• Jul 19th, 2019 12:38 am
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
foxnitinkhanna wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 12:48 pm
Question regarding overpayment before parental leave

I had taken parental leave of absences since my first child was born in 2009 starting August 3, 2009. I got a letter from Service Canada that I received vacation pay from my employer from June 28, 2009 to end of July 2009 but did not disclose this amount to them. I don't remember signing any document saying that I made no money during the June to July time period. I thought that was what the employer reported as part of the ROE. I requested copies of my ROE which shows that i was indeed paid during the time period from June to July. My question is: Since my parental leave did not start since August 3rd why is service canada hounding me for this? Also since i do not remember signing any thing saying that i did not make any money during the time period of June to July how can i get this resolved? What is the best way to respond to Service Canada.
What was your last day worked prior to receiving parental benefits? Also on the application form it would of asked "Do you have other monies to declare" or did you receive separations monies. Also if it was listed on your ROE - i'm not sure why they are asking you about it now. Not enough details to answer this question - call Service Canada.

When you speak to them you need to ask - For what weeks did you recieve your first payments for -and what your last day work was. Because if your payments started August 3 2009, and you got vacation pay from June-July 2009 and this was listed on your ROE - doesn't make sense why it's being questioned.
Dec 6, 2012
2 posts
VANCOUVER
I was laid off in September and have been actively looking for work since. I received a letter to attend a group session next week, saying that I need to bring a list of all jobs applied for since the beginning of ei. I have been actively searching but did not realize I needed to apply for 5 a week. I have applied for quite a few but not 5 a week average. What can I expect to come from this session? I am pretty nervous about this being almost Christmas cannot afford to lose my benefits at the moment.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9788 posts
3694 upvotes
Calgary
machino wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 4:17 pm
I just wanted to thank all of you for your answers it is easier than trying to navigate the government pages. I was laid off in September and have been actively looking for work since. I received a letter saying I am to attend a group session with all of my applied for jobs. I have been actively searching but was not aware that I need to be applying for 5 a week. I have been applying for all relevant jobs in my area. What can I expect from this session?
There is no rule that you have to apply min. 5 jobs a week. Show them your job search results and you should be fine.
Jun 14, 2009
5 posts
sorry for getting back so late i think its approx. 4 month since i dint get it yet i dont know but its about that
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 10:17 am
Approximately how many weeks of pay is the package?
Oct 25, 2012
3 posts
Question about EI:
Got laid off in OCT. and I am working as a contractor with another company (the employer didn't ask me sign any paper, so I don't know how long they gonna keep me, probably the end of Jan. ). After I got this contractor job, I did report to EI about it. And now I am planning to visit my parents in Feb. (outside of CANADA). My question is if I am still eligible to get EI payment during the time I am outside of CANADA. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8553 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
careerABC wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 9:29 pm
Question about EI:
Got laid off in OCT. and I am working as a contractor with another company (the employer didn't ask me sign any paper, so I don't know how long they gonna keep me, probably the end of Jan. ). After I got this contractor job, I did report to EI about it. And now I am planning to visit my parents in Feb. (outside of CANADA). My question is if I am still eligible to get EI payment during the time I am outside of CANADA. Thanks.
No, you can't collect EI if you're going on a vacation lol
Dec 6, 2012
4 posts
Hamilton
windywalks wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 11:50 am
Did you get in touch with EI people after 3 months? I mean, did they reactivate your same claim or what happened after 3 months?

As it's very hard to get through on the phone, the last time I spoke with someone (about a month ago), they let me know I wasn't going to be receiving while in school but that I would then start to receive it after the semester was over. I've continuously been sending in my reports to verify that I've been in school and it's all on one claim.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7849 posts
1897 upvotes
Mississauga
Am I able to cancel my EI claim online? If yes, how do I go about doing that?
Or do I have to cancel by phoning in?

Thanks.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8553 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Raggie wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 6:11 pm
Am I able to cancel my EI claim online? If yes, how do I go about doing that?
Or do I have to cancel by phoning in?

Thanks.
Cancel it for what reason? If it's because you found full time work, just declare that on your report.
Dec 8, 2012
2 posts
WINNIPEG
Hi i am a question,i collected enough hours for my ei clain,i quit my job for about 3weeks because of a death in the family,but i didn't bother telling my boss anything,i got my ROE n it says i quit,but i went to talk it out with my boss to let me work again then lay me off,it worked,i went back to work for 14days then got laid off i work seasonal,then i filed for my EI wondering can i still colllect my EI cuz of this? or are they gonna give me hard time?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8553 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
weedapix wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:12 pm
Hi i am a question,i collected enough hours for my ei clain,i quit my job for about 3weeks because of a death in the family,but i didn't bother telling my boss anything,i got my ROE n it says i quit,but i went to talk it out with my boss to let me work again then lay me off,it worked,i went back to work for 14days then got laid off i work seasonal,then i filed for my EI wondering can i still colllect my EI cuz of this? or are they gonna give me hard time?
So you just abandoned your job, then came back, then your boss agreed to lay you off?
Dec 8, 2012
2 posts
WINNIPEG
well yes,and i am seasonal i thought i was done my job,but my ROE doesn't say that,so my boss agreed to hiring me back for 14days,then get a new ROE saying shortage of work,end of contract.i am just curious,if i will have any problems claiming my EI cuz of my absence
Dec 9, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO
Hi there

I worked for a company for over a year. Without any written or verbal warning my employer dismissed me with severance pay. This was in mid October. My severance was for two weeks vacation the. 3 weeks severance. There was no reason given on why I was dismissed. I was a dedicated employee who had won awards from the previous year.
My previous employer took forever to send the roe over then also placed code K in the box with no explanation.
My record was submitted by me Nov 1st. I have called 6 times and my previous employer has not called service canada back at all as there were no comments made in the comment section
I was told service canada would take 8 business days then a decision will hopefully be made.
I just called and have to wait another two days before someone calls. I never received a first call.
I am terrified how long this will take my bills are starting to pile up.
This job was at no fault of my own and I have filed my claims on time and am actively searching for work

Does the employer get any fine for not responding to ei? This means basically they have the right to wrongfully dismiss an employee with no just cause? will I be waiting much longer? ....scared...
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
simplysaid077 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 9:13 am
Hi there

I worked for a company for over a year. Without any written or verbal warning my employer dismissed me with severance pay. This was in mid October. My severance was for two weeks vacation the. 3 weeks severance. There was no reason given on why I was dismissed. I was a dedicated employee who had won awards from the previous year.
My previous employer took forever to send the roe over then also placed code K in the box with no explanation.
My record was submitted by me Nov 1st. I have called 6 times and my previous employer has not called service canada back at all as there were no comments made in the comment section
I was told service canada would take 8 business days then a decision will hopefully be made.
I just called and have to wait another two days before someone calls. I never received a first call.
I am terrified how long this will take my bills are starting to pile up.
This job was at no fault of my own and I have filed my claims on time and am actively searching for work

Does the employer get any fine for not responding to ei? This means basically they have the right to wrongfully dismiss an employee with no just cause? will I be waiting much longer? ....scared...
Call again and this time say you are in dire financial need (Make sure the rep knows the urgency of the situation). Otherwise you might have to wait for another 2 business days for call back...then another 2 business days if not completed..then so on until it's done. Employer won't get fined but yes sounds like they're being really difficult.
Dec 10, 2012
1 posts
STONEWALL
I got fired due to misconduct and that same day I applied for benefits and decided to go back to school. I wound up getting denied because of being fired due to misconduct and everything. Can I still reapply later once I register for school?