Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 10:22 am
Sep 12, 2012
3 posts
Do the changes set for Jan 6 apply to new claims after that date, or are existing claims affected as well? No info anywhere...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8686 posts
1541 upvotes
Edmonton
hopefulSC wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:45 am
Yeah it was a paid training. Well if its part time it's just like irregular employment because it is just complimenting the EI benefits would it not?
So? If you quit a job you can be disqualified. If you refuse a job you can also be disqualified.
Oct 7, 2009
83 posts
Hey thanks for the post i had a quick question.

I have been on EI for the last 5 months, I applied for jobs and it looks like i will be landing one soon. Now, my question is say i lose the other job, say because my contract is up or it was temporary, or i get laid off, or i get fired. So say after the job has ended can i go back on EI in the mean time till i land another job?

I dont want to find something not stable and then find my self without a job and no EI.

What would you suggest?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8686 posts
1541 upvotes
Edmonton
rogershater wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 7:51 pm
Hey thanks for the post i had a quick question.

I have been on EI for the last 5 months, I applied for jobs and it looks like i will be landing one soon. Now, my question is say i lose the other job, say because my contract is up or it was temporary, or i get laid off, or i get fired. So say after the job has ended can i go back on EI in the mean time till i land another job?

I dont want to find something not stable and then find my self without a job and no EI.

What would you suggest?
Yes you can resume your claim if you become unemployed again through no fault of your own. It just needs to be within that 52 week benefit period. Otherwise you'd have to apply for a new claim
Dec 12, 2012
1 posts
RICHMOND
Hoping you can help point me in the right direction, my question is:

I have worked for my current employer for 5 years. I was hired initially as part time working remotely but the workload was too great to continue P/T so I went F/T after a few short months. I accepted the annual salary offered upon hiring due to the ability to work from home and set my own hours as long as I do a standard 8 hour day and they are aware of my chosen hours to be online. If I had to be in the office, I would have never accepted this salary (and they knew that). Working remotely is equal to earning more money as I am not spending anything on before/afterschool childcare or commuting to and from the office. I currently work 5:30 to 2:30 set hours starting well before the kids get up and off in time to pick them up from school, my youngest is in grade one. I am also online working most evenings once the kids are in bed, usually putting in 10-12 hours per day). In June of this year, our Director retired and has since been replaced by a team of people. Although I am in the sales department, I was on a garaunteed salary which is what I signed up for when hired. In September of this year, I was told that I should be on commission because I am considered sales so they added $2000.00 to my overall wage in commission which is only good to me if my team hits 100% each month (quotas are set very high, this is unlikely) and took away $12,0000.00 from my garaunteed base for a total commission target of $14,000.00 per year. I ended up signing this as I was told I had no choice.

Things could be worse right? I'm still pretty blessed so I found the silver lining and pushed forwared. I am still working from home, being there for the kids, not spending $600 a month in gas and another $800 in childcare....and always getting the job done with great reviews every year. So I'm going to lose a couple hundred dollars a month...I'll make it work....

THEN, on December 10th, I receive email notification that all remote employee's will now be expected to work from the office during the hours of 9-5 effective January 3rd.

I called my Manager in response to this email and explained my situation asking if there was anyway to save me from having to do this as it will cause great financial stress. He informed me there is no way around it and it is mandatory with no alternative options.
I simply cannot afford to work for this company after the recent reduced base wage and now having to commute and find/pay childcare. I have no childcare available to me, I am new to the area I live in and have no means of starting in the office in two weeks. I have no choice but to quit and seek employment elsewhere. Will I qualify for EI benefits until I find a new position? Appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!
Dec 13, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
Hi there,
I'd not sure if I qualify to apply for EI and hope someone here can advise if I do. I worked full time in Toronto with the same company for 6 and a half years (Mar 2005 - Aug 2011). During which time EI deductions were made from my paycheck.
In Aug 2011, I voluntarilty quit my job in order to pursue further studies in the UK (my masters). I just graduated last month (Nov 2012) and am now back in Toronto looking for a job. I havent too much luck in my job search and am a little concerned due to my savings running low.
Any idea if I qualify for EI benefits? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8686 posts
1541 upvotes
Edmonton
JDODD1 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:58 pm
Hoping you can help point me in the right direction, my question is:

I have worked for my current employer for 5 years. I was hired initially as part time working remotely but the workload was too great to continue P/T so I went F/T after a few short months. I accepted the annual salary offered upon hiring due to the ability to work from home and set my own hours as long as I do a standard 8 hour day and they are aware of my chosen hours to be online. If I had to be in the office, I would have never accepted this salary (and they knew that). Working remotely is equal to earning more money as I am not spending anything on before/afterschool childcare or commuting to and from the office. I currently work 5:30 to 2:30 set hours starting well before the kids get up and off in time to pick them up from school, my youngest is in grade one. I am also online working most evenings once the kids are in bed, usually putting in 10-12 hours per day). In June of this year, our Director retired and has since been replaced by a team of people. Although I am in the sales department, I was on a garaunteed salary which is what I signed up for when hired. In September of this year, I was told that I should be on commission because I am considered sales so they added $2000.00 to my overall wage in commission which is only good to me if my team hits 100% each month (quotas are set very high, this is unlikely) and took away $12,0000.00 from my garaunteed base for a total commission target of $14,000.00 per year. I ended up signing this as I was told I had no choice.

