• May 21st, 2019 1:26 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2023 posts
786 upvotes
Shan25 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 9:28 am
Hi just want to know if ei special agent tell you decision over the phonethanks
If it’s available and on file I don’t see why not.
Mar 18, 2019
10 posts
Just got approved for ei when should I receive first payment thanks
May 29, 2007
212 posts
4 upvotes
What happens if you accept a job offer but the role does not start immediately?
Do you lose benefits as soon as you accept or will your benefits persist until your job start date?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
Shan25 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 11:13 am
Just got approved for ei when should I receive first payment thanks
Without knowing the specifics of your claim this can't be answered. Could be a week, could be 2 weeks, could be a month, could be more or anywhere in between. Check your My Service Canada Account or call in
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
rxanderq wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2019 1:25 pm
What happens if you accept a job offer but the role does not start immediately?
Do you lose benefits as soon as you accept or will your benefits persist until your job start date?
Keep reporting like normal up until you start your new job
Dec 1, 2012
137 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Hi all, long story short, I was recently got laid off and filed for EI. I got severance which per EI was good till March 30th. The week of March 31st to Apr 6th was my waiting period.
In that time I managed to find part time work, so I work for 16hrs per week and make $42/hr. I got paid in the week of the waiting period on Apr 4th. Now per an EI rep I spoke to, the amount I got paid gets bumped to the next week as apparently they can't do anything during the waiting period.

According to the calculation (which hopefully I got correct) I'm still eligible to get a partial amount (16hrs x $42 = $672 per week out of which half goes towards benefits; my weekly benefit rate is $562, so theoretically I should be eligible to get $226 (562 - 336). What I found confusing was even though I am entitled to a gross amount of $226 per week, I'm still not eligible for any payout for the week of Apr 7 to 13th because apparently the amount I earned during the waiting period got bumped to this week.

Either I'm confused on how this works or something isn't adding up. Please help
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
mlallany wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 4:29 pm
Hi all, long story short, I was recently got laid off and filed for EI. I got severance which per EI was good till March 30th. The week of March 31st to Apr 6th was my waiting period.
In that time I managed to find part time work, so I work for 16hrs per week and make $42/hr. I got paid in the week of the waiting period on Apr 4th. Now per an EI rep I spoke to, the amount I got paid gets bumped to the next week as apparently they can't do anything during the waiting period.

According to the calculation (which hopefully I got correct) I'm still eligible to get a partial amount (16hrs x $42 = $672 per week out of which half goes towards benefits; my weekly benefit rate is $562, so theoretically I should be eligible to get $226 (562 - 336). What I found confusing was even though I am entitled to a gross amount of $226 per week, I'm still not eligible for any payout for the week of Apr 7 to 13th because apparently the amount I earned during the waiting period got bumped to this week.

Either I'm confused on how this works or something isn't adding up. Please help
Your earnings in the week of March 30 to April 6th prevented you from serving your waiting period. This bumped your waiting period to the next week. So you won't be eligible for benefits until the week of 14th. You'll only receive a portion of benefits in this week because of your waiting period earnings.

Earnings in the waiting period are deducted dollar for dollar. There's no allowable earning amount.
Dec 1, 2012
137 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 4:35 pm
Your earnings in the week of March 30 to April 6th prevented you from serving your waiting period. This bumped your waiting period to the next week. So you won't be eligible for benefits until the week of 14th. You'll only receive a portion of benefits in this week because of your waiting period earnings.

Earnings in the waiting period are deducted dollar for dollar. There's no allowable earning amount.
Thanks for your response. I did call them again as I was very confused still; the pay on Apr 4th was bumped to the next week and apparently half of my earning was also bumped to the following week. From what I've been told because there are still earning from the waiting period (from my pay on Apr 4th), I likely will not be getting paid until the week of Apr 21st. I don't know why it's calculated this way.

