• Apr 25th, 2018 4:47 pm
Oct 13, 2007
453 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 2:03 pm
Yes.

The letter is generated automatically after you apply. It doesn't mean the claim is processed.
I have applied about a week ago I talked to a few co-worker who also applied at the same date and they got their information last week and I have still yet to receive mine should I contact them about it?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Punira wrote:
Nov 30th, 2011 2:56 pm
Sorry if this has been asked before.

If I received a separation package and i signed it. Would I be eligible to apply for EI?

Thanks.

If the separation package is worth >2 years of pay, then you won't be eligible. Benefits are not payable while you are in receipt of separation monies. Regardless, you should apply now.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7455 posts
381 upvotes
Hello,

How to handle this sick leave? and get benefits?

A friend got a note from the Doc saying he's advised to not go to work (no reason given) and to avoid even going to work the next day even until he's cleared.

I believe it's called work related stress, but the note says nothing about that.

What should he do now? I don't think any workplace would tolerate this, so should it instead be reframed as a Stress leave (to the HR department?) to protect him? Should he apply to the government right now? Doc didn't give instructions regarding this.

I read up and found.. :
-you apply for Sick Benefits with the expectation of going back to work
-this lasts 15 weeks

however, I'm not sure if what's going on counts as sick benefits. it looks like the Gov could say its an unpaid emergency leave (10 days per year), which.. sucks.

Does the doc need to say its for a long period of time and its an official sickness benefits leave? or can he just apply for this immediately?
Jan 9, 2011
352 posts
28 upvotes
Hello one more time,

If I decide to take a maternity leave contract (1 year), after the contract would I qualify for EI again? Would I qualify if I decided to end the contract before the 1 year?

I just checked my status as I received a notice indicating that my maximum benefit weeks is 36 weeks (9 months). There's finally information about benefit rate and total insurable earnings, etc.. can you clarify what this all means in layman's terms.. I'm trying to figure out how much I'd be getting per month so I can budget properly..

Benefit Rate: $422
Federal Tax: $45
Allowable Earnings: $169

From what I gather from this information, $422 - $45 = $377 (a week), doing bi-weekly reports I should see a payment of $754 every two weeks and $1508/month.. am I calculating this correctly? Are there any further deductions I'm not aware of? Allowable Earnings, is this the amount I can earn per week/two weeks without it affecting my $422?

Sorry if I seem totally confused by all this, this is my first time ever applying for this..

Thanks, once again!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
masterhapposai wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 10:33 am
Hello,

How to handle this sick leave? and get benefits?

A friend got a note from the Doc saying he's advised to not go to work (no reason given) and to avoid even going to work the next day even until he's cleared.

I believe it's called work related stress, but the note says nothing about that.

What should he do now? I don't think any workplace would tolerate this, so should it instead be reframed as a Stress leave (to the HR department?) to protect him? Should he apply to the government right now? Doc didn't give instructions regarding this.

I read up and found.. :
-you apply for Sick Benefits with the expectation of going back to work
-this lasts 15 weeks

however, I'm not sure if what's going on counts as sick benefits. it looks like the Gov could say its an unpaid emergency leave (10 days per year), which.. sucks.

Does the doc need to say its for a long period of time and its an official sickness benefits leave? or can he just apply for this immediately?

When it comes to sickness benefits, if the claimant provides valid, legit medical documentation which proves the claimant is incapable of work due to health reasons, he/she will qualify, regardless what the employer says. A person who is disqualified from regular benefits (ie dismissal with misconduct or quit without just cause) can still qualify for special benefits if they meet the criteria. You can apply for sickness benefits whether you are employed, unemployed or taking a leave of absence.

Your friend can apply immediately since he already have the documentation. Remember that this is still EI so everyone has to serve two week waiting period. If his sick leave is 2 weeks or less, he will not get any benefits.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Msh3ll wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 11:06 am
Hello one more time,

If I decide to take a maternity leave contract (1 year), after the contract would I qualify for EI again? Would I qualify if I decided to end the contract before the 1 year?
The answer to the first question is yes, as long as you worked sufficient hours. The answer to the second depends on whether you quit with just cause.
Msh3ll wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 11:06 am
Benefit Rate: $422
Federal Tax: $45
Allowable Earnings: $169

From what I gather from this information, $422 - $45 = $377 (a week), doing bi-weekly reports I should see a payment of $754 every two weeks and $1508/month.. am I calculating this correctly? Are there any further deductions I'm not aware of? Allowable Earnings, is this the amount I can earn per week/two weeks without it affecting my $422?

