Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
Dec 17, 2011
1 posts
Hi,
I was approved and was receiving EI payments after my contract ended. I then took a free two day training course. I included this in my report, but still indicated that I was available for work. (If the opportunity had come up I would have ditched the course for work). While I've been waiting for a decision I have missed 5 weeks of EI payments.

Does Service Canada give back pay or extend the EI payment period for these weeks (not including the 2 day training course) of missed EI payments?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
question13 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2011 5:23 pm
Hi,
I was approved and was receiving EI payments after my contract ended. I then took a free two day training course. I included this in my report, but still indicated that I was available for work. (If the opportunity had come up I would have ditched the course for work). While I've been waiting for a decision I have missed 5 weeks of EI payments.

Does Service Canada give back pay or extend the EI payment period for these weeks (not including the 2 day training course) of missed EI payments?

Wow. Visit your MP to file a complaint. There is no excuse to miss 5 weeks for payments for a minor issue like this. Or you can be like this guy and call Diane Finley's office and the issue will be resolved the next day: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1103785

Most likely your availability will be approved. You will receive the missed payments altogether once a positive decision is reached.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2702 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
I have a question:

I have been working full time for 4+ years. If I take on a new job with 1 year contract and then take a 37 weeks of parental leave near the end of contract. Will I be able to collect EI after the parental leave finished.
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
fatkinglet wrote:
Dec 19th, 2011 1:24 pm
I have a question:

I have been working full time for 4+ years. If I take on a new job with 1 year contract and then take a 37 weeks of parental leave near the end of contract. Will I be able to collect EI after the parental leave finished.

Parental is 35 weeks. After your parental benefit run out, if you are available and actively looking for fulltime work, you can switch to regular benefits and collect additional 15 weeks of regular benefits.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
1525 posts
12 upvotes
ive submitted my claim early nov, all my ROE are in as well, but still no decision made yet. Tried calling them but the auto system refuse to transfer me to an operator
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
gcg wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 11:24 am
ive submitted my claim early nov, all my ROE are in as well, but still no decision made yet. Tried calling them but the auto system refuse to transfer me to an operator

yeah this sucks. Complain to your MP and ***** about it. :razz:
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1283 posts
71 upvotes
Hi

My 1 year contract will end on Feb 28, 2012. Based on my hours worked, I am entitled to 40 weeks of benefits.

I want to do some travelling outside the country before starting my next job search, and want to know how it will affect my benefits. I am aware that when I am out of the country, I am not entitled to any benefits.

Situation A

If I leave Canada immediately on Feb 28 and come back on June 1, will I "lose" the 12 weeks of benefits that I am entitled to? (Only 28 weeks of benefits left)
I understand that I can claim the 40 weeks within a 52 week period. Is there anyway for me to start the claim after I come back?

Situation B

Alternatively, if I leave the country on April 1 and go away for 12 weeks, do I lose the 12 weeks since I was out of the country and that they will pay me beginning on March 15, 2012.( 2 weeks of waiting period)

thanks
Jul 19, 2005
138 posts
59 upvotes
Hello again, not sure if you remember me, but i Pmed you about my particular case 2 weeks ago, I submitted my ROE in person on Nov 21st, and they still haven't made a decision,
last week I got a letter saying " 876 we are working on your claim. A decision wil be made soon ". Is this an automated letter or are they actually close to making a decision?
Jan 9, 2011
374 posts
33 upvotes
Hi again..

Just a brief explanation to remind you..

Laid off October 20th with a 6 week severance.. filed with EI the same day and they stated my two week waiting period was to be from November 28th - December 10th.. meaning the week of the 11th and this week the 18th would be my first two "real" weeks. I've been filing my reports consistantly since I've been laid off..

I checked my MyService account just now and notice that they will be paying me for this week (the 18th) but not for last week.. the reason for last week says "Your benefits have been reduced due to earnings in your waiting period". What does this mean? I haven't earned ANYTHING since my severance and now they want me to wait until the new year to expect a full two weeks? How to they want someone to live?
As I check my reports they "claim" I earned $560 week of Nov 27-Dec 3rd, which would be my waiting period.. how can I tell them I didn't earn anything?

I'm just so frustrated..
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
Msh3ll wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 6:22 pm
Hi again..

Just a brief explanation to remind you..

Laid off October 20th with a 6 week severance.. filed with EI the same day and they stated my two week waiting period was to be from November 28th - December 10th.. meaning the week of the 11th and this week the 18th would be my first two "real" weeks. I've been filing my reports consistantly since I've been laid off..

