Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2019 9:26 am
Dec 3, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Hello Everyone. I am just totally confused If I should apply for Parental Benefit separately. I am currently receiving Regular benefits (Unemployment) as I was laid off from work last November. I originally applied for Maternity, however they advised me it'll be a bit early for the maternity application as I was still 5 months pregnant at that time.I was approved for 18 weeks regular benefit claim instead. Fast forward, I just gave birth last Saturday,March 9 and still receiving Regular benefits. I have already received/consumed 15 weeks of claim. Im just wondering if I should apply separately for Parental benefit since I have already given birth? If so, what will happen with my remaining 3 weeks of regular benefit claim if i submit the application? By the way, if this info helps, according to my service canada account, My end of date claim(regular benefit) is up until November 2019 even though I am only entitled for 18 weeks claim.Kindly enlighten me..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Eranry01 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 7:48 am
Hello Everyone. I am just totally confused If I should apply for Parental Benefit separately. I am currently receiving Regular benefits (Unemployment) as I was laid off from work last November. I originally applied for Maternity, however they advised me it'll be a bit early for the maternity application as I was still 5 months pregnant at that time.I was approved for 18 weeks regular benefit claim instead. Fast forward, I just gave birth last Saturday,March 9 and still receiving Regular benefits. I have already received/consumed 15 weeks of claim. Im just wondering if I should apply separately for Parental benefit since I have already given birth? If so, what will happen with my remaining 3 weeks of regular benefit claim if i submit the application? By the way, if this info helps, according to my service canada account, My end of date claim(regular benefit) is up until November 2019 even though I am only entitled for 18 weeks claim.Kindly enlighten me..
Your claim needs to be converted to maternity/parental. Call in to make sure this is happening.
Jan 30, 2016
1 posts
St. Albert, AB
Hi everybody. I went out of Canada for 2 weeks to visit a sick relative, but I didn't arrange to be contacted or I was not ready to come back within 48 hrs.
the claim has been under review for 22 calendar days.
i'm not expecting to be paid for the 2 weeks away.
is this delay normal ? they said the call centre dont have any additional information.
Nov 9, 2011
2 posts
NEWMARKET
Hi,
I'm currently on extended parental leave so 18 months and my EI should end in July. However, I called them more than a month ago and the agent told me that another agent entered the number of weeks incorrectly on my file. I was told to wait 21 business days for them to fix it and they didnt. I called in again and they said to wait 5 more business days and today being the final day. I checked on my service Canada account and it hasn't been fixed yet. How can I get it escalated if it is still not fixed? I haven't been paid since Jan. Thanks in advance for any help!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Jantao16 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 10:10 am
Hi,
I'm currently on extended parental leave so 18 months and my EI should end in July. However, I called them more than a month ago and the agent told me that another agent entered the number of weeks incorrectly on my file. I was told to wait 21 business days for them to fix it and they didnt. I called in again and they said to wait 5 more business days and today being the final day. I checked on my service Canada account and it hasn't been fixed yet. How can I get it escalated if it is still not fixed? I haven't been paid since Jan. Thanks in advance for any help!
Talk to your MP
Mar 18, 2019
10 posts
Hi I was let go yesterday after one year in job they ask me to write a resignation letter or face consiquence I refuse to write and I told them will get back to you they're saying I don't follow company procedures please let me know if I am eligible for ei thank
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
veranopeligroso wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:54 am
Hi everybody. I went out of Canada for 2 weeks to visit a sick relative, but I didn't arrange to be contacted or I was not ready to come back within 48 hrs.
the claim has been under review for 22 calendar days.
i'm not expecting to be paid for the 2 weeks away.
is this delay normal ? they said the call centre dont have any additional information.
Call in, they should be able to process it quicker. It's a simple fix
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Shan25 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:22 am
Hi I was let go yesterday after one year in job they ask me to write a resignation letter or face consiquence I refuse to write and I told them will get back to you they're saying I don't follow company procedures please let me know if I am eligible for ei thank
Insufficient information, however....
They're trying to get you to quit so they don't need to pay severance. This is constructive dismissal, which generally results in a favourable decision for the client.
Mar 12, 2019
2 posts
Thanks for the info, I learned the hard way I should have informed EI I wanted to get training before I enrolled. But I eventually spoke to a really nice lady, and after an hour she helped me enroll in Lifelong Learning, and now, about 4 weeks later, they say everything will be back to normal any minute now. However, EI will be done long before school, so I dont think I'll qualify to stay on. But I wasnt really expecting to anyway, oh well!
Thanks to all who contribute to this site. Sorry, if I'm not posting this in the right spot!
Mar 18, 2019
10 posts
This is the massage on my service Canada accout. This is an update on our progress in making a decision on your claim.

We have completed our assessment of your reason(s) for separation (dismissal), but we are still reviewing your file. We will let you know when a final decision is made.

Note: Our Service Canada Centres do not have additional information on your claim at this time. What this mean please let me know its my first time thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Shan25 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 12:55 pm
This is the massage on my service Canada accout. This is an update on our progress in making a decision on your claim.

We have completed our assessment of your reason(s) for separation (dismissal), but we are still reviewing your file. We will let you know when a final decision is made.

Note: Our Service Canada Centres do not have additional information on your claim at this time. What this mean please let me know its my first time thanks
They've adjudicated the dismissal but haven't finished your calculation. You'll need to call in for further information, there should be notes on file.
Mar 18, 2019
10 posts
Is it mean they spoke to my employer and it is clear now I was dismissed thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8725 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Shan25 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 2:34 pm
Is it mean they spoke to my employer and it is clear now I was dismissed thanks
You need to call in for more information, I can't read their minds.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2157 posts
1200 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:05 pm
You need to call in for more information, I can't read their minds.
You can’t?