do I have to claim it as income?
Aug 24, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
Yes but underneath it says 420 in the area of 13% EI rate ? or is that just for regular EI > ?
Jan 12, 2019
1 posts
I am working in health care setting where there is some serious outbreak and I am pregnant my 3rd trimister. I don't want to work because its risky for me and baby I can get infected and all. Can I apply for EI or is there any other regular benefits I can apply for if I decide not to go. And is it possible that my employer will/can fire me for not coming to work???
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
shaneomac1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:05 am
Yes but underneath it says 420 in the area of 13% EI rate ? or is that just for regular EI > ?
That chart applies to regular benefits.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1183 upvotes
Mistie2019 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:36 am
I am working in health care setting where there is some serious outbreak and I am pregnant my 3rd trimister. I don't want to work because its risky for me and baby I can get infected and all. Can I apply for EI or is there any other regular benefits I can apply for if I decide not to go. And is it possible that my employer will/can fire me for not coming to work???
You can go on sick benefits for up to 15 weeks prior to your maternity/parental leave if you need to do so.
Jul 2, 2018
8 posts
Hey guys, I've posted on here before. You've been really helpful before.

I'm a part time teacher, so work only about 1000 hours per year, as there's a month off during Christmas and 3 months off during the summer.

If I made a claim at the beginning of the Summer, was it possible to make another one for the Christmas break, if I didn't have my required 600-700 hours between June and Dec? I assumed no, so I didnt apply. The website also said I'd only be eligible if I had my 600-700 hours within the last 52 weeks or since the start of my last claim, whichever was shorter.

I've since heard from another school that I should be able to go on EI whenever I'm not working, which means Christmas break, Spring break, and the Summer, just as long as I have enough hours for the previous year (and of course be searching for a job during the off periods).

So which is the case?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
masu485 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:31 pm
Hey guys, I've posted on here before. You've been really helpful before.

I'm a part time teacher, so work only about 1000 hours per year, as there's a month off during Christmas and 3 months off during the summer.

If I made a claim at the beginning of the Summer, was it possible to make another one for the Christmas break, if I didn't have my required 600-700 hours between June and Dec? I assumed no, so I didnt apply. The website also said I'd only be eligible if I had my 600-700 hours within the last 52 weeks or since the start of my last claim, whichever was shorter.

I've since heard from another school that I should be able to go on EI whenever I'm not working, which means Christmas break, Spring break, and the Summer, just as long as I have enough hours for the previous year (and of course be searching for a job during the off periods).

So which is the case?
If you open a claim in the summer, you will serve one week waiting period, collect EI, suspend the claim when you return to work in September, re-apply & reactivate your claim for the Christmas break. You will get EI during Christmas as well as spring break.

Your claim is good for 52 weeks. You should have applied in the past as you were missing out EI payments.
Jul 2, 2018
8 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 4:47 pm
If you open a claim in the summer, you will serve one week waiting period, collect EI, suspend the claim when you return to work in September, re-apply & reactivate your claim for the Christmas break. You will get EI during Christmas as well as spring break.

Your claim is good for 52 weeks. You should have applied in the past as you were missing out EI payments.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there a limit as to how long I can go on it? I spoke with a rep during September and they said I was able to stay on EI while I was working part time and collect less. This all expired around October.

I'm wondering if that was a trick just to get me to use up all my weeks early and get paid less? I never deactivated my claim, it just says it's ended when I log in now.
Jan 20, 2017
225 posts
35 upvotes
How do I get EI from these rascals?
I worked for over 20 years. got laid off and applied for EI in early Dec. Everything is in order. But my case keeps getting "expedited" and then nothing happens, Every time I call I am told that it has been expedited and I will see a status change in 5 days. It has been 6 weeks already and I am beginning to run out of money to pay the bills,
So much for paying for this BS insurance for 20 years, non stop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
jaguaar wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 8:01 am
How do I get EI from these rascals?
I worked for over 20 years. got laid off and applied for EI in early Dec. Everything is in order. But my case keeps getting "expedited" and then nothing happens, Every time I call I am told that it has been expedited and I will see a status change in 5 days. It has been 6 weeks already and I am beginning to run out of money to pay the bills,
So much for paying for this BS insurance for 20 years, non stop.
Obviously everything isn't in order, otherwise it would have been automatically approved.

Are all ROEs on file? What errors are on your application? Etc etc

Go speak to your MP at this point.
Jan 20, 2017
225 posts
35 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:33 am
Obviously everything isn't in order, otherwise it would have been automatically approved.

Are all ROEs on file? What errors are on your application? Etc etc

Go speak to your MP at this point.
clseea - Thanks for replying. The RoE is in place for a year actually. Some moron posted a note in my file that it is missing. Called and had the rep note in the file that it is available and not missing. 2 weeks later - same story. Again called and was told it was "expedited"
The next blind agent again put in same note - RoE missing.
Called and had the rep post in size 20 fonts that it was NOT missing. Again got it expedited.
Nothing happened.
Called again ...."we see every thing is in order and will get it expedited within 5 days"
5 days have gone by. Called again, ""we see every thing is in order and will get it expedited within 5 days"
I wish the bloody MP had to call me 5 times when govt needed the EI from my paychecks for 20 years