• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2019 11:38 am
Aug 5, 2011
135 posts
7 upvotes
NORTH YORK
clseea wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 6:28 pm
First, is she completely terminated from employment or is she on a salary continuance?
If terminated completely, the ROE should be given pretty much right away. If salary continuance, she shouldn't apply until after the continuance runs out. The ROE would be given once the continuance is done.

In either scenario, whatever hours are used to calculate the claim are applied to the entirety of her claim. With 1850 hours, she'll qualify for all benefit types.

She can convert from regular to maternity provided she's within the maternity window, keeping in mind she can only collect a combined 50 weeks of regular and whatever type of special benefits.
Thank you for the prompt response.

She is on salary continuation until the termination package is settled. She is thinking about switching to lump sum if the employer is ok with it.
Is it better to be on Salary Continuation Period (to add to her 600 hrs) instead of a lumpsum in her case or is there a difference? It looks like she is still paying for EI during her Salary Continuation period or maybe that would be only for the notice of termination period. Does that count towards her insurable hours?

What is the maternity window? If for example, she is due in September/October, she can apply for maternity EI as from August ( when her severance ends). Otherwise, until when can she convert to Maternity EI and how long will she eligible? For example, can she be on Maternity EI in January 2020?

I also understand the 50 weeks will be reduced by the regular EI payments once she switches to Maternity EI.

Thanks
Sep 24, 2006
599 posts
61 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question I got my ROE paper format and it says last day paid Jan 28. But I didn't get paid or work that day. Last day work was Jan 20 and when I filed EI I put that.
Does it matter or should I ask for another ROE.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
anastasia1009 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 4:14 pm
Question I got my ROE paper format and it says last day paid Jan 28. But I didn't get paid or work that day. Last day work was Jan 20 and when I filed EI I put that.
Does it matter or should I ask for another ROE.
If the ROE and your statement doesn’t match it will pull your application out for review and may take longer.

If the ROE incorrect you should ask your employer to submit an amended ROE.
May 8, 2015
214 posts
123 upvotes
East York, ON
Hello everyone

Great thread and source of invaluable information!

Question, does anyone know if the person on EI reports 2-3 days of absence from Canada, and receives an abridged pay for this reporting time, will those EI payments be paid at a later time within 52 weeks if the person still files reports on his job search?
For example, if someone was given $100 less due to vacation days, will he still be paid these $100 if he does not find a job during the rest of the year?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
Leasiderin wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 2:39 pm
Hello everyone

Great thread and source of invaluable information!

Question, does anyone know if the person on EI reports 2-3 days of absence from Canada, and receives an abridged pay for this reporting time, will those EI payments be paid at a later time within 52 weeks if the person still files reports on his job search?
For example, if someone was given $100 less due to vacation days, will he still be paid these $100 if he does not find a job during the rest of the year?
No. You have whatever many weeks of entitlement you’re owed. It’s not based on total dollars. A week of entitlement counts as long as you get paid something ($1).
Nov 28, 2013
89 posts
90 upvotes
I've had my claim approved for regular benefits. I quit with just cause. It was a relatively painless experience.
Special thanks to OldMarriedGuy and b166er1337 for pointing me in the right direction.

Applied late December. Received first and only call 34 days later from an agent. I explained why I left my job and was told they would contact my employer. My claim was approved 5 days later.

Edit: tmi
Feb 8, 2019
5 posts
I applied for EI on Jan 9, but since my ROE was given to me on the last day of the month n have to mail it too, it took so long that i recieved a mail saying that a decision made on my application saying missing ROE. Will it be ok once they recieved my mailed ROE?
and also one more thing, on my ROE my employer wrote there that my last day of work was on the 30 of November and didnt include my part time with them the lonth of December. how will this affect my EI application? thank u so much
Feb 10, 2019
1 posts
Hi,
I applied for ei shortly after becoming pregnant not knowing how it would effect my maternity leave (I was fired after missing a couple of days due to morning sickness, they didn't know I was pregnant and I had been there less than a month. Just bad timing). I would qualify for maternity leave when my baby is due but I was told I have to finish my current claim first. Here's my question;

I was recently working two jobs to try and get enough hours in so that when my ei claim runs out, I'll still qualify for maternity leave. I'm now 7 months pregnant and working two jobs on my feet had physically become too much, so I quit one job. I was honest with ei about this and my situation is now "under review".
- does this mean they may terminate my current claim?
-are there penalties to me if they do? If so, what are they?
- if this claim is terminated on their end, could I then apply for a proper maternity leave in 2 months?

