Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 9:46 am
Dec 25, 2009
1 posts
North Bay
I have been searching for information and found this thread. I have recently become unemployed and eligible for EI. My employer is keeping me on payroll for another month even though I am not physically
at work. Do I apply for EI now even though I am still on payroll with benefits etc or when I receive my last pay from the employer. I was an hourly employee and worked a lot of overtime so I have no idea of the amounts I will be paid.There is no severance package. This is all new to me and I have researched and found no answers. I am hoping you can provide me with some direction. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
May 24, 2012
85 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
I made a claim on the 20th of October. I am currently waiting for my last record of employment. I am told that I have to wait until the pay period ends which will be November 7th, and Ill recieve that on that date. Is there something I should say to service canada? This is for my maternity claim. I have another record of employment, I need to take down, should I take it down tomorrow and explain that I am waiting for my last one.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
powder wrote:
Oct 29th, 2012 3:02 pm
I have been searching for information and found this thread. I have recently become unemployed and eligible for EI. My employer is keeping me on payroll for another month even though I am not physically
at work. Do I apply for EI now even though I am still on payroll with benefits etc or when I receive my last pay from the employer. I was an hourly employee and worked a lot of overtime so I have no idea of the amounts I will be paid.There is no severance package. This is all new to me and I have researched and found no answers. I am hoping you can provide me with some direction. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You're on salary continuance as you're technically still an employee. You can apply EI the day your salary continuance ends.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
colorfulpoet wrote:
Oct 29th, 2012 4:05 pm
I made a claim on the 20th of October. I am currently waiting for my last record of employment. I am told that I have to wait until the pay period ends which will be November 7th, and Ill recieve that on that date. Is there something I should say to service canada? This is for my maternity claim. I have another record of employment, I need to take down, should I take it down tomorrow and explain that I am waiting for my last one.
If it's an electronic copy, the employer has to issue to the ROE within 5 business days of the last pay period ending date. You are doing fine as your claim won't be calculated until the final ROE arrives. Only contact Service Canada if you don't receive the ROE in time.
Nov 10, 2007
229 posts
18 upvotes
toronto
I have a question about the waiting period for ei insurance. I have been notified that i will be layed off in about a month, i am planning on going on vacation after this happens. The timing is going to ibe 13days after i get layed off. And i would return 2 weeks later about 30 days after my last day worked. So my question is, when i apply for employment insurance i should inform them right away that i have a flight ticket and will be going on vacation during the waiting period? Or do i file my report after i get back from vacation and then inform them? Should i file my ei when i arrive back one month from my last day worked or apply right away? Thanks
Aug 25, 2008
599 posts
45 upvotes
Sorry - this thread is just too huge to comb through - I have a quick question.

Over the past year, my wife has bounced between different work contracts; she has had periods of unemployment between those contracts.

Are we able to submit for EI for her for the periods she was not working over the past 52 (or longer) weeks?

Thanks very much
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
supplementking wrote:
Oct 29th, 2012 8:08 pm
I have a question about the waiting period for ei insurance. I have been notified that i will be layed off in about a month, i am planning on going on vacation after this happens. The timing is going to ibe 13days after i get layed off. And i would return 2 weeks later about 30 days after my last day worked. So my question is, when i apply for employment insurance i should inform them right away that i have a flight ticket and will be going on vacation during the waiting period? Or do i file my report after i get back from vacation and then inform them? Should i file my ei when i arrive back one month from my last day worked or apply right away? Thanks
Apply on your last day of work, then call Service Canada to notify your travel plan.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
Maharg wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 11:04 am
Sorry - this thread is just too huge to comb through - I have a quick question.

Over the past year, my wife has bounced between different work contracts; she has had periods of unemployment between those contracts.

Are we able to submit for EI for her for the periods she was not working over the past 52 (or longer) weeks?

Thanks very much
What are the dates?
Aug 25, 2008
599 posts
45 upvotes
Thanks for replying - I don't have the dates in front of me, but it's probably about 12 weeks out of the last 52 that she was not earning income...
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
Maharg wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 2:49 pm
Thanks for replying - I don't have the dates in front of me, but it's probably about 12 weeks out of the last 52 that she was not earning income...
Usually ignorance of the rules is not good cause for not applying on time. But she can always apply and find out whether her atnedate request is approved.
Nov 10, 2007
229 posts
18 upvotes
toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 11:09 am
Apply on your last day of work, then call Service Canada to notify your travel plan.
Thanks for your time and your answer.
Lets say that i return 3 weeks later instead of 2 which would be 37days after my last day worked. I would apply for ei then notify them within the 13 days after i get layed off that i will be taking a vacation for 3 weeks everything will be okay. The length of time spent on vacation doesn't matter as long as i report it before going on the trip?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
supplementking wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 4:44 pm
Thanks for your time and your answer.
Lets say that i return 3 weeks later instead of 2 which would be 37days after my last day worked. I would apply for ei then notify them within the 13 days after i get layed off that i will be taking a vacation for 3 weeks everything will be okay. The length of time spent on vacation doesn't matter as long as i report it before going on the trip?
Length of the trip won't matter, as long as you tell them you're leaving. You won't be payable during the time you're away, and you can't serve your waiting period while you're away.
Sep 13, 2011
304 posts
105 upvotes
What is the timeframe from date of application and notification of a decision? I applied Oct 8th, still haven't heard. ROE's are in.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
Canuck000 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 7:26 pm
What is the timeframe from date of application and notification of a decision? I applied Oct 8th, still haven't heard. ROE's are in.
Was the reason for separation contentious (quit, dismissed, unavailable etc...)?