• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 11:54 pm
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
jenniferparadis2011 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 11:59 am
This thread is wonderful. A lot of my worries have already been eased from reading the responses here, but I have one more issue that is causing me a great deal of anxiety.

This is my first time on EI. I have friends who have had claims in the past, and on their advice I have kept track of most of the places that I have applied to. Now I have been instructed to attend a Claimant Information Session and to bring with me a job search form detailing all of my job search efforts, but I can't remember all of the details that they are asking for like the exact dates and contact numbers (I kept links and job post numbers for the job bank, but I didn't realize that postings expire!). I will start keeping all of these details from here on in. Is it okay for me to make an educated guess of approximately what day I dropped off my resumes or is someone going to call to verify everything? I am terrified that I am going to lose my benefits and be penalized because I don't remember this stuff.

Thank you very much!
Service Canada isn't going to call any employers to find out when and where you applied. Just make a list and add details to the best of your knowledge. Really stressing about nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1551 posts
684 upvotes
Kanada
Hi,

Let's say I find a full time job at a different city and quit my part time job 2-3 weeks before the new job's start date in order to prepare for the relocation (such as moving logistics and searching for a new appartment to rent at the destination city). Am I eligible to continue receiving regular EI benefits during this in between jobs period ?

Thanks
Nov 15, 2012
1 posts
CALGARY
I was recently laid off from my job as a tradesperson and would like to apply for EI. I am renting my old home out (and only breaking even on the cost of the mortgage) and currently living with my girlfriend. I would have lost money by selling the home. Is my rental income considered self-employment income? I only visit the place once every two or three months to inspect and do maintenance. Will this rental income keep me from getting EI?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9792 posts
3700 upvotes
Calgary
SnoopDop wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 11:55 am
Hi,

Let's say I find a full time job at a different city and quit my part time job 2-3 weeks before the new job's start date in order to prepare for the relocation (such as moving logistics and searching for a new appartment to rent at the destination city). Am I eligible to continue receiving regular EI benefits during this in between jobs period ?

Thanks
No. since you are busy moving, you are not available for full time work. On the other hand, if you are laid off from your new job (hopefully not going to happen), you will qualify for EI.
Nov 15, 2012
3 posts
Hi There,
Thanks so much for this! Here is my question. I have read the working while on EI information many times... but am getting mixed messages from ppl on this:

I am receiving the max amount of parental benefits right now. Let's say in one week I earn $3000 self employed income through my business. One time thing. Will it be deducted from my EI benefits (after the allowable earnings and .50 deductions.. yadda yadda) for just that week? Or will it carry on for the next however many weeks until the entire $3000 has been deducted from my benefits - even though I'm not earning anything in those following weeks?

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
Gripp15 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 10:38 pm
Hi There,
Thanks so much for this! Here is my question. I have read the working while on EI information many times... but am getting mixed messages from ppl on this:

I am receiving the max amount of parental benefits right now. Let's say in one week I earn $3000 self employed income through my business. One time thing. Will it be deducted from my EI benefits (after the allowable earnings and .50 deductions.. yadda yadda) for just that week? Or will it carry on for the next however many weeks until the entire $3000 has been deducted from my benefits - even though I'm not earning anything in those following weeks?

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!
It won't carry over to the next weeks, but why would it only be a one time thing? Is it because you'd finally be receiving money from self employment activities you performed over X amount of weeks? Does Service Canada know about your self employment activities, or are you on claim through the benefits for self employed people initiative?
Nov 15, 2012
3 posts
I'm not actually doing any work at the point but have been approached to do the odd consulting contract. It's not $3000 either, just wanted to inflate that number much higher than what you're allowed to make just to make sure my question was clear.

And no, I had a full time job which is what I qualified for EI on, I just do the odd consulting job on top.
Nov 15, 2012
3 posts
Ps. Thanks for your time, I appreciate the input! Just wanted to make sure it actually makes sense for me to do some work.. but if it was all for nothing, then I wouldn't!
Jul 14, 2005
18 posts
One question:
If someone got laid off, and his employer paid him severance package, and also will provide some funding if he started his own business.
Let's say he got 30 weeks of severance package and he started his small business and got some $5000 funding from his former employer, however, his business was not very successful, he didn't earn profit after the expense during that period of time..
Will he still eligible to receive EI after waiting period (30 weeks) is over?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1370 posts
143 upvotes
U
Say I finished my military contract of 4 years and technically I can't get EI because I didn't get laid off technically.. just finished a contract..
Could I just get another job afterwards and get laid off by them?
I heard unemployment pays for 50% of whatever course you want and they'll have to keep on paying me till that course is done.. is that correct?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
jeremyhalifax88 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 8:51 am
Say I finished my military contract of 4 years and technically I can't get EI because I didn't get laid off technically.. just finished a contract..
Could I just get another job afterwards and get laid off by them?
I heard unemployment pays for 50% of whatever course you want and they'll have to keep on paying me till that course is done.. is that correct?

Thanks.
Since your contract is done you could collect, assuming you have the hours and were paying into ei. Not sure where you heard the training thing, definitely not right
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
William Q wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 8:13 am
One question:
If someone got laid off, and his employer paid him severance package, and also will provide some funding if he started his own business.
Let's say he got 30 weeks of severance package and he started his small business and got some $5000 funding from his former employer, however, his business was not very successful, he didn't earn profit after the expense during that period of time..
Will he still eligible to receive EI after waiting period (30 weeks) is over?
Yes, provided you're looking for full time work. Was the $5000 just out of the goodness of their heart?
Aug 25, 2012
25 posts
Pickering
Hi there,

I am currenty on ei regular benefits. I have been working 16 hrs in a part time job as a remote agent for a marketing company from home. Unfortunatley my computer has broken down and the cost to repair it is far beyond what i can afford right now. I have a tablet but require a computer in order to do this job. So i plan to resign from this position, however, in the meantime luckily i did happen to get a new part-time job that pays 3x more than what i was making in the original part-time job. I start the new part-time job Nov 26, so there will be a 1 week lag where i am not working. Will my ei benefits be interrupted as a result? I had to resign thru no fault of my own the 1st part-time because of my broken computer, but luckily i am able to find a new one that pays far more and has better potential of going full-time. Do i need to phone ei to tell them the situation?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1370 posts
143 upvotes
U
clseea wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 11:23 am
Since your contract is done you could collect, assuming you have the hours and were paying into ei. Not sure where you heard the training thing, definitely not right
How could I collect? Because my contract is over doesn't mean I am laid off necessarily does it? Also doesn't EI offer to pay for half your course and continue paying you while doing that course?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
jeremyhalifax88 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 9:40 pm
How could I collect? Because my contract is over doesn't mean I am laid off necessarily does it? Also doesn't EI offer to pay for half your course and continue paying you while doing that course?
You don't need to be laid off to collect. Your contract is finished, just like a temporary position. I don't know where you heard about the training part, but it's not accurate. You can get approval to collect EI and take courses, but they don't pay for your courses. You can attend 9 hours of class without affecting your claim. Again, not sure where you heard that but it's not right

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)