Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2020 11:13 am
Newbie
Dec 25, 2016
47 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
I just want to start off by saying a BIG thank you to everyone here that is helping others regarding their employment insurance matters. I can't tell you how valuable this and I appreciate your help.

Questions:
If the number of weeks displayed in the “Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid” and “Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement” shows 10 (started at 20), does this mean I have 10 weeks left on my claim? I would assume this to be the case however, when I do the math from the date my claim started (20 weeks of entitlement), the end date comes up with a date earlier than what 10 more weeks would be. I’m not sure what I’m missing.

Also, at the end of your claim, if you still have insurable earnings left, can your claim entitlement period be extended until this amount is exhausted?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!! Love you guys:)
Newbie
May 20, 2019
1 posts
Hi all, I have a question because I have had conflicting information.

I am employed in a private school (not a public school board) and my contract is up June 14th, as I just started in February. However, I have had an 'intent to employ' letter for August, where my actual contract will be signed.
Will I be able to claim EI? I was under the impression I could, because I'm not working under a school board (so they may turn round and not employ me come August) and I also heard teachers can claim during this time if an actual contract hasn't been signed and the other contract has ended (which it would be ended in June)

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
AdventureMe wrote: I just want to start off by saying a BIG thank you to everyone here that is helping others regarding their employment insurance matters. I can't tell you how valuable this and I appreciate your help.

Questions:
If the number of weeks displayed in the “Weeks of Regular Benefits Paid” and “Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement” shows 10 (started at 20), does this mean I have 10 weeks left on my claim? I would assume this to be the case however, when I do the math from the date my claim started (20 weeks of entitlement), the end date comes up with a date earlier than what 10 more weeks would be. I’m not sure what I’m missing.

Also, at the end of your claim, if you still have insurable earnings left, can your claim entitlement period be extended until this amount is exhausted?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!! Love you guys:)
Your claim ends when you use your entitlement or you reach the end of your benefit period, whichever occurs first. If you have 10 weeks of entitlement left but less than that in your benefit period, you lose out on the balance of entitlement.

I don't know what you mean by "insurable earnings left". Your insurable earnings are used to calculate your weekly benefit amount, they don't determine how long you receive benefits.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
diamondcanadian wrote: Hi all, I have a question because I have had conflicting information.

I am employed in a private school (not a public school board) and my contract is up June 14th, as I just started in February. However, I have had an 'intent to employ' letter for August, where my actual contract will be signed.
Will I be able to claim EI? I was under the impression I could, because I'm not working under a school board (so they may turn round and not employ me come August) and I also heard teachers can claim during this time if an actual contract hasn't been signed and the other contract has ended (which it would be ended in June)

Thanks
Unless you've signed a contract for the upcoming school year, you shouldn't have an issue (provided you have the hours required and are fulfilling your requirements to be ready, willing and able to work). An intent to employ isn't a contract, so it doesn't really mean anything.
Newbie
Nov 7, 2013
61 posts
48 upvotes
Hello;
I have a question about my wife who was laid off and then had a baby a few months later. I am wondering if there is a way to extend her benefits. We live in Ontario.

1. She was laid off at the end of June 2018 from her school board job. She got her first EI payment in mid-July after the waiting period. She would normally have went back to work as casual (not guaranteed pay because she is a supply educational assistant and just covers sick days for other workers). edit: On her ROE the expected date of recall is listed as "Unknown".

2. In mid Sept. she had a baby. Her EI converted over to maternity leave.

3. She has since converted her maternity leave to parental (we didn't share any benefits).

She is now being told that she has her 52 weeks of benefits ending at the end of June, but she has no job to return to until Sept. Does this sound right? Is there a way to extend her benefits until the end of August? It does not seem fair that she would have to go 2 months without any income because she got pregnant at the wrong time.

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
octavianredflagdeals wrote: Hello;
I have a question about my wife who was laid off and then had a baby a few months later. I am wondering if there is a way to extend her benefits. We live in Ontario.

1. She was laid off at the end of June 2018 from her school board job. She got her first EI payment in mid-July after the waiting period. She would normally have went back to work as casual (not guaranteed pay because she is a supply educational assistant and just covers sick days for other workers). edit: On her ROE the expected date of recall is listed as "Unknown".

2. In mid Sept. she had a baby. Her EI converted over to maternity leave.

3. She has since converted her maternity leave to parental (we didn't share any benefits).

She is now being told that she has her 52 weeks of benefits ending at the end of June, but she has no job to return to until Sept. Does this sound right? Is there a way to extend her benefits until the end of August? It does not seem fair that she would have to go 2 months without any income because she got pregnant at the wrong time.