I checked my MyService account just now and notice that they will be paying me for this week (the 18th) but not for last week.. the reason for last week says "Your benefits have been reduced due to earnings in your waiting period". What does this mean? I haven't earned ANYTHING since my severance and now they want me to wait until the new year to expect a full two weeks? How to they want someone to live?
As I check my reports they "claim" I earned $560 week of Nov 27-Dec 3rd, which would be my waiting period.. how can I tell them I didn't earn anything?

I'm just so frustrated..

Typically it would be the remaining balance from your severance pay. For instance, your severance pay may actually be allocated for 6.5 weeks and the $560 represent the remaining balance. Did you receive any letter about your severance allocation?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
BanjoKen wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 4:37 pm
Hello again, not sure if you remember me, but i Pmed you about my particular case 2 weeks ago, I submitted my ROE in person on Nov 21st, and they still haven't made a decision,
last week I got a letter saying " 876 we are working on your claim. A decision wil be made soon ". Is this an automated letter or are they actually close to making a decision?

I'm not 100% sure but most likely it is an automated letter.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
jjboy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 3:54 pm
Hi

My 1 year contract will end on Feb 28, 2012. Based on my hours worked, I am entitled to 40 weeks of benefits.

I want to do some travelling outside the country before starting my next job search, and want to know how it will affect my benefits. I am aware that when I am out of the country, I am not entitled to any benefits.

Situation A

If I leave Canada immediately on Feb 28 and come back on June 1, will I "lose" the 12 weeks of benefits that I am entitled to? (Only 28 weeks of benefits left)
I understand that I can claim the 40 weeks within a 52 week period. Is there anyway for me to start the claim after I come back?

Situation B

Alternatively, if I leave the country on April 1 and go away for 12 weeks, do I lose the 12 weeks since I was out of the country and that they will pay me beginning on March 15, 2012.( 2 weeks of waiting period)

thanks

It depends when you file your application. You will get 40 weeks if you apply on March 1, but maybe only 32 weeks if you apply on June 1 (since your qualifying period is the most recent 52 weeks within your BPC (Benefit Period Commencement). You have 52 weeks to collect your entitlement.

It's best for you to apply as soon as your contract is done. Prior to leaving Canada, visit your local Service Canada office and report the dates of your departure and return (you probably won't reach an agent at the call centre). You will be disentitled while you are out of Canada, and a letter will be sent to your Canadian address. While you are away, file your biweekly reports declaring unavailable AND out of Canada. This is to keep your claim active despite the fact no benefits will be issued to you. Think of it this way, you have 52 weeks to collect 40 weeks of benefits. So in theory you can spend 10 weeks out of Canada and still collect your full share. (52 weeks-10) = 42 weeks, and first 2 weeks serve as waiting period. (you have to be available for work and be in Canada to serve the WP).
Nov 10, 2011
3 posts
BRAMPTON
Hello. I am currently on E I. I am at the beginning of my claim and just broke my leg. It took almost 2 months to receive my first regular benefit payment. If I start a sickness benefit claim will my payments just continue or will they be disrupted until the new claim is complete. Also how will this affect the length of my claim as i am expected to be in a immobilized for 2 months. Would both regular and sickness benefits be combined to add up to the 42 weeks allowed on my claim or is the sickness added to the 42 weeks? Thanks in advance for your reply.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9728 posts
3580 upvotes
Calgary
nmbr21 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2011 8:39 am
Hello. I am currently on E I. I am at the beginning of my claim and just broke my leg. It took almost 2 months to receive my first regular benefit payment. If I start a sickness benefit claim will my payments just continue or will they be disrupted until the new claim is complete. Also how will this affect the length of my claim as i am expected to be in a immobilized for 2 months. Would both regular and sickness benefits be combined to add up to the 42 weeks allowed on my claim or is the sickness added to the 42 weeks? Thanks in advance for your reply.

You can combine regular+sickness benefits for up to 50 weeks. In your case, you may be entitled to 8 (or 9) weeks of sickness benefits. Submit your medical documentation asap as requested your claim to be switched to sickness from regular.
Nov 10, 2011
3 posts
BRAMPTON
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2011 10:12 am
You can combine regular+sickness benefits for up to 50 weeks. In your case, you may be entitled to 8 (or 9) weeks of sickness benefits. Submit your medical documentation asap as requested your claim to be switched to sickness from regular.

Thanks for the response .Would their be any difference in the amount i am receiving. Also would I continue getting benefits every 2 weeks or will they have to review my sickness claim before I start getting benefits again. What type of documentation would they need. Thanks