[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
jpbwright wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 7:44 pm
clseeam thank you for your response,

during the course of our conversation, during which she leading up to the 'your fired' i told her that if it made things easier, I would resign, i offered my letter, she said no it didnt matter, things hadnt worked out, we tried to be amicable, we shook hands, i cleared out my stuff and left. she knew i was stressed, but under the circumstances, there was nothing that could be done, i was hired for one purpose, and a lighter work load was not possible. does any of this matter

thank you again
Just explain your situation, and your claim should be allowed without any issue. It's one of the instances in which you are not a suitable fit for the job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
jpbwright wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 7:44 pm
clseeam thank you for your response,

during the course of our conversation, during which she leading up to the 'your fired' i told her that if it made things easier, I would resign, i offered my letter, she said no it didnt matter, things hadnt worked out, we tried to be amicable, we shook hands, i cleared out my stuff and left. she knew i was stressed, but under the circumstances, there was nothing that could be done, i was hired for one purpose, and a lighter work load was not possible. does any of this matter

thank you again
It seems it's kind of a he said/she said situation. It also seems the only remedy you pursued was speaking to your doctor. To me it's not clear cut, so I'd need the employer's story to come to a conclusion. It doesn't seem like you were fired for wilful misconduct... but it also doesn't really seem like you were fired in general
Nov 30, 2012
1 posts
VANCOUVER
I was recently dismissed from my job for 2 years due to performance issues, however the boss gave me the option to resign. Even if I dont resign, they will still terminate me as I got a notice period ending my employment which I put the resignation letter in on the last day of my notice period. I applied for EI however the EI application doesn't ask too much as to the circumstance. It is mainly a quick tick box. Will I still qualify for EI?
Mar 26, 2011
2 posts
Here's my situation: been working as a financial controller for a company for about 4 years. Only good reviews since I've started including, yearly salary increases(substantial in some cases) and increasing bonus amounts. The situation now is that for the past 3 months we have been going through a merger/acquisition due diligence process, and I simply can't continue because of the stress. I assume this would be considered a 'burn out', however, if i quit it wouldn't allow me to collect EI. Is this correct? Another note, I've been speaking to a psychoanalyst for the past few months who has been helping me cope with the situation, which I have records for. Also my HR and Directors are well aware of the stress(but not to the full extent).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
teligent wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 5:40 am
I was recently dismissed from my job for 2 years due to performance issues, however the boss gave me the option to resign. Even if I dont resign, they will still terminate me as I got a notice period ending my employment which I put the resignation letter in on the last day of my notice period. I applied for EI however the EI application doesn't ask too much as to the circumstance. It is mainly a quick tick box. Will I still qualify for EI?
Not enough details. What kind of performance issues are you talking about and what steps did the employer take prior to the termination notice?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
snowbirdmtl wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 7:44 am
Here's my situation: been working as a financial controller for a company for about 4 years. Only good reviews since I've started including, yearly salary increases(substantial in some cases) and increasing bonus amounts. The situation now is that for the past 3 months we have been going through a merger/acquisition due diligence process, and I simply can't continue because of the stress. I assume this would be considered a 'burn out', however, if i quit it wouldn't allow me to collect EI. Is this correct? Another note, I've been speaking to a psychoanalyst for the past few months who has been helping me cope with the situation, which I have records for. Also my HR and Directors are well aware of the stress(but not to the full extent).
You need to exhaust all reasonable alternatives first, such as taking a leave of absence, switching roles etc. If a doctor recommends you quit and you've explored and exhausted all reasonable alternatives you shouldn't have an issue
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 8:20 am
Not enough details. What kind of performance issues are you talking about and what steps did the employer take prior to the termination notice?
Probably he is unable to meet the job expectation, and frequently the employer will give employee the option to resign rather than dismissed outright. If it's for cause, usually it's outright dismissal.