Sorry if I seem totally confused by all this, this is my first time ever applying for this..

Thanks, once again!
You will get $754 every two weeks, and $1508 every 4 weeks (remember some months have 5 weeks, most have 4). And you are right about the allowable. Every dollar you make over the allowable will be deducted from your benefit rate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7455 posts
381 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2011 1:57 pm
When it comes to sickness benefits, if the claimant provides valid, legit medical documentation which proves the claimant is incapable of work due to health reasons, he/she will qualify, regardless what the employer says. A person who is disqualified from regular benefits (ie dismissal with misconduct or quit without just cause) can still qualify for special benefits if they meet the criteria. You can apply for sickness benefits whether you are employed, unemployed or taking a leave of absence.

Your friend can apply immediately since he already have the documentation. Remember that this is still EI so everyone has to serve two week waiting period. If his sick leave is 2 weeks or less, he will not get any benefits.

thanks, you are really helping people here. some people out there have debt and very little savings, so these programs are life savers.

I will look through the thread to see if any "quit with cause" questions were answered.

Specifically I'm looking to see now if the person can :
1) Go on Sickness Benefits 15 weeks
2) Quit, claim its with cause (the place stresses him out)
3) Apply for E.I for a longer period until he finds a better job that is less stressful
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
masterhapposai wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2011 1:03 am
thanks, you are really helping people here. some people out there have debt and very little savings, so these programs are life savers.

I will look through the thread to see if any "quit with cause" questions were answered.

Specifically I'm looking to see now if the person can :
1) Go on Sickness Benefits 15 weeks
2) Quit, claim its with cause (the place stresses him out)
3) Apply for E.I for a longer period until he finds a better job that is less stressful

Definitely. A person can switch from sickness to regular benefits if he qualifies. This type of scenario is not uncommon.
Oct 13, 2007
453 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Hello I have applied for EI and did not receive my access code until today and unlucky of me it was the day after the reporting period "Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from November 21, 2010 to December 04, 2010. You need to reactivate your claim before we can accept another report."

So how do I reactivate my claim? On the website I was reading about how it is done automatically? And what do you think I should do now since I messed my reporting
Nov 4, 2011
3 posts
VANCOUVER
Hi There,

Got a question.

What happens if you apply for Medical EI, and you submit from the beginning, every single document needed… doctor's letter, forms, paystubs, proof of income and hours worked the last 52 weeks, etc…… and the only thing missing is the ROE because of the ex-employers' games? Do you just lose all that time and payments (you could have received) while you are waiting for the ROE? or can you get some sort of payment once everything is finalized for the delays caused by your ex-employer?

I applied over 3 weeks ago and like I said I submitted everything. Service Canada has looked at my documentation and say I have everything except that ROE. My employer refuses to produce the ROE… he avoids me, doesn't reply to my emails, calls… and we had already talked since the day i left about ROE. It's taken him over 3 weeks and today he called me to threaten me not produce the roe and take all the time he wants so that he affects my Ei claim (as he said). I already filed a complaint at service canada about my trouble getting this ROE and they have assured me they'll take care of it… but that of course it would take them up to three weeks before they can finally contact my ex-employer.
As it looks right now… this could easily take another 2-3 weeks… for a total of 6 weeks. All this because the ex-employer is playing games and refuses to hand in that ROE.

So if you for example have from the doctors the form that says you are unable to work for let's say 10 weeks…… and you submit everything from day one. If your employer refuses to produce this ROE until 5 weeks later… meaning you are 5 weeks away from the date provided by your doctors. Can the employer get away with this just to hurt you and you end up getting only 5 weeks of EI due to the games of the employer? Or could you get some sort of reimbursement for the delays that were not your fault nor service canada's fault.

