• Nov 13th, 2019 7:43 pm
Nov 28, 2013
89 posts
90 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:23 pm
They have 28 days from when your application was received
EI determines just cause, not you
I'm aware of what EI considers just cause. I left my job within the grounds EI has set out for "just cause" and understand they will need to investigate to substantiate it.
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions I never asked.
Jan 28, 2019
14 posts
I applied for EI Sickness benefits on Jan 11 after I quit my job due the work environment causing clinical depression and anxiety. I went to my doctor the day after and got a medical certificate signed saying "patient to sick to continue working at previous job, had to quit". It hasn't been 28 days yet but last time i spoke to them they said they needed to review it, because I quit my job a day before getting the certficate filled out by my doctor. Why does this matter? I spoke with my doctor previous to getting it signed and he suggested I quit. he said he would support my claim.

Is EI going to deny me sickness benfits? I am a complete wreck as I have no income and only quit because i was too mentally sick to continue working.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
LiftedMind wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:41 pm
I'm aware of what EI considers just cause. I left my job within the grounds EI has set out for "just cause" and understand they will need to investigate to substantiate it.
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions I never asked.
A thousand apologies. I wasn't aware you were so well versed in EI policies, especially after asking a question that is so easily found online.

I'll make sure I provide less information next time, I don't want to run into a scenario where I'm providing information in a forum.... meant for sharing information.... Where other people might search for the same information... That would be bad.

Again, I apologize for providing more information than you required... Especially since you are very aware of it apparently...???
Last edited by clseea on Feb 1st, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
ssmithgander636389445374175903 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 1:43 pm
I applied for EI Sickness benefits on Jan 11 after I quit my job due the work environment causing clinical depression and anxiety. I went to my doctor the day after and got a medical certificate signed saying "patient to sick to continue working at previous job, had to quit". It hasn't been 28 days yet but last time i spoke to them they said they needed to review it, because I quit my job a day before getting the certficate filled out by my doctor. Why does this matter? I spoke with my doctor previous to getting it signed and he suggested I quit. he said he would support my claim.

Is EI going to deny me sickness benfits? I am a complete wreck as I have no income and only quit because i was too mentally sick to continue working.
If you exhausted reasonable alternatives to quitting prior to doing so then your doctors note should be sufficient support to show just cause. If you outright quit without exhausting reasonable alternatives then you may be denied.
Jan 28, 2019
14 posts
I worked at a car dealership and my income was 100% commission based. In my state of mind I could no longer create any income for myself and there were no reasonable alternatives. just being there made me condition so much worse. There was no option for a leave of absense or anything. to make matters worse my employer was a complete egomaniac and was rude and condescending to m e all the time. How are they going to verify if I took reasonable alternatives?? If they contact him i doubt he will help my case at all.

I dont understand what else i could have done.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
Feb 1st, 2019 2:23 pm
I worked at a car dealership and my income was 100% commission based. In my state of mind I could no longer create any income for myself and there were no reasonable alternatives. just being there made me condition so much worse. There was no option for a leave of absense or anything. to make matters worse my employer was a complete egomaniac and was rude and condescending to m e all the time. How are they going to verify if I took reasonable alternatives?? If they contact him i doubt he will help my case at all.

I dont understand what else i could have done.
It depends what exact reason you're saying caused you to quit. See here for more.

Reasonable Alternatives
Nov 28, 2013
89 posts
90 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 2:07 pm
A thousand apologies. I wasn't aware you were so well versed in EI policies, especially after asking a question that is so easily found online.

I'll make sure I provide less information next time, I don't want to run into a scenario where I'm providing information in a forum.... meant for sharing information.... Where other people might search for the same information... That would be bad.

