• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2019 12:16 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2135 posts
1188 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 6:53 pm
What reasonable alternatives to quitting did you exhaust?
Asked them not to pay him so it wouldn’t affect his EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8704 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 11:11 am
Asked them not to pay him so it wouldn’t affect his EI?
Seems...reasonable....hmmmm lol
Oct 14, 2019
1 posts
I just got laid off from a job I took in at the end of June, I had quit my other job that was also temporary for this one that paid better had better hours, and gave me more options for even better paying work later (its a union job so i'm on a employment list there now). Iwas wondering if EI will accept my claim seeing as I quit my last job but for good reason.
Mar 4, 2018
96 posts
16 upvotes
hnrydlr wrote:
Oct 14th, 2019 6:45 pm
Here is my situation. I was dismissed without cause on October 2018. Since I was booked to go home to the Philippines for my brother's wedding on November 2018, I did not look for a new job. While I was abroad, I applied for EI and I was approved for regular benefits on November 23, 2018. My return flight to Canada was on Jaunuary 2019. However, just a few days before my flight, my partner suddenly passed away. I had to cancel my flight because of what happened. Eventually, my health status suffered and I had to be treated for depression. I stayed back home to finish my treatment based on my doctor's advice. I thought it was the right thing to do because I do not have any family members in Canada to take care of me.

I returned to Canada on August 2019 after finishing my treatment. My benefits will end on October 26, 2019 and I will be able to claim only 11 weeks out of my 38 weeks of entitlement. I have made a request for a reconsideration to extend my end date of claim but it was denied because I did not have the necessary grounds for extension. I have been actively looking for a job since I returned to the country and I did not expect that it would be more difficult for me to find a suitable job .

My question is, am I eligible to apply for sickness benefits during the period that I was sick and out of the country? I might be missing my other options and I will highly appreciate your inputs. Thank you in advance.
Sickness EI would not apply to your situation. One of the conditions of sickness benefits: would you be ready, willing, and capable of work if it were not for your sickness. Being outside the country would make you not eligible. Sorry for your loss.
Mar 4, 2018
96 posts
16 upvotes
Nickm8s wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 4:34 pm
I just got laid off from a job I took in at the end of June, I had quit my other job that was also temporary for this one that paid better had better hours, and gave me more options for even better paying work later (its a union job so i'm on a employment list there now). Iwas wondering if EI will accept my claim seeing as I quit my last job but for good reason.
Was the first job full time? Was the new job full time?
How much time was there between stopping the first job to starting the second job?
Did you have a job offer from the second job before handing in your resignation with the first job?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2135 posts
1188 upvotes
tammy4444 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2019 9:47 am
I cant believe how frustrating this whole experience is. Bad enough I cant find work, but they make this such a difficult process. All I want to know is if I have been approved for benefits, I can at least borrow some money if I know there's some coming. I was escalated on the 8th, spoke to OCS who told me to keep trying to call the call centre which is so busy I cant even get into the queue. My MP's last day (retiring) is tomorrow. Should I see if he can make a phone call on my behalf?

Rehash of my situation:
Applied on Sep 12
Three jobs in the last 52 weeks
- June 2019 to Sep 2019 Seasonal layoff 500 hours approx
- December 2018 to May 2019 - Quit (without having a job to go to because hours were cut and I could not afford to pay rent) 600 hours approx
- Sep 2018 to December 2018, Layoff (business closure). 650 hours approx

Called on Oct 3rd, after expected date had passed and was told to give it until Oct 11th, checked on October 8th and claim had been deactivated with a "no client record found". So I called and they escalated it and told me the system auto deactivated the claim and I should see it reactivated when I login and have answers within 5 days. Its been over 5 biz days and still nothing.

Now I have to report this weekend and i cant access the reporting tool. It says I don't have an active claim to report for,

I'm so deflated.
They have to adjudicate the reason why you quit the job in May of 2019. Without having another job to go to, it’s unlikely those hours will be approved as you don’t have a valid reason for quitting.

That takes time unfortunately.

If this is the case, the hours from June to September 2019 will be used only. If you only have 500 hours your claim will only be approved if the area you live in has an unemployment rate of 11.1% or higher.

Contacting your MPs office with ensure a quicker decision so I recommend that.

