Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8697 posts
1547 upvotes
Edmonton
intellix wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 6:08 pm
Thanks for replying.
So if I am doing my reports regularly but I have not received anything in my bank account. Is this normal? I submitted 2 reports so far but I haven't gotten any deposits.
You won't get paid until a decision is rendered on your claim. You need to do reports while EI processes your application so that once (if) the claim is approved, you'll be paid for the reports you've completed. The approval process should take 28 days, but like b166er1337 said, there is usually a heavy backlog. It's "normal" for the approval process to take closer to 40 days.
Nov 4, 2012
98 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 7:20 pm
You won't get paid until a decision is rendered on your claim. You need to do reports while EI processes your application so that once (if) the claim is approved, you'll be paid for the reports you've completed. The approval process should take 28 days, but like b166er1337 said, there is usually a heavy backlog. It's "normal" for the approval process to take closer to 40 days.
Thanks, that clears up quite a bit. I wasn't sure why I was submitting reports when I am not approved but now its clear.
How will they select who they approve? How do they know I am looking for a job right now?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9965 posts
3945 upvotes
Calgary
intellix wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 4:46 pm
Thanks, that clears up quite a bit. I wasn't sure why I was submitting reports when I am not approved but now its clear.
How will they select who they approve? How do they know I am looking for a job right now?
They asked you whether you are able, willing and capable of working, and it implies genuine job search effort. They conduct random audits so you need to have a list of jobs you applied just in case you are selected.

They don't select who to approve. For those who fit under the qualifying parameter, they will be approved; for those who fall outside of this parameter, they get denied. And of course, there are cases that can go either way, depending on numerous factors.
Nov 4, 2012
98 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 4:54 pm
They asked you whether you are able, willing and capable of working, and it implies genuine job search effort. They conduct random audits so you need to have a list of jobs you applied just in case you are selected.

They don't select who to approve. For those who fit under the qualifying parameter, they will be approved; for those who fall outside of this parameter, they get denied. And of course, there are cases that can go either way, depending on numerous factors.
Thanks, b166er1337. :)
Nov 10, 2012
202 posts
106 upvotes
BRAMPTON
If you have been a full time student for the past 2 years and graduated in May, then worked a contract job that ended in Nov 30 and only have 700 hours in could you still qualify for EI? I am thinking that they would be a new entrant and would need 910 hours but I'm wondering if there are any loopholes.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9965 posts
3945 upvotes
Calgary
sistereliza wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 7:32 pm
If you have been a full time student for the past 2 years and graduated in May, then worked a contract job that ended in Nov 30 and only have 700 hours in could you still qualify for EI? I am thinking that they would be a new entrant and would need 910 hours but I'm wondering if there are any loopholes.
No loophole as you need 910 hours for new entrants.
May 24, 2012
85 posts
2 upvotes
Saskatoon
Can I qualify for Saskatchewan Employment Supplement while my only income is EI.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8697 posts
1547 upvotes
Edmonton
colorfulpoet wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 10:46 pm
Can I qualify for Saskatchewan Employment Supplement while my only income is EI.
That's a provincial program, so you'd have to contact them
Dec 4, 2012
2 posts
PETERBOROUGH
Hi B166er1337,
Not sure if this is how I post a question, however, here goes:
Just a simple question really.
I am currently on maternity leave and receiving pregnancy/parental benefits for the entire 52wks, Just regarding statutory holidays:
One of my direct deposit payments is scheduled for Tues Jan 1st 2013... Will I receive the payment the day before or the day after New Years day?
(Sorry I searched the site and googled like crazy, also called but could not get transferred due to high call volume, couldn't locate the answer specifically :)
Appreciate your help!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9965 posts
3945 upvotes
Calgary
kmessenger wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 1:49 pm
Hi B166er1337,
Not sure if this is how I post a question, however, here goes:
Just a simple question really.
I am currently on maternity leave and receiving pregnancy/parental benefits for the entire 52wks, Just regarding statutory holidays:
One of my direct deposit payments is scheduled for Tues Jan 1st 2013... Will I receive the payment the day before or the day after New Years day?
(Sorry I searched the site and googled like crazy, also called but could not get transferred due to high call volume, couldn't locate the answer specifically :)
Appreciate your help!
Stat holidays usually push the pay day back one day.
Dec 5, 2012
1 posts
Hi, quick question.

I was laid off from my job in July 2011. I had no trouble getting EI and then eventually I got my entitled lost wages with the Wage Earners protection program. Now my EI ended in Jan/Feb 2012 and I rec'd the WEP in Feb for wages that I wasn't paid in June/July 2011. I ended up getting a position with my Step-dad's company helping out in the office in March. Now I've just had a baby and applied for maternity. I had two questions.

1) the application asked me if I was related to my employer. What purpose does this serve? Of course I didn't lie but does it lower my chances of getting maternity because he's my step father?
2) Because I recently rec'd WEP and EI benefits before getting this job will that also effect my chances of getting maternity benefits?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9965 posts
3945 upvotes
Calgary
kahlan83 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 2:19 am
Hi, quick question.

I was laid off from my job in July 2011. I had no trouble getting EI and then eventually I got my entitled lost wages with the Wage Earners protection program. Now my EI ended in Jan/Feb 2012 and I rec'd the WEP in Feb for wages that I wasn't paid in June/July 2011. I ended up getting a position with my Step-dad's company helping out in the office in March. Now I've just had a baby and applied for maternity. I had two questions.

1) the application asked me if I was related to my employer. What purpose does this serve? Of course I didn't lie but does it lower my chances of getting maternity because he's my step father?
2) Because I recently rec'd WEP and EI benefits before getting this job will that also effect my chances of getting maternity benefits?

1) Arm's length - Service Canada & CRA will rule whether this employment is considered insurable or not. They will ask you a few questions, and then determine whether you're treated as any other unrelated employee. The last thing the government needs is a bunch of people setting up fake companies and start issuing ROEs to their relatives and claim EI. Don't stress out as this situation is quite common.

2) If it's deemed that your step father and you kept arm's length for this job, and you have enough hours, I don't see any issue for you claiming maternity and parental benefits.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Badly need help.

I am on EI and want to pusue a 2-3 months course to get a stable job. Now I don't qualify for Second career because of my code on ROE. So, is there any way to get approval from EI people so that they don't stop my EI? I know that you have to be available for work from Monday through Friday blah blah... I mean something like I can show them that this career is in high demand or take classess on weekend. Has anybody had a similar situaltion? Please advice.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8697 posts
1547 upvotes
Edmonton
windywalks wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:17 pm
Badly need help.

I am on EI and want to pusue a 2-3 months course to get a stable job. Now I don't qualify for Second career because of my code on ROE. So, is there any way to get approval from EI people so that they don't stop my EI? I know that you have to be available for work from Monday through Friday blah blah... I mean something like I can show them that this career is in high demand or take classess on weekend. Has anybody had a similar situaltion? Please advice.
The classes are only on the weekend? If so, this won't affect your EI. Also, if your classes take up less than 10 hours there won't be any problem. If you can show you're still available for full time work, you shouldn't have much of a problem, especially if it's less than 10 hours or on the weekend
Dec 6, 2012
4 posts
Hamilton
Question regarding training.

I had taken a 3 month training course while on EI but was not paid during those 3 months. Is that money now gone? Or will I get an extension on my EI?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)