Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 9:46 am
Dec 16, 2012
1 posts
Hi, I need a small info if any one can help me.
I am almost at the end of my EI claim (regular). This is my first claim. Can I go outside Canada at the end of my claim (last week of payment), or do I need to inform SC?
Is there any thing else need to be done at the end of the claim (any formality, like be in person to SC or something)?
Thanks in advance
TC
Idasca
Dec 16, 2012
2 posts
VANIER
Hi, I'm was looking online for some answers to my EI questions and my search led me here. I've read some responses, and you guys seem to know your stuff, so I decided to register. My question is : My wife is currently off of work due to a serious medical condition. She has applied for sickness benefits. She has all the appropriate documents and well over the number of hours needed so I know she'll be approved. She will probably be off for about a month due to this condition. Now, the thing is, she is scheduled to have a major surgery. The surgery is in April and will need about 6 weeks off to recover. She will probably use currently about 4 weeks of her allowed 12 weeks of benefits. She will return to work before her surgery, as this current medical issue is unrelated to her surgery in April. If she uses only 4 weeks of benefits now, do she reactivate her claim and just have 8 weeks of benefits remaining or does she have to apply again? Sorry if I'm posting this wrong and I thank you, in advance, for all your help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
idasca wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 6:47 pm
Hi, I need a small info if any one can help me.
I am almost at the end of my EI claim (regular). This is my first claim. Can I go outside Canada at the end of my claim (last week of payment), or do I need to inform SC?
Is there any thing else need to be done at the end of the claim (any formality, like be in person to SC or something)?
Thanks in advance
TC
Idasca
When you claim is ending, you don't have to report anything.

You do, however, have to report your absence from Canada if you are collecting EI benefits, even if it's the last week payable.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
xnewf1978 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 8:04 pm
Hi, I'm was looking online for some answers to my EI questions and my search led me here. I've read some responses, and you guys seem to know your stuff, so I decided to register. My question is : My wife is currently off of work due to a serious medical condition. She has applied for sickness benefits. She has all the appropriate documents and well over the number of hours needed so I know she'll be approved. She will probably be off for about a month due to this condition. Now, the thing is, she is scheduled to have a major surgery. The surgery is in April and will need about 6 weeks off to recover. She will probably use currently about 4 weeks of her allowed 12 weeks of benefits. She will return to work before her surgery, as this current medical issue is unrelated to her surgery in April. If she uses only 4 weeks of benefits now, do she reactivate her claim and just have 8 weeks of benefits remaining or does she have to apply again? Sorry if I'm posting this wrong and I thank you, in advance, for all your help.
If she can work another 600 hours between now and April, she can start a brand new sickness benefits (correct me if I'm wrong). Otherwise, she can reactivate her existing claim. She can collect up to 15 weeks of sickness benefits provided she has medical documentation. In her case, she can theoretically have another 11 weeks of sickness benefits as long as her medical notes support it.
Dec 25, 2006
11 posts
b166er1337, thanks for all the info. Quick question - my wife is going on EI (maternity), but will continue to receive company paid benefits (health and dental). But, because her health and dental benefits are not maximized, a certain portion of that company paid benefit will be directed into either an RRSP or a health care spending allowance. Would these benefits be considered earnings and reduce her EI benefit? Thanks in advance!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
dky wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 2:04 am
b166er1337, thanks for all the info. Quick question - my wife is going on EI (maternity), but will continue to receive company paid benefits (health and dental). But, because her health and dental benefits are not maximized, a certain portion of that company paid benefit will be directed into either an RRSP or a health care spending allowance. Would these benefits be considered earnings and reduce her EI benefit? Thanks in advance!
Sorry I am unfamiliar with this situation. Perhaps others have answer for this.
Sep 13, 2011
304 posts
105 upvotes
I see on the SC site that I can file my report now, even though it's a few days early. How can I file an accurate report if I file early? I know for a fact that I won't receive any benefits this week since I am now back to work, but I have no clue as to my gross earnings until after the week is done. No matter what, it will be over my max earnings for sure. Can I just guess or should I just hang off and wait until the week is done.

