Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 11:54 pm
Dec 10, 2012
1 posts
hi !
I got laid off late august and had a claim going until i started university in october. I am not going to school full time next semester (only one class) and i want to reactivate my claim. Do i have to wait another 28 days for a decision to be made ? Also what if my class nexte semester is on a weekday (monday morning 9:00 to 12:00) will i be penalised on my EI benefit ?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
worker21 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 2:11 am
I got fired due to misconduct and that same day I applied for benefits and decided to go back to school. I wound up getting denied because of being fired due to misconduct and everything. Can I still reapply later once I register for school?
No you got denied benefits already
Aug 30, 2006
58 posts
4 upvotes
Owen Sound
I was hired into a flex pool (sort of on-call basis) at my job in the summer. Was getting full-time hours (or more) for many weeks but suddenly the work has dried up. It'll probably pick up again in a couple months but until then can I collect EI? My pay stubs show I was contributing to it. Thanks.
May 25, 2011
199 posts
47 upvotes
BC
I'm currently working for a contract position. The contract may end in April, or it may be renewed.

I'm thinking of getting a second job, part-time, about 16 hours a week, at a coffee shop. I'm doing this mainly to fill up my evenings, the extra money is just an added bonus.

If I'm laid off in April from my main job, will the 16 hour/week job effect my benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
local448 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 3:39 am
hi !
I got laid off late august and had a claim going until i started university in october. I am not going to school full time next semester (only one class) and i want to reactivate my claim. Do i have to wait another 28 days for a decision to be made ? Also what if my class nexte semester is on a weekday (monday morning 9:00 to 12:00) will i be penalised on my EI benefit ?
Yes you'll probably have to wait because they'll want to review your availability. That being said, you should be fine since you'll only be in school for 3 hours a week. Anything less than 10 hours is fine.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
imbored1169 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 9:04 am
I was hired into a flex pool (sort of on-call basis) at my job in the summer. Was getting full-time hours (or more) for many weeks but suddenly the work has dried up. It'll probably pick up again in a couple months but until then can I collect EI? My pay stubs show I was contributing to it. Thanks.
Yes, provided you have enough hours to qualify
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
worker21 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 2:11 am
I got fired due to misconduct and that same day I applied for benefits and decided to go back to school. I wound up getting denied because of being fired due to misconduct and everything. Can I still reapply later once I register for school?
To add to Wilmega's comment.... you're in school, so you won't be available for work regardless.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
TylerK wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 12:12 pm
I'm currently working for a contract position. The contract may end in April, or it may be renewed.

I'm thinking of getting a second job, part-time, about 16 hours a week, at a coffee shop. I'm doing this mainly to fill up my evenings, the extra money is just an added bonus.

If I'm laid off in April from my main job, will the 16 hour/week job effect my benefits?
Yes, read here:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/i ... /wwc.shtml

and here:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/c ... ndex.shtml
Dec 6, 2012
4 posts
Hamilton
Still need help...

I lost my job, went on EI, decided to take a training course which I was declined for receiving benefits while in training. I got a random call one afternoon, who I thought wasn't very clear during conversation, (might have been heavy accent), told me that I was not available even though I was but I wasn't going to argue when I only had 1 month of school left. He didn't give me any details, just that I wasn't available and wouldn't be receiving which I then asked if I could receive after it was done and he said, "yes". I had still been sending in my reports, every 2 weeks to say that I was in school. I didn't really question all of this at the time because I'm the type of person who thinks I'm lucky to receive anything.

I am now done school and I am curious what now happens with that money. This is all on one claim, it was never stopped. On my account it says full 100% deduction of what I would normally recieve, so all through school it's $0. Is that money now just gone? Or can I get an extension since I wasn't receiving money for 3 months? I've tried calling daily, it's so hard, you really have to redial every minute for an hour to get the chance to be on hold. I'm now desperate for information. Please help :( .
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
bluebody wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 3:14 pm
Still need help...

I lost my job, went on EI, decided to take a training course which I was declined for receiving benefits while in training. I got a random call one afternoon, who I thought wasn't very clear during conversation, (might have been heavy accent), told me that I was not available even though I was but I wasn't going to argue when I only had 1 month of school left. He didn't give me any details, just that I wasn't available and wouldn't be receiving which I then asked if I could receive after it was done and he said, "yes". I had still been sending in my reports, every 2 weeks to say that I was in school. I didn't really question all of this at the time because I'm the type of person who thinks I'm lucky to receive anything.

I am now done school and I am curious what now happens with that money. This is all on one claim, it was never stopped. On my account it says full 100% deduction of what I would normally recieve, so all through school it's $0. Is that money now just gone? Or can I get an extension since I wasn't receiving money for 3 months? I've tried calling daily, it's so hard, you really have to redial every minute for an hour to get the chance to be on hold. I'm now desperate for information. Please help :( .
You can't get an extension. Your claim has a 52 week benefit period and you're entitled to a certain number of weeks within that 1 year. You can only start collecting EI payments from when you are deemed available for work. So you can't claim anything from those 3 months but you can start after you finish school or training...as long as your available for work and your claim is still active.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
bluebody wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 3:14 pm
Still need help...

No you don't get an extension. That money is gone. You have 52 weeks in which to collect your entitlement, regardless if you collect all of your weeks or not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8558 posts
1502 upvotes
Edmonton
lol I guess you beat me to it
Dec 6, 2012
4 posts
Hamilton
Thank you for such a timely response! Keep up the great work :) .
Dec 11, 2012
3 posts
BAYFIELD
I worked for a company for 19 years, which was bought by another company and I was terminated due to restructuring. I am 62 years old. I am getting severance by the way of salary continuance. I have 2 questions. Will I be able to apply and collect EI when my salary continuance ends? Also if I opt to take early CPP benefits, is the amount I get from that deducted off of any benefits I get from EI as income?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2070 posts
153 upvotes
fredrick1 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 12:43 pm
I worked for a company for 19 years, which was bought by another company and I was terminated due to restructuring. I am 62 years old. I am getting severance by the way of salary continuance. I have 2 questions. Will I be able to apply and collect EI when my salary continuance ends? Also if I opt to take early CPP benefits, is the amount I get from that deducted off of any benefits I get from EI as income?
Yea you can collect after salary continuance. CPP will affect your EI depending on when you start collecting CPP and EI. I forget the policy/legislation about pensionable exemptions so maybe someone else can answer that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)