Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 11:45 am
Nov 13, 2012
3 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi,

I am currently on EI now. Im wondering is it okay for me to go to US on sat and return back to Canada on sun. Do i have to report? will it affect my EI?

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3598 posts
238 upvotes
keekee404 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 9:58 am
Hi,

I am currently on EI now. Im wondering is it okay for me to go to US on sat and return back to Canada on sun. Do i have to report? will it affect my EI?

Thanks,
yes. no. no
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1353 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I have been laid off on Oct 25 and I have a couple of questions:
- I haven't received the ROE yet (asked for it but no answers in 5 weeks). Can I apply for for EI without ROE?
- The letter of termination mentions a lump sum payment for a number of weeks notice of termination. The payment has not been made yet, but considering that it will be made at the end of the year, it will come with a high aditional tax liability. The former employer refuses to go with a salary continuanace or with two payments, one this year for 2012 notice days and another one in next year for 2013 notice days. Can the EI government people help me in any way? Or maybe some other government services?
- I haven't been paid for the last worked 12 days, vacation and overtime credits. What can I do to recover this money?

I apologize if some of the questions are not really EI releated.

Thank you.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9793 posts
3701 upvotes
Calgary
andrew4321 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 1:57 pm
Hi,

I have been laid off on Oct 25 and I have a couple of questions:
- I haven't received the ROE yet (asked for it but no answers in 5 weeks). Can I apply for for EI without ROE?
- The letter of termination mentions a lump sum payment for a number of weeks notice of termination. The payment has not been made yet, but considering that it will be made at the end of the year, it will come with a high aditional tax liability. The former employer refuses to go with a salary continuanace or with two payments, one this year for 2012 notice days and another one in next year for 2013 notice days. Can the EI government people help me in any way? Or maybe some other government services?
- I haven't been paid for the last worked 12 days, vacation and overtime credits. What can I do to recover this money?

I apologize if some of the questions are not really EI releated.

Thank you.
1) Apply right away, even without a ROE.
2) No.
3) Contact Ontario Ministry of Labour. It's a provincial matter, not EI.
Nov 13, 2012
3 posts
SCARBOROUGH
What will happen if I return to canada on early monday, let say 6 am? will it affect my EI? require me to report?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9793 posts
3701 upvotes
Calgary
keekee404 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 2:57 pm
What will happen if I return to canada on early monday, let say 6 am? will it affect my EI? require me to report?
In that case you will have to report it, but it will be allowed.
Nov 13, 2012
3 posts
SCARBOROUGH
When you said allow, what does that mean? Will my EI case get investigate later on? will my benefit be suspended till further notice?
Nov 25, 2012
2 posts
CALGARY
As a self employed person who incorporated a small business in Sept am I eligible for maternity benefits? I didn't think so but someone mentioned I may be. I would have the hours but have not paid the EI. Can I back date or not?
Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
85 upvotes
This question is for brother not me so I may be missing details.

He was laid off in August, Severence till End of October and is now on EI. He was at his job for about 2 years. He has an offer from a friend of mine for a short term 5 week position as a contractor.
-I assume he will lose his EI for the 5 weeks of work, but what happens in January when he is unemployed again?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
Elmtree1 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 3:53 pm
As a self employed person who incorporated a small business in Sept am I eligible for maternity benefits? I didn't think so but someone mentioned I may be. I would have the hours but have not paid the EI. Can I back date or not?
Thanks.
Not unless you signed up for the self employment initiative. With that, you need to contribute for at least a year prior to being eligible

See here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/e ... ndex.shtml
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
ddp wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 3:58 pm
This question is for brother not me so I may be missing details.

He was laid off in August, Severence till End of October and is now on EI. He was at his job for about 2 years. He has an offer from a friend of mine for a short term 5 week position as a contractor.
-I assume he will lose his EI for the 5 weeks of work, but what happens in January when he is unemployed again?
Just get him to report the work and money for those 5 weeks. He won't be paid during that time and will resume getting paid after the 5 weeks. I wouldn't declare "Full time work" on the reports since it's only for 5 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
keekee404 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2012 3:23 pm
When you said allow, what does that mean? Will my EI case get investigate later on? will my benefit be suspended till further notice?
He meant it won't affect your claim since you'll be returning so early in the day. You need to report it since you're technically out of Canada during a weekday, but you're returning early enough in the a.m. that you're still available for full time work (I assume)

EI shouldn't investigate it and your claim shouldn't be suspended
Nov 25, 2012
3 posts
CLARENVILLE
I just took a new job and have relocated from one province to another. My wife works at walmart in the evening after I return from work so I can watch the children. See got a leave from walmart so she can watch our children and make arrangement for everyone to move up after the holidays. When she applied she was told that she didnt qualify because she is not available for work now. when she moves she will be able to transfer to the walmart in our new area, that is why she got the leave instead of quitting.

I don't understand why she would be told she does not qualify. I am hoping you can provide some insight.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

clseea