Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
pppbigppp wrote:
Nov 10th, 2012 1:55 am
well, my claim is in limbo status.

Here is the thing, as it turns out I dont need any EI afterward. I am already employed and the EI payout date is a week after the start of my new job.

The problem is that I can not clear up my EI status. I had been using the online reporting system to track my activity. It has stop functioning since early October. The login screen would either shows me a notice that says my previous claim is still being processed, or it would ask me to file my activity in the Sep period (I have already done this twice). I suspect the system got mess up when I reported a 1 week out of country travel in Sep.

All I want to do is access the October period, and mark the little checkmark that says I have found employment.

I am not in a hurry or anything, but this is annoying. I work office hour so I don't have time to waste on phone calls (which from my previous experience, never gets pick up)
So call at lunch or before or after work. They have late shifts for people in your situation. I'm assuming you're not working 7am until 9pm every day.
Oct 27, 2010
1 posts
Hi,

I've filed for EI. During the waiting period of 2 weeks I started to work. in my first report I said that I started to work. I didn't receive payment from EI.
How the EI benefits are calculated in case my new job will be terminated before I collect enough working hours. Will they consider previous job working hours?

Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
yigalyi wrote:
Nov 10th, 2012 8:58 pm
Hi,

I've filed for EI. During the waiting period of 2 weeks I started to work. in my first report I said that I started to work. I didn't receive payment from EI.
How the EI benefits are calculated in case my new job will be terminated before I collect enough working hours. Will they consider previous job working hours?

Thanks
So you started full time work? If you new job lays you off, you can reactive your existing claim.
Nov 30, 2011
650 posts
141 upvotes
EDMONTON
Hello, a friend of mine has applied for EI about 4 weeks ago. They are waiting for her ROI from her last job (The city sends it electronically). Anyways she just got a new job and started today and HATES it. She has been reporting for the last 3 weeks and was planning on ending it but now she does not like this job and does not want to continue there! Can she still collect if she leaves this job after only 1 day of work?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
OilersDude wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 1:57 pm
Hello, a friend of mine has applied for EI about 4 weeks ago. They are waiting for her ROI from her last job (The city sends it electronically). Anyways she just got a new job and started today and HATES it. She has been reporting for the last 3 weeks and was planning on ending it but now she does not like this job and does not want to continue there! Can she still collect if she leaves this job after only 1 day of work?
Short answer is that whether she works for an employer for 1 day or 10 years, she has to show just cause. Sorry, in today's climate, she better have some damn good reasons to get just cause. Simply being unsatisfied/unhappy with one's work (which probably applies to 80% of all workers) is not just cause.
Feb 7, 2005
287 posts
Scarborough
hello, i was just wondering if i forgot to complete my EI reports for the past month. i completed them today and i actually start working again today for the same company. Will i still receive my claim for the period of time which i was unemployed in a lump sum amount?? also how do i know if my claim was granted? the service canada site shows the amount i am entitled too and the rate of payment.. this is my first time applying for EI thts why im not sure what i was supposed to do in the first place..

thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
reynold wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 5:58 pm
hello, i was just wondering if i forgot to complete my EI reports for the past month. i completed them today and i actually start working again today for the same company. Will i still receive my claim for the period of time which i was unemployed in a lump sum amount?? also how do i know if my claim was granted? the service canada site shows the amount i am entitled too and the rate of payment.. this is my first time applying for EI thts why im not sure what i was supposed to do in the first place..

thanks!
When you are doing the report, did the website tell you to call the call centre to complete the report? If not then your report is accepted and processed. You have a 4-week window to file your bi weekly reports.
Feb 7, 2005
287 posts
Scarborough
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 6:04 pm
When you are doing the report, did the website tell you to call the call centre to complete the report? If not then your report is accepted and processed. You have a 4-week window to file your bi weekly reports.
no i dont recall seeing anything in regards to calling in. i tried to call in and obviously no answer. i did 3 reports in a row today. Will i still be receiving payments for those weeks? and when should i be seeing the payments roughly?? i havent received anything from them yet, my contract ended sept 9 2012
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
reynold wrote:
Nov 12th, 2012 6:22 pm
no i dont recall seeing anything in regards to calling in. i tried to call in and obviously no answer. i did 3 reports in a row today. Will i still be receiving payments for those weeks? and when should i be seeing the payments roughly?? i havent received anything from them yet, my contract ended sept 9 2012
Yes, if you completed reports you'll receive money (provided your waiting period is served and other monies don't prevent being paid). You should get it on Wednesday if you have direct deposit
Nov 12, 2012
3 posts
Will he get full benefits?

My son has worked steady the last couple of years (pipeline) for several companies... in the last 52 weeks he had:

252 insurable hours for company #1 (hired for a project - code A)
1011 insurable hours for company #2 (was dismissed - code M)
821 insurable hours for company #3 (apprenticeship training - code J - will be recalled when he's done school).

Things did not go well with Company #2 & while I know that he was let go, they also stated that they did not have work for him... but did not bother to issue a ROE to him at all.