Thanks!
She can only collect a combined 50 weeks of special and regular benefits. There's no extension.
Newbie
Nov 7, 2013
61 posts
48 upvotes
clseea wrote: She can only collect a combined 50 weeks of special and regular benefits. There's no extension.
I believe you are correct, but today my wife called Service Canada and was told that the "computer system was showing 15 more weeks of payments". Exact quote, and she got the name and employee number. She reminded the employee that she started collecting EI last July, and the agent responded that they could see that but she would still collect until Sept. Last time she called she was told her payments ended in late June (same thing you mentioned), and when she called last fall she was told she would collect until Sept.

Two out of three Service Canada employees told her she collects until Sept, but from what I am reading, and what you told me, I don't believe that's the case. I'm trying to convince my wife that she needs to return to work and Service Canada is not helping me out here lol.

Is this typical? What happens if:
1. her payments end in June and she has no job or income because she thought her parental leave continued until Sept? Do we have recourse because she trusted the phone employees?
2. she goes to work and/or collects EI payments but later on they correct it. She would be on the hook to repay, even if she tried to get help with it from Service Canada prior and to clarify, correct?

Thanks again for your help! I am advising her to still go and get a job, even though she wants to stay at home with the baby for two more months (we don't have childcare yet....)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
octavianredflagdeals wrote: I believe you are correct, but today my wife called Service Canada and was told that the "computer system was showing 15 more weeks of payments". Exact quote, and she got the name and employee number. She reminded the employee that she started collecting EI last July, and the agent responded that they could see that but she would still collect until Sept. Last time she called she was told her payments ended in late June (same thing you mentioned), and when she called last fall she was told she would collect until Sept.

Two out of three Service Canada employees told her she collects until Sept, but from what I am reading, and what you told me, I don't believe that's the case. I'm trying to convince my wife that she needs to return to work and Service Canada is not helping me out here lol.

Is this typical? What happens if:
1. her payments end in June and she has no job or income because she thought her parental leave continued until Sept? Do we have recourse because she trusted the phone employees?
2. she goes to work and/or collects EI payments but later on they correct it. She would be on the hook to repay, even if she tried to get help with it from Service Canada prior and to clarify, correct?

Thanks again for your help! I am advising her to still go and get a job, even though she wants to stay at home with the baby for two more months (we don't have childcare yet....)
Call in again or log into her My Service Canada Account. Benefits will stop at 50 paid weeks when regular and special are combined.

1. Recourse such as what? Legislation is legislation
2. If she receives money she's not entitled to she doesn't get to keep it
Newbie
May 30, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Friend is on EI. They lent money to their last employer. Employer is now ready to pay them back. Money being paid is NOT for any work done since EI claim filed. Question on EI biweekly submission says something like, 'did you receive any OTHER money'. I said no but they are scared to risk it all. I saw elsewhere where rental income or capital gains isn't covered. This is just repaying the individual what they are owed (perhaps some interest, but that is not unreasonable (<5%)). Thoughts? Should they click that box and open can of worms? (If pressed, they could show a loan agreement - but it may look funny being from prior employer).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
JustinP3227 wrote: Friend is on EI. They lent money to their last employer. Employer is now ready to pay them back. Money being paid is NOT for any work done since EI claim filed. Question on EI biweekly submission says something like, 'did you receive any OTHER money'. I said no but they are scared to risk it all. I saw elsewhere where rental income or capital gains isn't covered. This is just repaying the individual what they are owed (perhaps some interest, but that is not unreasonable (<5%)). Thoughts? Should they click that box and open can of worms? (If pressed, they could show a loan agreement - but it may look funny being from prior employer).
Don't declare it, it's not income.

On a side note, why is he loaning money to the employer??????
Newbie
May 30, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
I realize it is not income.... but the question asks about any other MONEY received and not income.

I believe he lent it as the guy couldn't afford to pay him much early on...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2192 posts
1265 upvotes
JustinP3227 wrote: I realize it is not income.... but the question asks about any other MONEY received and not income.

I believe he lent it as the guy couldn't afford to pay him much early on...
So...he wasn’t getting paid AND giving the ‘employer’ money?

Not really surprising that he’s no longer ‘employed’.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8776 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
JustinP3227 wrote: I realize it is not income.... but the question asks about any other MONEY received and not income.

I believe he lent it as the guy couldn't afford to pay him much early on...
I realize what the question asks..... EI doesn't care unless it's MONEY related to INCOME from WORK.

But by all means tell your friend to declare it instead
Newbie
May 30, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Oldmarried, It's not really like that.... he did get paid. It's just that he lent money to firm early on.
Cheers

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)