teligent, being asked to resign by the employer is the same as dismissal; they initiate the separation of the employment. If you're unable to meet the expectation or sales quota, you will qualify EI.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 1:12 pm
Probably he is unable to meet the job expectation, and frequently the employer will give employee the option to resign rather than dismissed outright. If it's for cause, usually it's outright dismissal.

teligent, being asked to resign by the employer is the same as dismissal; they initiate the separation of the employment. If you're unable to meet the expectation or sales quota, you will qualify EI.
Ya you're probably right
Nov 4, 2012
98 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, I have been laid-off and I applied for EI. Submitted application in first week after my last day. I got the PIN number and today I submitted my 2nd online report.
Can someone please tell me what-the-heck is this online reporting for when my account doesn't even show that I have been approved for EI or not.
And secondly, how long does it take to approve someone? When we are paying them, we don't have a choice, but when we are asking back for it, they have a stick up theirs.
Dec 2, 2012
2 posts
Edmonton
I am thinking about temporarily suspending my job search for 2 weeks. I just want to take some personal time off.

How do I go about this? Of course I will report that I was not available at the end of this 2 week reporting period. I fully understand and accept that this will result in a disentitlement of benefits.

I assume I will need to provide a reason, and can I just say "personal time" or "personal reasons", or something like that?

Anything else I need to know?
Dec 2, 2012
2 posts
Edmonton
Suppose one has been job searching and collecting benefits for a few weeks, but then decides to terminate their job search indefinitely, and forego any benefits. Is there a way to do this?

And does this call into doubt the clamant's previous intent to find employment? (I don't see why it should. Seems reasonable to me that someone could be interested in finding work, then change their minds at a later date).
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
rkd2999 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:39 pm
I am thinking about temporarily suspending my job search for 2 weeks. I just want to take some personal time off.

How do I go about this? Of course I will report that I was not available at the end of this 2 week reporting period. I fully understand and accept that this will result in a disentitlement of benefits.

I assume I will need to provide a reason, and can I just say "personal time" or "personal reasons", or something like that?

Anything else I need to know?
You don't need to provide explanations, just declare # of days you are unavailable in your reports. I don't think they will ask additional question.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
rkd2999 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 2:55 pm
Suppose one has been job searching and collecting benefits for a few weeks, but then decides to terminate their job search indefinitely, and forego any benefits. Is there a way to do this?

And does this call into doubt the clamant's previous intent to find employment? (I don't see why it should. Seems reasonable to me that someone could be interested in finding work, then change their minds at a later date).
They can request to terminate their claim. I doubt anyone will look into their previous job search efforts.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
intellix wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 1:09 pm
Ok, I have been laid-off and I applied for EI. Submitted application in first week after my last day. I got the PIN number and today I submitted my 2nd online report.
Can someone please tell me what-the-heck is this online reporting for when my account doesn't even show that I have been approved for EI or not.
And secondly, how long does it take to approve someone? When we are paying them, we don't have a choice, but when we are asking back for it, they have a stick up theirs.
You do realize you only get paid after you submit the biweekly reports, right? Once your claim is approved, your report is up to date and you will be paid accordingly.

It takes a long time to process EI claims if it requires human intervention. Arithmetic: budget cut + staff layoffs = long processing time + heavy backlog. If you voted for Conservatives in the last election, you are getting exactly what you voted for. If you didn't vote for them, well, complain to your MP.
Nov 4, 2012
98 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 3:23 pm
You do realize you only get paid after you submit the biweekly reports, right? Once your claim is approved, your report is up to date and you will be paid accordingly.

It takes a long time to process EI claims if it requires human intervention. Arithmetic: budget cut + staff layoffs = long processing time + heavy backlog. If you voted for Conservatives in the last election, you are getting exactly what you voted for. If you didn't vote for them, well, complain to your MP.
Thanks for replying.
So if I am doing my reports regularly but I have not received anything in my bank account. Is this normal? I submitted 2 reports so far but I haven't gotten any deposits.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)