• Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
westcoastyvr wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 8:45 pm
Similar to Smolmari's question above, if I rent a room in my home thru AirBnB does that income need to be reported to EI?
Typically no
Aug 22, 2013
2 posts
Oshawa
Good morning all, I am hoping someone can help with my question. I was approved for sickness benefits and upon my return to work I was let go shortly after with a small severance package. I have requested a change in benefits to regular but I am wondering what the wait time is generally for approval/decision to be made? The company is downsizing so that was the reason for dismissal.

Thank you in advance, just wondering how long I should anticipate no money coming in.
Jun 30, 2009
12 posts
Ottawa, ON
Hi All, looking for some advice with EI. I have been working for about 22 years full time non-stop, and never applied for EI before then. My company did a mass lay-off last year and unfortunately I was included in it. I applied for EI a week after my lay-off. I received an access code a few weeks later asking me to fill bi-weekly report. I did not received any payment yet, nor any information whether my claim has been processed yet. A week later I received a message saying that my claim has been processed and I am entitled to 35 weeks of benefits. (great). During that waiting period, I received a severance pay from my employer equivalent to a year of salary. I filled the EI report and reported that payment. Right after filling the report, I got a message saying to call EI.

I called them, and they told me that due to the severance that I received, they will put a stop on my EI claim for a year, and if I failed to find a job by then I can come back to them to reactivate the claim.

I am still out of work after a year, and I called EI to ask them for advice on how to proceed (remember I didn't receive a single EI payment from them prior to them putting a luck on that claim). Every time I called, they told me someone is looking into my claim and they will call me in 5 days. They never called. I called again, same thing again and again. Following advice from that thread I re-filled the EI claim application just a week ago, right away I received an email saying that my claim has been re-activated, and they sent me the same access code that they gave before. I filled the EI report as per the weeks instructed by them. They paid me two weeks, and they said my last payment will be on Friday July 26 (Which is the expiry date of the previous claim which I never received due to that severance). Now, only after 3 (weeks) payments , I received a message saying that I have reached my end date of claim. I thought the re-activation would have started from the very beginning, meaning the 35 weeks they promised before. What do I do now, since I am still out of work?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
mum24kidz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 11:07 am
Good morning all, I am hoping someone can help with my question. I was approved for sickness benefits and upon my return to work I was let go shortly after with a small severance package. I have requested a change in benefits to regular but I am wondering what the wait time is generally for approval/decision to be made? The company is downsizing so that was the reason for dismissal.

Thank you in advance, just wondering how long I should anticipate no money coming in.
Should be done within 3 weeks, maybe 4 depending on the claim. If you call in they may be able to do it quicker
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
Pythagore wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 11:45 am
Hi All, looking for some advice with EI. I have been working for about 22 years full time non-stop, and never applied for EI before then. My company did a mass lay-off last year and unfortunately I was included in it. I applied for EI a week after my lay-off. I received an access code a few weeks later asking me to fill bi-weekly report. I did not received any payment yet, nor any information whether my claim has been processed yet. A week later I received a message saying that my claim has been processed and I am entitled to 35 weeks of benefits. (great). During that waiting period, I received a severance pay from my employer equivalent to a year of salary. I filled the EI report and reported that payment. Right after filling the report, I got a message saying to call EI.

I called them, and they told me that due to the severance that I received, they will put a stop on my EI claim for a year, and if I failed to find a job by then I can come back to them to reactivate the claim.

I am still out of work after a year, and I called EI to ask them for advice on how to proceed (remember I didn't receive a single EI payment from them prior to them putting a luck on that claim). Every time I called, they told me someone is looking into my claim and they will call me in 5 days. They never called. I called again, same thing again and again. Following advice from that thread I re-filled the EI claim application just a week ago, right away I received an email saying that my claim has been re-activated, and they sent me the same access code that they gave before. I filled the EI report as per the weeks instructed by them. They paid me two weeks, and they said my last payment will be on Friday July 26 (Which is the expiry date of the previous claim which I never received due to that severance). Now, only after 3 (weeks) payments , I received a message saying that I have reached my end date of claim. I thought the re-activation would have started from the very beginning, meaning the 35 weeks they promised before. What do I do now, since I am still out of work?
The extension should kick in on its own and allow you to continue to report after that false end date.
Jul 22, 2019
2 posts
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I work in a weather dependent, seasonal job. I had an EI claim but it is currently deactivated. Sadly, it's been a rougher summer than normal and I won't be working full time (part time at best) for awhile. Do I need to ask my employer for an ROE to reactivate my old claim (good until November) from when I started back in March until now? Will that make the hours on that ROE ineligible for a new claim once this one runs out?
Mar 30, 2019
4 posts
Hi everyone,