Thanks in advance.
Feb 4, 2003
963 posts
77 upvotes
skywalker wrote:
Nov 18th, 2011 3:19 pm
Just a question for my friend-
In ROE, total insurable hours according to chart on reverse is 1895.75 hours. The pay is the semi-monthly pay. So according to charts that's 25 consecutive pay. So it figure out for annual 24 payments that's 1895.75/25*24= 1819.92 round to 1820. According to the weeks chart online he should be entitle to 42 weeks paid regular EI.
But the agent confirmed the Total Insurable Hours is 1812 and Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement is 41. Is it right? 1820 vs 1812 seems typo to me.

Thanks.
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2011 3:43 pm
Your math seems to be right. The rate/entitlement is calculated by an antique program called SSA (I think it stands for System Support for Agents). It's a ****** program that's written probably 30 years ago. Anyway, my calculation is the same as yours so it could be a software issue.
Hi my friend called again and asked above issue. The officer mentioned something about first 5 weeks insurable hours do not count so at the end the eligible insurable hours is 1812.

Is somewhere providing details about the calculation or he is missing something?
Thanks again.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
fathobo231 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 6:49 pm
Hello I have applied for EI and did not receive my access code until today and unlucky of me it was the day after the reporting period "Our records show that the period you should be reporting for is the 2 week period from November 21, 2010 to December 04, 2010. You need to reactivate your claim before we can accept another report."

So how do I reactivate my claim? On the website I was reading about how it is done automatically? And what do you think I should do now since I messed my reporting

You can reactivate your claim by filing another application. In the meantime, call the call centre and explain that you received your access code late and that's why you didn't file the report in time.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
thedudefromthenorth wrote:
Dec 5th, 2011 7:55 pm
Hi There,

Got a question.

What happens if you apply for Medical EI, and you submit from the beginning, every single document needed… doctor's letter, forms, paystubs, proof of income and hours worked the last 52 weeks, etc…… and the only thing missing is the ROE because of the ex-employers' games? Do you just lose all that time and payments (you could have received) while you are waiting for the ROE? or can you get some sort of payment once everything is finalized for the delays caused by your ex-employer?

I applied over 3 weeks ago and like I said I submitted everything. Service Canada has looked at my documentation and say I have everything except that ROE. My employer refuses to produce the ROE… he avoids me, doesn't reply to my emails, calls… and we had already talked since the day i left about ROE. It's taken him over 3 weeks and today he called me to threaten me not produce the roe and take all the time he wants so that he affects my Ei claim (as he said). I already filed a complaint at service canada about my trouble getting this ROE and they have assured me they'll take care of it… but that of course it would take them up to three weeks before they can finally contact my ex-employer.
As it looks right now… this could easily take another 2-3 weeks… for a total of 6 weeks. All this because the ex-employer is playing games and refuses to hand in that ROE.

So if you for example have from the doctors the form that says you are unable to work for let's say 10 weeks…… and you submit everything from day one. If your employer refuses to produce this ROE until 5 weeks later… meaning you are 5 weeks away from the date provided by your doctors. Can the employer get away with this just to hurt you and you end up getting only 5 weeks of EI due to the games of the employer? Or could you get some sort of reimbursement for the delays that were not your fault nor service canada's fault.

Thanks in advance.

Service Canada has the ability to create Interm ROE in situations like these. You already provided information that's sufficient for an Interm ROE to be created. When you said that you already filed a complaint with Servie Canada, did you mean that you fill out an Request for ROE form?

As for the lateness for the ROE issue date, it will bear little consequence in whether your claim gets approved or not. But of course, with an ******* employer like yours, it's difficult for adjudicators to be on their side. :lol:

One more thing, if your claim is approved, you will get back-paid.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
skywalker wrote:
Dec 6th, 2011 11:21 am
Hi my friend called again and asked above issue. The officer mentioned something about first 5 weeks insurable hours do not count so at the end the eligible insurable hours is 1812.

Is somewhere providing details about the calculation or he is missing something?
Thanks again.

This is interesting. Is there a gap of four week or more between his application date and the last day of work?
Feb 4, 2003
963 posts
77 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2011 8:55 pm
This is interesting. Is there a gap of four week or more between his application date and the last day of work?

Nope. The application date is Nov.1st and last day of the work is Oct.31.
Thanks for your help.