EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 10:02 am
Oct 12, 2002
386 posts
2 upvotes
colorfulpoet wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 10:19 am
From May 2011 to May 2012 I had 1200 insurable hours. May 2012 and October 2012 I only have 275 insurable hours. October 2011 to October 2012 I have 720 hours. My due date is November 25th, and last day of work was October 20th. I have a c-section finally booked for NOvember 14th 2012.

By May I was already starting to look very pregnant so finding a job started to become very hard. In February 2012 I quit my job that is when I was denied for the May 2012 claim (not a big deal) The other two jobs I had since May of 2012 1st one was for a month and I gained 90 hours and reason for no longer working there was shortage of work (no fault of mine) and the 3rd job was for just a little over a month and I gained 185 hours while working there and my record of employment says my reason for quitting was because of pregnancy/paternity. They told me to come talk to them when maternity runs out and they will take me back working there for the 20 - 30 hours a week I was working before.
so did you call and ask them to terminate the claim? if not ask for a call back to see what is more beneficial for you. Unless you already collected a week on your old claim. those hours won't be used to calculate the new claim from may 2012 - may 2011. If they did cancel the claim the only hours used on your new claim starting oct 2012 would be from may 2012 - oct 2012. Maybe thats the reason why they reactivated the old claim.
Nov 7, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Terrific of you to share your knowledge, even though this is a bit of an odd forum for this conversation.

Wondering if there is any hope in appealing the fact that a bonus pay-out (retention bonus agreed to in contract) should NOT be counted as weeks of income after the contract ended?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9783 posts
3687 upvotes
Calgary
ultimatesummer wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 3:19 pm
Terrific of you to share your knowledge, even though this is a bit of an odd forum for this conversation.

Wondering if there is any hope in appealing the fact that a bonus pay-out (retention bonus agreed to in contract) should NOT be counted as weeks of income after the contract ended?
Nope.
Sep 11, 2011
318 posts
117 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 9:21 am
She needs to exhaust all reasonable alternatives prior to quitting. Can can she transfer? Can she work different shifts? Can she take a leave of absence etc etc? Sounds like the steps you've given her in terms of documentation are spot on. Plus, has she accumulated enough hours to qualify?
Thanks for answering.

No, she can't take an LOA - not sure she would take an LOA? No, to the transfer as it's the only firm in the city, no to the shifts as the office is only open M-F 8-5.
I forgot about the hrs. I'll talk to her about her hrs.
I'm not sure why service Canada would make it so diffucult. Isn't work place bullying, harrasment by fellow co-workers, and being demeaned on the job against the law? If I saw or heard one of my staff treat a fellow co-workers in this manner they would have their arses out the door. I'm just stunned that the owner of this firm knows what's going on and out right refuses to do anything. He also knows the field she's in is very slow now. This is why she's having a hard time finding another job.

I'm not sure what are more reasonable options. Do you have any other advise about these options?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
bellagirl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 6:55 pm
Thanks for answering.

No, she can't take an LOA - not sure she would take an LOA? No, to the transfer as it's the only firm in the city, no to the shifts as the office is only open M-F 8-5.
I forgot about the hrs. I'll talk to her about her hrs.
I'm not sure why service Canada would make it so diffucult. Isn't work place bullying, harrasment by fellow co-workers, and being demeaned on the job against the law? If I saw or heard one of my staff treat a fellow co-workers in this manner they would have their arses out the door. I'm just stunned that the owner of this firm knows what's going on and out right refuses to do anything. He also knows the field she's in is very slow now. This is why she's having a hard time finding another job.

I'm not sure what are more reasonable options. Do you have any other advise about these options?
If she's exhausted all of those options and it's not just a simple personality conflict, chances are it would be deemed just cause and she'd qualify (if she has the hours). Service Canada isn't trying to make it difficult, they're simply trying to ensure people don't get EI because person A doesn't like person B.

See here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... _coworkers
Mar 7, 2011
40 posts
17 upvotes
I left my job in mid May this year to take care of my extremely ill relative, and I've been out of work since and I am having trouble finding a new job right now. I just found out now that this qualifies me for Employment Insurance. However it's been 6 months, I wonder if I could still go file my claim, and if so would i be able to get the missed payments?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9783 posts
3687 upvotes
Calgary
charzardz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 11:07 pm
I left my job in mid May this year to take care of my extremely ill relative, and I've been out of work since and I am having trouble finding a new job right now. I just found out now that this qualifies me for Employment Insurance. However it's been 6 months, I wonder if I could still go file my claim, and if so would i be able to get the missed payments?
Apply now, you should still have enough hours to qualify. Then apply for antedate and explain why you apply late.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9783 posts
3687 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Nov 8th, 2012 7:12 pm
If she's exhausted all of those options and it's not just a simple personality conflict, chances are it would be deemed just cause and she'd qualify (if she has the hours). Service Canada isn't trying to make it difficult, they're simply trying to ensure people don't get EI because person A doesn't like person B.

See here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... _coworkers
+1. Based on my experiences your friend will definitely qualify. However documentation is key. If she approaches the manager and nothing is done, then she does have just cause.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 12:13 am
Apply now, you should still have enough hours to qualify. Then apply for antedate and explain why you apply late.
But it'd be for CCB, and the 6 month window has closed already.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9783 posts
3687 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 3:44 am
But it'd be for CCB, and the 6 month window has closed already.
Well it is just cause to quit one's job to care for an ill family member, assuming he exhausted all other reasonable alternatives. He might not be available during those time, but he is probably available now and therefore qualifies for Regular benefits.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 10:56 am
Well it is just cause to quit one's job to care for an ill family member, assuming he exhausted all other reasonable alternatives. He might not be available during those time, but he is probably available now and therefore qualifies for Regular benefits.
I was thinking he was still caring for the family member
May 24, 2012
85 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
They finalized my claim only until May 2013, but I was lucky to find a fulltime position that pays not too bad for June 1st, so Im okay. My question is, does collecting Child Tax, employment supplement, and rental supplement affect how much I will get from EI, or do I only have to claim income from either child support, or employment. Also do I contact them once my baby is born?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
colorfulpoet wrote:
Nov 9th, 2012 9:04 pm
They finalized my claim only until May 2013, but I was lucky to find a fulltime position that pays not too bad for June 1st, so Im okay. My question is, does collecting Child Tax, employment supplement, and rental supplement affect how much I will get from EI, or do I only have to claim income from either child support, or employment. Also do I contact them once my baby is born?
Child tax isn't. What are the details of the employment and rental supplements?
Contact them if your baby is born outside the expected due date week.
Jun 25, 2010
29 posts
Vancouver
well, my claim is in limbo status.

Here is the thing, as it turns out I dont need any EI afterward. I am already employed and the EI payout date is a week after the start of my new job.

The problem is that I can not clear up my EI status. I had been using the online reporting system to track my activity. It has stop functioning since early October. The login screen would either shows me a notice that says my previous claim is still being processed, or it would ask me to file my activity in the Sep period (I have already done this twice). I suspect the system got mess up when I reported a 1 week out of country travel in Sep.

All I want to do is access the October period, and mark the little checkmark that says I have found employment.

I am not in a hurry or anything, but this is annoying. I work office hour so I don't have time to waste on phone calls (which from my previous experience, never gets pick up)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)