Just to confirm though, even though I get paid bi-weekly (and the pay period doesn't fall with the report 2 week period), I still have to indicate the hours worked and the gross amount correct?
Oct 19, 2018
15 posts
yohyohy wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2019 5:51 pm
I have a question regarding when I should do my first EI report, hoping someone can clarify. I have been on salary continuance and that ended on April 20th, so I submitted my application today and am waiting for my benefit statement with the access code. I read that as soon as I receive the access code in the mail I need to submit my first report? Is this true or am I supposed to wait for my EI application to be approved first? Thanks in advance!
Hi, can someone clarify for me please? Just want to know if I need to submit the first report as soon as I receive my access code. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
yohyohy wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 1:27 am
Hi, can someone clarify for me please? Just want to know if I need to submit the first report as soon as I receive my access code. Thanks.
Yes
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
mlallany wrote:
Apr 24th, 2019 6:08 pm
Thanks for your response. I did call them again as I was very confused still; the pay on Apr 4th was bumped to the next week and apparently half of my earning was also bumped to the following week. From what I've been told because there are still earning from the waiting period (from my pay on Apr 4th), I likely will not be getting paid until the week of Apr 21st. I don't know why it's calculated this way.

Just to confirm though, even though I get paid bi-weekly (and the pay period doesn't fall with the report 2 week period), I still have to indicate the hours worked and the gross amount correct?
You can't have earnings in your waiting period. If your earnings were over your benefit rate, you can't begin to serve your waiting period. This means your waiting period is bumped until the earnings fall below your benefit rate. In your case your waiting period has been bumped and there's a balance of earnings ($672 - $562) that are carried over to your first "payable week". This balance is deducted from your benefit rate so you only get a partial payment for your first payment.

Your waiting period is meant to be your deductible, so if your earnings are too much then it would effectively create a situation where you wouldn't have a deductible.

You report your earnings every 2 weeks, but broken down weekly within the report. You report the hours and earnings for the week you actually worked, not when the pay period occurs.
Dec 1, 2012
137 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 2:10 am
You can't have earnings in your waiting period. If your earnings were over your benefit rate, you can't begin to serve your waiting period. This means your waiting period is bumped until the earnings fall below your benefit rate. In your case your waiting period has been bumped and there's a balance of earnings ($672 - $562) that are carried over to your first "payable week". This balance is deducted from your benefit rate so you only get a partial payment for your first payment.

Your waiting period is meant to be your deductible, so if your earnings are too much then it would effectively create a situation where you wouldn't have a deductible.

You report your earnings every 2 weeks, but broken down weekly within the report. You report the hours and earnings for the week you actually worked, not when the pay period occurs.
This is what I thought but I've been told regardless. I am making the same every week, so in this case the balance of the warning was carried over but according to the rep, their calculation was sort of different and I likely can expect some partial payment on the week of Apr 21st. Either way I started a full time position this week so I'll indicate that in the report. I was hoping to get something with the earnings I received but in the back of my head I had an idea that due to the earnings I likely won't get anything from EI.
Apr 8, 2017
486 posts
303 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Hello there. I went on EI last October, then got work the beginning of January until late March. I then reactivated my claim. On checking out "my service canada," however, it doesn't look like those 3 months in 2019 were added onto the claim I started in October.

Just curious if this is normal? If so, once my payments run out, would I be able to start a new claim from those 3 months I worked in 2019?
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8516 posts
1483 upvotes
Edmonton
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 7:11 pm
Hello there. I went on EI last October, then got work the beginning of January until late March. I then reactivated my claim. On checking out "my service canada," however, it doesn't look like those 3 months in 2019 were added onto the claim I started in October.

Just curious if this is normal? If so, once my payments run out, would I be able to start a new claim from those 3 months I worked in 2019?
Those hours aren't added to your current claim, it's already established using the hours from prior to October.

If you have enough hours in those months then by all means apply. Not super likely but not impossible depending on your region and schedule.
Apr 13, 2019
7 posts
Hi, I get $457 per week. How much can I make before it totally wipes out my weekly cheque? I will earn about $800 this week. Is that enough so I get 0 but keep a week. Or will I get a tiny cheque?

Thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)