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... tml#a6_3_0
Oct 17, 2019
1 posts
I'm trying to understand the exact details of the WWOC provisions. Let's say I have an active claim with a base benefit rate of $400. If I find temporary part-time work for three weeks at $300 per week, such that my clawed-back benefit amount would be $250, as I understand it I can pause benefits in order to save the full entitlement weeks until later in the 52 benefit period. To effectively pause the claim, do I have to indicate that I found full-time work in the online reporting system? And if I pause, will there be a delay in re-starting my benefits after the three weeks of temporary part-time work ends? thanks a lot.
Mar 4, 2018
96 posts
16 upvotes
spiltmilkunderthebridge wrote:
Oct 18th, 2019 10:20 am
I'm trying to understand the exact details of the WWOC provisions. Let's say I have an active claim with a base benefit rate of $400. If I find temporary part-time work for three weeks at $300 per week, such that my clawed-back benefit amount would be $250, as I understand it I can pause benefits in order to save the full entitlement weeks until later in the 52 benefit period. To effectively pause the claim, do I have to indicate that I found full-time work in the online reporting system? And if I pause, will there be a delay in re-starting my benefits after the three weeks of temporary part-time work ends? thanks a lot.
Is this a 3 week contract where you will be laid off after? If so you have a few options:
You can call them and say you want to refuse payment for those 3 weeks.
Or you can declare that you found full time work. If you do that, you will need to do another application after those 3 weeks which will reactive your claim. Assuming there are no issue with your claim or any issue with your re-application, it will reactive right away. If there is an issue, it might take a few weeks to reactive but you would get back payment for anything you were owed.
If this isn't a 3 week contract... if it's a continuing part time/on-call type job, you can just call them to refuse payment for any weeks you wish to save.
Oct 13, 2019
2 posts
clseea wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 11:38 am
Seems...reasonable....hmmmm lol
I did ask them, however they rejected. such a pain. i could not work out anything else as this is production job, and it smells as it smells. they said me that noone has issue with smell so far:( I guess I will be losing EI - will go to Service Canada today to report....
Jul 21, 2014
3 posts
Vancouver, BC
Is there a possibility to request an extension of my EI benefits even though it has ended? I feel that the calculation of my EI doesn't feel right. My ROE states insurable hours of 960 and I was entitled to 15 weeks of benefit. If I were to look at "Maximum number of weeks of EI Regular benefits payable" table from this link, https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... mount.html, the 15 weeks isn't in the possibility range. At the same time, my ROE letter code is "M". I had been with the company for three years and was fired because my employer states that my performance isn't good as before. Does this affect it?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2135 posts
1188 upvotes
yuester wrote:
Oct 28th, 2019 12:27 am
Is there a possibility to request an extension of my EI benefits even though it has ended? I feel that the calculation of my EI doesn't feel right. My ROE states insurable hours of 960 and I was entitled to 15 weeks of benefit. If I were to look at "Maximum number of weeks of EI Regular benefits payable" table from this link, https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... mount.html, the 15 weeks isn't in the possibility range. At the same time, my ROE letter code is "M". I had been with the company for three years and was fired because my employer states that my performance isn't good as before. Does this affect it?
No you can’t request an extension.

On a side note, why did you wait until your claim ended to look into your entitlement?

I’m would give them a call as what you’re saying doesn’t make sense.

Were you on regular or sickness benefits?
Jul 21, 2014
3 posts
Vancouver, BC
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Oct 28th, 2019 9:50 am
No you can’t request an extension.

On a side note, why did you wait until your claim ended to look into your entitlement?

I’m would give them a call as what you’re saying doesn’t make sense.

Were you on regular or sickness benefits?
Honestly I was dumb. In my mind I thought I had a year of EI because my last EI lasted around 35 weeks and I worked for 7 months, so I thought maybe it is roughly the same or more duration again.

I didn't realized my EI has ended until I couldn't do my EI report, so that is when I tried to look at the website for more information.

I was on regular benefits.

Edit:
I called them and it is because I applied late.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2135 posts
1188 upvotes
yuester wrote:
Oct 28th, 2019 5:10 pm
Honestly I was dumb. In my mind I thought I had a year of EI because my last EI lasted around 35 weeks and I worked for 7 months, so I thought maybe it is roughly the same or more duration again.

I didn't realized my EI has ended until I couldn't do my EI report, so that is when I tried to look at the website for more information.

I was on regular benefits.

Edit:
I called them and it is because I applied late.
There’s your answer.

You could file an antedate request, which is requesting that your claim be back dated to when you were actually laid off.

However, if you don’t have a good reason for the delay, it won’t get approved.

You can call in and do it over the phone or print the form online complete and send it in (which will take way way longer).

Good luck.
Jul 21, 2014
3 posts
Vancouver, BC
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 9:48 am
There’s your answer.

You could file an antedate request, which is requesting that your claim be back dated to when you were actually laid off.

However, if you don’t have a good reason for the delay, it won’t get approved.

You can call in and do it over the phone or print the form online complete and send it in (which will take way way longer).

Good luck.
Thank you for your guidance. I do not think I can get it approved because I don't have a good reason.

I wasn't happy when I was terminated, so I took a vacation afterwards to take a break. For future reference, would I lose my weeks of entitlement if I were to go on vacation while I am on EI benefits?
Oct 28, 2019
1 posts
Hey, I was employed seasonally until the 27th of august when I was laid off, I was offered a seat in a program offered that started the 3rd of september when a spot became available, thinking that it would make me more employable I jumped on it. I realized that it was not a good fit for me and withdrew from the program on the 7th of October and filed for ei on the 9th. I did not file for ei right away as I didn't think i was eligible while in school. I have the requisite hours and I did not quit my employment for school, but I am wondering whether the delay of over one month or the fact that I was in school briefly would prevent me from being eligible to receive normal ei benefits while I look for work, which is currently proving tough. Any light you could shed on my situation would be appreciated. Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)