Things could be worse right? I'm still pretty blessed so I found the silver lining and pushed forwared. I am still working from home, being there for the kids, not spending $600 a month in gas and another $800 in childcare....and always getting the job done with great reviews every year. So I'm going to lose a couple hundred dollars a month...I'll make it work....

THEN, on December 10th, I receive email notification that all remote employee's will now be expected to work from the office during the hours of 9-5 effective January 3rd.

I called my Manager in response to this email and explained my situation asking if there was anyway to save me from having to do this as it will cause great financial stress. He informed me there is no way around it and it is mandatory with no alternative options.
I simply cannot afford to work for this company after the recent reduced base wage and now having to commute and find/pay childcare. I have no childcare available to me, I am new to the area I live in and have no means of starting in the office in two weeks. I have no choice but to quit and seek employment elsewhere. Will I qualify for EI benefits until I find a new position? Appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!
If your employment "contract" has significantly changed, you may have just cause. It seems to me like those are pretty significant changes to what you initially agreed upon, so you might be ok. However, you need to first exhaust all reasonable alternatives to quitting. Perhaps they can give you slightly more than 2 weeks to find childcare/set up whatever else you need to work from the office. Quitting because you need to commute isn't exactly reasonable, unless the commute is a huge distance and you have no way of getting there. Having to take the bus all of a sudden isn't going to give you just cause. That's just an inconvenience to what you're used to.

I see other problems with your situation, such as your childcare issues. If you have no childcare available to you, what is your plan if you quit? Not having childcare and having to quit because of it would be deemed just cause (I know that's not exactly your situation), but it could bring into question your availability for full time employment.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9953 posts
3924 upvotes
Calgary
shahza wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 2:41 am
Hi there,
I'd not sure if I qualify to apply for EI and hope someone here can advise if I do. I worked full time in Toronto with the same company for 6 and a half years (Mar 2005 - Aug 2011). During which time EI deductions were made from my paycheck.
In Aug 2011, I voluntarilty quit my job in order to pursue further studies in the UK (my masters). I just graduated last month (Nov 2012) and am now back in Toronto looking for a job. I havent too much luck in my job search and am a little concerned due to my savings running low.
Any idea if I qualify for EI benefits? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You dont qualify because 1) you quit for personal reasons, and 2) you have 0 insurable hours in the last 12 months.
Oct 21, 2006
3 posts
Toronto
Firstly a big THANK YOU for b166er1337 and the others for proving us an opportunity to ask our EI questions.

Ok....so my question is pretty basic. I know we have 52 weeks to collect our regular EI payments. I am not not clear on what constitutes the "start date" of the claim? I am assuming it is after the severance payout and waiting period.

For example, let's say I lost my job Feb 1, 2011. I have a 6 week severance and then have the 2 week waiting period, for a total of 8 weeks. Hence, my EI payments would start 8 weeks later on April 1, 2011. Is this my "start date" from which I have the 52 weeks (or until April 1, 2012) to use up all (let's say) 40 weeks of my EI which I qualify for.

Thanking you in advance for your help!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9953 posts
3924 upvotes
Calgary
itspeed wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 5:17 pm
Firstly a big THANK YOU for b166er1337 and the others for proving us an opportunity to ask our EI questions.

Ok....so my question is pretty basic. I know we have 52 weeks to collect our regular EI payments. I am not not clear on what constitutes the "start date" of the claim? I am assuming it is after the severance payout and waiting period.

For example, let's say I lost my job Feb 1, 2011. I have a 6 week severance and then have the 2 week waiting period, for a total of 8 weeks. Hence, my EI payments would start 8 weeks later on April 1, 2011. Is this my "start date" from which I have the 52 weeks (or until April 1, 2012) to use up all (let's say) 40 weeks of my EI which I qualify for.

Thanking you in advance for your help!
The 52-week benefit period includes the 2 week waiting period, that's why the maximum amount of regular benefits is 50 weeks.
Also, it may sound confusing, but your start date is the week of January 30, 2011. Because you receive 6 weeks of severance, your benefit period is extended for 6 weeks accordingly as well.
So for you, the start week is Jan 30, 2011. 52 weeks from that is the week of Jan 29, 2012. Plus your claim is extended 6 weeks so your claim ends the week of March 11, 2012. Last day payable is Friday, March 16, 2012.
Nov 22, 2012
17 posts
Sundridge
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:02 pm
To add to this, true salary continuance is considered full time employment until it stops. You *may" get another ROE when the salary continuance is finished with updated amount and hours. Send that one in if it's issued. It doesn't really affect your claim much though.
I didn't get my ROE yet from my employer I assumed that was because I had to wait until my severance salary continuance to run out.
Dec 13, 2012
1 posts
CHARTERS SETTLEMENT
I am a junior engineer who just got laid off from full time work for the winter. I also just quit my part time retail job that I had been working throughout University. Can quitting my part time job disqualify me from receiving EI benefits?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9953 posts
3924 upvotes
Calgary
annekathy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 7:38 pm
I didn't get my ROE yet from my employer I assumed that was because I had to wait until my severance salary continuance to run out.
Exactly. In EI, salary continuance is considered as full time employment. When it runs out, an ROE will be issued, and you can apply.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9953 posts
3924 upvotes
Calgary
eman91 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 8:46 pm
I am a junior engineer who just got laid off from full time work for the winter. I also just quit my part time retail job that I had been working throughout University. Can quitting my part time job disqualify me from receiving EI benefits?
Unfortunately yes. If you quit any job without just cause, you will be disqualified from regular benefits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)