I just find it weird that they would allow this, even if it is for the holidays. Or is that just for people who know for a fact will not have earnings?
Nov 28, 2012
10 posts
NORTH YORK
so the EI finally accept my claim but my payment is $0?

this is my current claim:
start date of claim: nov-25-12
waiting period: dec 9- dec 22
other money:
vacation pay: nov 25-dec8
weekly amount: $651
last week amount: $629
type of benifit: regular
total insurance earning: 18,126
benifit rate: 383
fed tax: 33
total week of regualar entitilement: 42
end date of claim: nov-23-13
last report processed: dec 9 - dec 15
last report processed on: dec 17 -12
my payment:

nov 25 to dec 8: net amount 0
dec 9 to dec 15: net ammount 0

did they accept my claim or not?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
Zenzukan wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 2:47 pm
so the EI finally accept my claim but my payment is $0?

this is my current claim:
start date of claim: nov-25-12
waiting period: dec 9- dec 22
other money:
vacation pay: nov 25-dec8
weekly amount: $651
last week amount: $629
type of benifit: regular
total insurance earning: 18,126
benifit rate: 383
fed tax: 33
total week of regualar entitilement: 42
end date of claim: nov-23-13
last report processed: dec 9 - dec 15
last report processed on: dec 17 -12
my payment:

nov 25 to dec 8: net amount 0
dec 9 to dec 15: net ammount 0

did they accept my claim or not?
You don't get paid during the waiting period.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9752 posts
3600 upvotes
Calgary
Canuck000 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 12:54 pm
I see on the SC site that I can file my report now, even though it's a few days early. How can I file an accurate report if I file early? I know for a fact that I won't receive any benefits this week since I am now back to work, but I have no clue as to my gross earnings until after the week is done. No matter what, it will be over my max earnings for sure. Can I just guess or should I just hang off and wait until the week is done.

I just find it weird that they would allow this, even if it is for the holidays. Or is that just for people who know for a fact will not have earnings?
Chances are there will be very few hiring right before Christmas. Seriously who starts a new job on Dec 24?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 10:22 am
Sorry I am unfamiliar with this situation. Perhaps others have answer for this.
I'm not sure if it'll be looked at as a SUB plan or just "other earnings" for allocation purposes. If it's an approved SUB plan, that'd be great since it won't affect EI.

Health care spending accounts are tax free, so I'm not sure if CRA considers them insurable earnings or not for EI purposes.
Dec 16, 2012
1 posts
DRYDEN
I am getting laid off of work on Dec 27th. I have been on the chopping block for 3 months and the stress has gotten to me. I am on stress leave as of today. My goals were to find another job within 6 months or go back to school. I went on stress leave for two main reasons - 5 extra weeks of ei, and guaranteed access to second careers program. So my question is - how do I get around not using my severance for my ei claim. Originally, I was going to stay on the recall list until either my ei ran our or I got another job and then take my severance (they will hold it up to year). The trick with second careers is that I need a doctors note stating that I can no longer work in my field and retraining is necessary. If I do that, it severes all ties with my employer and severance is paid out which EI will claim as income and I will be waiting longer. Hope you can understand all of that....
Dec 18, 2012
5 posts
LASALLE
Hey b166er1337 I just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information you have provided.

If i may ask a question:

In August of this year i was laid off with severance pay. I filed for my EI. I was told the last week of December i would receive a balance of some 70$, and that my EI is valid until Dec 2013.

Due to the fact i had a severance pay and they would not allocate me any money for that duration; i did not think i needed to fill out the weekly EI reports.

Today when loggin in I was told i missed my reporting periods and i would have to re-activate my claim; which i beleive i have taken the necessary steps online too.

Do you for see any problems? Why would i have to file reports for the 3-4 months i was not eligible to receive money anyways?

thanks for clarifying. take care.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
Blunted wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 4:39 pm
Hey b166er1337 I just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information you have provided.

If i may ask a question:

In August of this year i was laid off with severance pay. I filed for my EI. I was told the last week of December i would receive a balance of some 70$, and that my EI is valid until Dec 2013.

Due to the fact i had a severance pay and they would not allocate me any money for that duration; i did not think i needed to fill out the weekly EI reports.

Today when loggin in I was told i missed my reporting periods and i would have to re-activate my claim; which i beleive i have taken the necessary steps online too.

Do you for see any problems? Why would i have to file reports for the 3-4 months i was not eligible to receive money anyways?

thanks for clarifying. take care.
The system isn't smart enough to understand your situation, so it just automatically thinks you've stopped filing despite the severance pay. Re-activate it or call in, easy cheesy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8548 posts
1497 upvotes
Edmonton
oxdriftfire wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 9:52 am
I am getting laid off of work on Dec 27th. I have been on the chopping block for 3 months and the stress has gotten to me. I am on stress leave as of today. My goals were to find another job within 6 months or go back to school. I went on stress leave for two main reasons - 5 extra weeks of ei, and guaranteed access to second careers program. So my question is - how do I get around not using my severance for my ei claim. Originally, I was going to stay on the recall list until either my ei ran our or I got another job and then take my severance (they will hold it up to year). The trick with second careers is that I need a doctors note stating that I can no longer work in my field and retraining is necessary. If I do that, it severes all ties with my employer and severance is paid out which EI will claim as income and I will be waiting longer. Hope you can understand all of that....
Your severance is insurable income, so it'll be taken into account regardless.
Sounds like you're trying to work the system a bit? :|

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 6 guests)