My situation feels so complicated and some clarity would be nice. Thank you in advance
Jan 28, 2019
14 posts
Hello all,

My claim for EI sickness has been escalated to an adjudicator for review. Its going on 35 days now I have been waiting. My last medical certificate said "patient unable to continue at previous job, had to quit". The problem is that my last employer didnt give a shit about anything, and even though I told him I was quitting to recover from depression, they still put code E on my roe that I simply quit. I called the call center and they gave me some grief about the note being after the fact (I went to the doctor for the medical cert. one day after quitting, but he had discussed with me previously that i should quit if things get at all worse which they did). So I went to my doctor today and he wrote me a more in depth note saying the following:

"Due to medical issues with clinical anxiety and depression, I discussed with patient that he should no longer continue working at *employer name* prior to him stopping work".

They haven't called me yet or asked me for additional info, but will this be sufficient for sickness benfits? on the original certificate he wrote I was incapacitated and unable to work from Jan 11 to Feb 26. I will most likely be starting a new position with a friend on March 1st. I havent paid rent for january so I really need the retro pay for this past month and a half.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
ssmithgander636389445374175903 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:36 pm
Hello all,

My claim for EI sickness has been escalated to an adjudicator for review. Its going on 35 days now I have been waiting. My last medical certificate said "patient unable to continue at previous job, had to quit". The problem is that my last employer didnt give a shit about anything, and even though I told him I was quitting to recover from depression, they still put code E on my roe that I simply quit. I called the call center and they gave me some grief about the note being after the fact (I went to the doctor for the medical cert. one day after quitting, but he had discussed with me previously that i should quit if things get at all worse which they did). So I went to my doctor today and he wrote me a more in depth note saying the following:

"Due to medical issues with clinical anxiety and depression, I discussed with patient that he should no longer continue working at *employer name* prior to him stopping work".

They haven't called me yet or asked me for additional info, but will this be sufficient for sickness benfits? on the original certificate he wrote I was incapacitated and unable to work from Jan 11 to Feb 26. I will most likely be starting a new position with a friend on March 1st. I havent paid rent for january so I really need the retro pay for this past month and a half.
You have asked this question multiple times and have received the appropriate answer.

If you want to expedite the escalation process contact your MPs office so that they will contact EI and have a decision made right away.
Jan 28, 2019
14 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 2:38 pm
You have asked this question multiple times and have received the appropriate answer.

If you want to expedite the escalation process contact your MPs office so that they will contact EI and have a decision made right away.
Ok. I didn't mean to become a bother, this process is just really frustrating, and no one at service canada is willing to help. I feel like this system is broken. It seems like its purposely meant to be a difficult and cumbersome process

I am actually family friends with my local MP so I will start there. Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
ssmithgander636389445374175903 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:03 pm
Ok. I didn't mean to become a bother, this process is just really frustrating, and no one at service canada is willing to help. I feel like this system is broken. It seems like its purposely meant to be a difficult and cumbersome process

I am actually family friends with my local MP so I will start there. Thanks
I’m not saying you’re a bother, but I believe you’re looking for an answer that you’ve already received. The decision takes time. It could be more efficient but it is not designed that way purposely. It’s due to resources.

It IS a lot better than it was when Harper decimated the program...
Last edited by OldMarriedGuy on Feb 13th, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 12, 2019
4 posts
I was dismissed from my job for yelling at an employee who was harassing me. I just lost it one day and yelled at him. I was let go without ever being talked to or being written up. This was my first ever issue working there in almost two years. I have applied for EI because I believe I was let go wrongfully. It's been 24 days since I applied and I'm still seeing IN REVIEW. I have an interview tomorrow but I want to know what is taking ei so long to make a decision? Has anyone waited this long without any further information?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2100 posts
1179 upvotes
AmandaP68236 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 5:28 pm
I was dismissed from my job for yelling at an employee who was harassing me. I just lost it one day and yelled at him. I was let go without ever being talked to or being written up. This was my first ever issue working there in almost two years. I have applied for EI because I believe I was let go wrongfully. It's been 24 days since I applied and I'm still seeing IN REVIEW. I have an interview tomorrow but I want to know what is taking ei so long to make a decision? Has anyone waited this long without any further information?
The normal processing time frame is 28 days.
Apr 8, 2017
680 posts
418 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Hey there. Question about when I should "reactivate" my claim. I was on EI for a couple months, November and December. In January I got working again with a seasonal job, ending late March. Instead of reporting that I had began a job on my next report, I put off making the report until now, which is now "late" and the website says I should reactivate my claim before I can submit a report.

My question is: Should I just not submit a report until this job ends late march (and thus I would need to get back on EI), or should I go ahead with reactivating, submitting a report, and specifying that I started a job? Then just reactivating my claim again at the end of this job? I believe my EI period ends in October.
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?