I m currently on EI regular benefits. My question is i wanted to leave the country for about 4-5 weeks for a family emergency. I will notify service canada to stop the benefits while i am outside the country. Does anyone knows if they reinstated the EI benefits from where it was paused or they simply don't consider this and cancel the remaining weeks left.

Thankyou
Jul 22, 2019
2 posts
Hi There,

I was on EI from April 2016 till April 2017 to top up my earnings due to a change in hours.

I recieved a letter today from EI stating there were descrepancies between what I reported and what my employer reported. I am going to dig deeper into pays and such since the EI week doesn't line up with my pay periods.

I was a part-time employee at the time so I recieved in lieu of vacation and benefits. I also recieved shift premium depending on the time and day I work. I did not get my paystubs until after I had to file my claim so I am thinking there is where my descrepancies lay. If I total the difference it is about $5600.

In the box on the back of the letter under messages it states "the earnings shown include vacation pay and/or other monies paid by your employer in addition to your regular pay"

Just wondering how to go about this as I am freaking out.

Thanks in advanced.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
moxieman wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 5:16 pm
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I work in a weather dependent, seasonal job. I had an EI claim but it is currently deactivated. Sadly, it's been a rougher summer than normal and I won't be working full time (part time at best) for awhile. Do I need to ask my employer for an ROE to reactivate my old claim (good until November) from when I started back in March until now? Will that make the hours on that ROE ineligible for a new claim once this one runs out?
No you don't need your ROE to reactivate the claim. The hours worked after your dormant claim was established won't count towards this claim anyways
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
crazybuddy2019 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 6:40 pm
Hi everyone,

I m currently on EI regular benefits. My question is i wanted to leave the country for about 4-5 weeks for a family emergency. I will notify service canada to stop the benefits while i am outside the country. Does anyone knows if they reinstated the EI benefits from where it was paused or they simply don't consider this and cancel the remaining weeks left.

Thankyou
Depending on the situation you may be able to collect benefits while outside the country. The balance of benefits are simply paused, not cancelled... Provided you're still within your benefit period window.

Call in to see if you can collect while outside the country
Nov 11, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
Hi All, I want to set up an online store as a hobby, and hopefully turn it into a profitable business, but I’m worried about being laid off from my job in the near future. If I set up an online store and have some profit coming in, however many, could I still be eligible for EI if I get laid off? I want another source of income just in case but I’m worried it’ll ruin my chances of getting EI because I don’t imagine an online store to become successful immediately from the start and may not generate a lot of money immediately.
Jul 22, 2019
2 posts
clseea wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 7:53 pm
No you don't need your ROE to reactivate the claim. The hours worked after your dormant claim was established won't count towards this claim anyways
Thank you. How long (approximately) does it take to reactivate a dormant claim?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
moxieman wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 3:23 pm
Thank you. How long (approximately) does it take to reactivate a dormant claim?
4 weeks if you do it online. They may be able to do it right away if you call in
Mar 4, 2018
85 posts
16 upvotes
nexplore wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 12:33 am
Hi All, I want to set up an online store as a hobby, and hopefully turn it into a profitable business, but I’m worried about being laid off from my job in the near future. If I set up an online store and have some profit coming in, however many, could I still be eligible for EI if I get laid off? I want another source of income just in case but I’m worried it’ll ruin my chances of getting EI because I don’t imagine an online store to become successful immediately from the start and may not generate a lot of money immediately.
If the layoff happens, and you want EI, you have to look for full time work. As long as you are still looking for full time work while working in your self employment, you'll probably be fine. There will be a bunch of questions they use to determine your self-employment status.