Again, I apologize for providing more information than you required... Especially since you are very aware of it apparently...???
If the information is so readily available online, and as you mention you're trying to help, wouldn't it be easier to just post the link instead of being rude and condescending?
I've exhausted google searches seeking the information pertaining to my original questions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
LiftedMind wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 2:44 pm
If the information is so readily available online, and as you mention you're trying to help, wouldn't it be easier to just post the link instead of being rude and condescending?
I've exhausted google searches seeking the information pertaining to my original questions.
Your question has been answered.
Here are some helpful links for future inquiries

Service Canada Offices

OCS

Contact Your MP

Rights and Responsibilites

After You've Applied

Google Tips

More Google Tips
Last edited by clseea on Feb 1st, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
Feb 1st, 2019 2:44 pm
its pretty simple, I QUIT because I have a medical condition which isnt allowing me to work. What else do i need??? My employer was an ******* who didnt want to help at all.
It comes down to whether or not you exhausted reasonable alternatives. If you did, shouldn't be an issue. If you didn't, flip a coin.
Jan 28, 2019
14 posts
The reasonable alternatives on the link say to speak with manager (did that), speak to union? (LOL as if this business was part of a union, it wasnt), and a leave of absense? No option for that. It was this employer that cause my illness. My doctor recommended id ont go back.

what i don't get is how are they going to confirm or deny whether i "exhausted" alternatives. The company was very small and there was no option to transfer anywhere else or to a different position. One of the main reasons I was suffering from depression was because of the owners. extremely toxic work environment. The worst part is I was the best sales rep they had until i quit, and the owner was very angry that I was quitting in the first place.

I dont like they havent given me a chance to plead my case. Everytime i call they just say I have to wait 28 days for a decision.
Aug 5, 2011
135 posts
7 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hi

My sister got recently laid off and she is confused about how EI works especially that she might be pregnant soon.
  • She got laid off on January 8 and got a severance package up to Aug 6 this year.
  • She worked 1850+ hrs within the last 52 weeks preceding her termination date.
  • For what we understand, her EI payments of 36 weeks will be pushed back to after her severance pay is done (Aug 6).
  • She already applied for regular EI (ROE will be provided later)
For her to be eligible for maternity EI, she needs 600 hours. When does the 600 hours get counted from ? From her termination date (January 8 or her maternity EI application date)?
Can she convert her regular EI application to a maternity EI without having her eligibility cancelled?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
Feb 1st, 2019 3:51 pm
The reasonable alternatives on the link say to speak with manager (did that), speak to union? (LOL as if this business was part of a union, it wasnt), and a leave of absense? No option for that. It was this employer that cause my illness. My doctor recommended id ont go back.

what i don't get is how are they going to confirm or deny whether i "exhausted" alternatives. The company was very small and there was no option to transfer anywhere else or to a different position. One of the main reasons I was suffering from depression was because of the owners. extremely toxic work environment. The worst part is I was the best sales rep they had until i quit, and the owner was very angry that I was quitting in the first place.

I dont like they havent given me a chance to plead my case. Everytime i call they just say I have to wait 28 days for a decision.
They're usually more lenient with sick benefits, especially with supporting documentation.

If you spoke to your manager and couldn't transfer to a different position, then you'll likely be ok.

They don't give you a chance to plead your case if you're calling the call centers. They don't make the decisions on complex adjudications.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
DealEcstatic wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 5:40 pm
Hi

My sister got recently laid off and she is confused about how EI works especially that she might be pregnant soon.
  • She got laid off on January 8 and got a severance package up to Aug 6 this year.
  • She worked 1850+ hrs within the last 52 weeks preceding her termination date.
  • For what we understand, her EI payments of 36 weeks will be pushed back to after her severance pay is done (Aug 6).
  • She already applied for regular EI (ROE will be provided later)
For her to be eligible for maternity EI, she needs 600 hours. When does the 600 hours get counted from ? From her termination date (January 8 or her maternity EI application date)?
Can she convert her regular EI application to a maternity EI without having her eligibility cancelled?

Thanks!
First, is she completely terminated from employment or is she on a salary continuance?
If terminated completely, the ROE should be given pretty much right away. If salary continuance, she shouldn't apply until after the continuance runs out. The ROE would be given once the continuance is done.

In either scenario, whatever hours are used to calculate the claim are applied to the entirety of her claim. With 1850 hours, she'll qualify for all benefit types.

She can convert from regular to maternity provided she's within the maternity window, keeping in mind she can only collect a combined 50 weeks of regular and whatever type of special benefits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)