Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 9:17 pm
Jun 14, 2009
5 posts
hi
thank you for the help u providing here .HERE is my situation
i work for the company for long years got laid off in july 2012 file the ei and started then after couple month they call bak and i went back to work
but i dint close the file since i know i will get soon laid off again so i was filling the report as usual until oct30 and got laid off with the same reason code A but told me verbally that u wont get called so take ur pakage know or with in one year from know .so i dicided to take it next year 2013 but my ei continue .but what i heard is after collecting pakage ei asked to pay back. so how does it work.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Just curious, I hope the EI guidelines are the same for Alberta and Ontario.
clseea wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 11:43 pm
The classes are only on the weekend? If so, this won't affect your EI. Also, if your classes take up less than 10 hours there won't be any problem. If you can show you're still available for full time work, you shouldn't have much of a problem, especially if it's less than 10 hours or on the weekend
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9956 posts
3928 upvotes
Calgary
nahaq wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 9:52 am
hi
thank you for the help u providing here .HERE is my situation
i work for the company for long years got laid off in july 2012 file the ei and started then after couple month they call bak and i went back to work
but i dint close the file since i know i will get soon laid off again so i was filling the report as usual until oct30 and got laid off with the same reason code A but told me verbally that u wont get called so take ur pakage know or with in one year from know .so i dicided to take it next year 2013 but my ei continue .but what i heard is after collecting pakage ei asked to pay back. so how does it work.
Approximately how many weeks of pay is the package?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9956 posts
3928 upvotes
Calgary
windywalks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 10:10 am
yes.
Oct 18, 2012
133 posts
3 upvotes
GTA
Did you get in touch with EI people after 3 months? I mean, did they reactivate your same claim or what happened after 3 months?
bluebody wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 9:27 am
Question regarding training.

I had taken a 3 month training course while on EI but was not paid during those 3 months. Is that money now gone? Or will I get an extension on my EI?
Dec 6, 2012
3 posts
Question regarding overpayment before parental leave

I had taken parental leave of absences since my first child was born in 2009 starting August 3, 2009. I got a letter from Service Canada that I received vacation pay from my employer from June 28, 2009 to end of July 2009 but did not disclose this amount to them. I don't remember signing any document saying that I made no money during the June to July time period. I thought that was what the employer reported as part of the ROE. I requested copies of my ROE which shows that i was indeed paid during the time period from June to July. My question is: Since my parental leave did not start since August 3rd why is service canada hounding me for this? Also since i do not remember signing any thing saying that i did not make any money during the time period of June to July how can i get this resolved? What is the best way to respond to Service Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8688 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
bluebody wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 9:27 am
Question regarding training.

I had taken a 3 month training course while on EI but was not paid during those 3 months. Is that money now gone? Or will I get an extension on my EI?
No, you don't get an extension
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8688 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
windywalks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 10:10 am
Yes, EI is federal
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8688 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
foxnitinkhanna wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 12:48 pm
Question regarding overpayment before parental leave

I had taken parental leave of absences since my first child was born in 2009 starting August 3, 2009. I got a letter from Service Canada that I received vacation pay from my employer from June 28, 2009 to end of July 2009 but did not disclose this amount to them. I don't remember signing any document saying that I made no money during the June to July time period. I thought that was what the employer reported as part of the ROE. I requested copies of my ROE which shows that i was indeed paid during the time period from June to July. My question is: Since my parental leave did not start since August 3rd why is service canada hounding me for this? Also since i do not remember signing any thing saying that i did not make any money during the time period of June to July how can i get this resolved? What is the best way to respond to Service Canada.
So they're questioning you about money you received prior to receiving any EI benefits?
Dec 6, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
Plz Advise

Hi ,
I have applied for both Regular and Maternity+Parental benefit and my insurable hours will be around 1000 hrs. I understand that the combined benefit of Maternity+Parental benefit will be for 15+35=50 weeks. In this case what will happen to my regular benefit? Will I get that benefit too? So will I get benefits for 50+52 weeks? I mean, will I be continue getting my regular benefits after 50 weeks of my maternity+ parental benefit? Please let me know..
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9956 posts
3928 upvotes
Calgary
janani wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:25 pm
Plz Advise

Hi ,
I have applied for both Regular and Maternity+Parental benefit and my insurable hours will be around 1000 hrs. I understand that the combined benefit of Maternity+Parental benefit will be for 15+35=50 weeks. In this case what will happen to my regular benefit? Will I get that benefit too? So will I get benefits for 50+52 weeks? I mean, will I be continue getting my regular benefits after 50 weeks of my maternity+ parental benefit? Please let me know..
The real question is, are you available for work now? When are you due?

The most benefit you will get is potentially 65 weeks (sickness+maternal+parental). Most likely you will get 50 weeks, which is the maximum for most people.
Dec 6, 2012
3 posts
foxnitinkhanna wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:27 pm
Yes
I did and they said that i was supposed to disclose that i received vacation pay prior to receiving EI. What is my best course of action? Do i respond to the letter saying that yes i received the vacation and did not disclose it, but that sounds like i ma doing something wrong. What is the rule? I am really curious as to how did this even happen?
Dec 6, 2012
2 posts
VANCOUVER
I just wanted to thank all of you for your answers it is easier than trying to navigate the government pages. I was laid off in September and have been actively looking for work since. I received a letter saying I am to attend a group session with all of my applied for jobs. I have been actively searching but was not aware that I need to be applying for 5 a week. I have been applying for all relevant jobs in my area. What can I expect from this session?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)