He was offered apprenticeship with Company #3 (after he was done with Company #2) & worked 821 hours before attending apprenticeship training at college (he just started at the end of October)... he called Company #2 & asked for a copy of his ROE as he had not received one & explained that he needed to apply for EI while attending college & they told him twice they would fax it to him (but didn't).

After 2 weeks of waiting, I told him to just request the information from Human Resources... and their report indicated that Company #2 had NOT issued him a ROE at all.

So we called Company #2 (again today) & they finally issued his ROE & used "M" dismissed on it (faxed it to him). Dated his ROE today, as well.... not overly impressed, because he honestly wasn't sure what code they would use.

Any ways... he can finally apply for EI benefits tonight. What's going to happen with those 1,011 hours that he worked for the company that dismissed him?

I believe that he will still qualify (1113 hours without Company #2), but I think it was a crappy thing for them to do. Especially as they hadn't bothered to issue him a ROE & held up his claim knowingly for the last 3 weeks.

I'd love to see them fined for not bothering to issue him a ROE (especially as he repeatedly requested it). They likely knew that his hours wouldn't qualify him for EI with the code they were going to use, but it should earn them a $2000.00 fine. Rules should have to be followed by them, as well.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hi. Ive accumulated about 1400 hours and about to get laid off and and MIGHT get rehired in 6 weeks. I am planning not to sign up for EI because if I do get rehired, I will get laid off again in July, which I then will sign up for EI and have accumulated a lot more hours. The thing is, if I dont get rehired after 6 weeks, I will apply for EI. What is the penalty for applying for EI, 6 weeks after you get laid off???
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2062 posts
146 upvotes
extrax wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 10:55 pm
Hi. Ive accumulated about 1400 hours and about to get laid off and and MIGHT get rehired in 6 weeks. I am planning not to sign up for EI because if I do get rehired, I will get laid off again in July, which I then will sign up for EI and have accumulated a lot more hours. The thing is, if I dont get rehired after 6 weeks, I will apply for EI. What is the penalty for applying for EI, 6 weeks after you get laid off???
You lose those weeks of EI payment
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
extrax wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 10:55 pm
There's not much advantage to you not applying. With 1400 hours, you're probably close to the maximum amount of weeks of entitlement already. If you get rehired in 6 weeks, just stop your claim. If you get laid off in July, you can restart that claim and use it until you're out of entitlement weeks or your 52 week benefit period is over. Once either of those are done, and if you're still not working, you can re-apply using the hours you will accumulate between your re-hire date (6 weeks from now), and the end of July. If you work a 35 hour work week from the time period of 6 weeks from now until July, you'll easily have enough hours to qualify for a new claim then.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
stansdaughter wrote:
Nov 13th, 2012 7:50 pm
Will he get full benefits?

My son has worked steady the last couple of years (pipeline) for several companies... in the last 52 weeks he had:

252 insurable hours for company #1 (hired for a project - code A)
1011 insurable hours for company #2 (was dismissed - code M)
821 insurable hours for company #3 (apprenticeship training - code J - will be recalled when he's done school).

Things did not go well with Company #2 & while I know that he was let go, they also stated that they did not have work for him... but did not bother to issue a ROE to him at all.

He was offered apprenticeship with Company #3 (after he was done with Company #2) & worked 821 hours before attending apprenticeship training at college (he just started at the end of October)... he called Company #2 & asked for a copy of his ROE as he had not received one & explained that he needed to apply for EI while attending college & they told him twice they would fax it to him (but didn't).

After 2 weeks of waiting, I told him to just request the information from Human Resources... and their report indicated that Company #2 had NOT issued him a ROE at all.

So we called Company #2 (again today) & they finally issued his ROE & used "M" dismissed on it (faxed it to him). Dated his ROE today, as well.... not overly impressed, because he honestly wasn't sure what code they would use.

Any ways... he can finally apply for EI benefits tonight. What's going to happen with those 1,011 hours that he worked for the company that dismissed him?

I believe that he will still qualify (1113 hours without Company #2), but I think it was a crappy thing for them to do. Especially as they hadn't bothered to issue him a ROE & held up his claim knowingly for the last 3 weeks.

I'd love to see them fined for not bothering to issue him a ROE (especially as he repeatedly requested it). They likely knew that his hours wouldn't qualify him for EI with the code they were going to use, but it should earn them a $2000.00 fine. Rules should have to be followed by them, as well.

Thanks for your thoughts!
So is he still taking an apprenticeship? As in, is he in school right now and wants to collect apprenticeship benefits while in school?

The hours from the job he was dismissed from won't count towards establishing a new claim, you need to have enough hours post-dismissal (disqualifying event) to qualify.

As for the ROE, he didn't need to wait for the ROE to apply. Service Canada needs it to make a decision on the claim, but there was nothing preventing your son from actually applying. Service Canada will initiate a request if the ROE isn't being sent to the employee, but you'd need to make an inquiry there. He has it now, so nothing will come of it at this point.