EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
Sep 17, 2012
15 posts
1 upvote
CALGARY
Hi! Very useful thread, thank you.

I have recently started working as an accountant for a start-up. Several of the senior members of staff have not taken a salary in 2012.
A question has arisen as to how to reflect their hours from an ROE/EI point of view. They work 40 hours a week, but do not receive compensation.
They will commence receiving a salary in Jan 2013.
I've searched the service canada website, and various other places but can't find any info on this so any help would be gratefully received!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
cherryj wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 5:58 pm
Hi! Very useful thread, thank you.

I have recently started working as an accountant for a start-up. Several of the senior members of staff have not taken a salary in 2012.
A question has arisen as to how to reflect their hours from an ROE/EI point of view. They work 40 hours a week, but do not receive compensation.
They will commence receiving a salary in Jan 2013.
I've searched the service canada website, and various other places but can't find any info on this so any help would be gratefully received!
Are they paying EI premiums?
Sep 17, 2012
15 posts
1 upvote
CALGARY
No, as far as I'm aware they haven't paid any EI premiums.
Apparently they should receive a salary of $1 as they must be paid something legally but I don't know if this impacts EI at all?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
cherryj wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 7:05 pm
No, as far as I'm aware they haven't paid any EI premiums.
Apparently they should receive a salary of $1 as they must be paid something legally but I don't know if this impacts EI at all?
It'll be best to contact CRA about this. If they need EI for some reason they won't qualify since they aren't contributing premiums.
Jun 2, 2007
12 posts
Toronto
Please advise me...I have been sanctioned 29 weeks as Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement. Does these 29 weeks includes two weeks waiting period...means will i get benefits (money) for 29 weeks or 27 weeks...thanks for your help
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9727 posts
3579 upvotes
Calgary
greatman07 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 3:03 pm
Please advise me...I have been sanctioned 29 weeks as Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement. Does these 29 weeks includes two weeks waiting period...means will i get benefits (money) for 29 weeks or 27 weeks...thanks for your help
You get 29 weeks. Waiting period doesn't count.
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Victoria
I will be laid off from my ft job at the end of this year.
I made 60,395 this year and I have bend working there did 1/ years.
I recently started a pt job working 10 hours a week, however it is not working out and I want to quit.
My question is will I still be eligible for ei benefits?
Please help!
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
Brenda68 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 10:03 pm
I will be laid off from my ft job at the end of this year.
I made 60,395 this year and I have bend working there did 1/ years.
I recently started a pt job working 10 hours a week, however it is not working out and I want to quit.
My question is will I still be eligible for ei benefits?
Please help!
Thanks
Not unless you have just cause for quitting
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Victoria
I have been working at a company for 12 years, full time, and have more than enough hours / earnings to qualify for EI benefits. (I have received my lay off notice and my last day of work will be December 31st 2012)
I have taken on a part time job, working a few hours a week - I just started a few days ago, however it is not working out. Can I quit this job, before I lose my other job and still qualify for EI benefits?
Please help me! I am so confused.
Dec 19, 2012
4 posts
Victoria
Even though I am full time employed until Dec 31st of this year?
This part time job, I have worked 10 hours this week, in addition to my full time job?
It is just not working out at this part time job, it is interfering with my full time job.
Dec 20, 2012
2 posts
If I get fired am I still eligible for Parental Benefits? I got fired without warning and it was completely unexepected after being off one week when my son was born. I reactivateded a previous claim as I get laid off for a month or two in the winter and so I was receiving the parental benefits but my claim ran out Dec 8. I reapplied as directed only now my account online says that because I was fired that I am not eligible for employment insurance as of August 12, 2012. I received 16 weeks of parental leave and was expecting to be able to receive the other 19 weeks as I am a landscaper and there is not much work in my field now anyway so I have been spending time with my wife and son. If I am not eligible am I going to have to pay back the money that I received from August until December?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
Brenda68 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 1:22 am
I have been working at a company for 12 years, full time, and have more than enough hours / earnings to qualify for EI benefits. (I have received my lay off notice and my last day of work will be December 31st 2012)
I have taken on a part time job, working a few hours a week - I just started a few days ago, however it is not working out. Can I quit this job, before I lose my other job and still qualify for EI benefits?
Please help me! I am so confused.
If you quit a part time job because it interferes with a full time job, you will generally have just cause. However, since you're aware your full time employment is ending, and especially since the end date is only a matter of days away, an adjudicator will probably lean towards you not having just cause. If I were to adjudicate your claim, I would most likely rule you don't have just cause since you're well aware of the end date of your full time employment. Plus there's probably a way for you to work around the conflict for the next week or so.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
eddiekelly13 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 1:54 am
If I get fired am I still eligible for Parental Benefits? I got fired without warning and it was completely unexepected after being off one week when my son was born. I reactivateded a previous claim as I get laid off for a month or two in the winter and so I was receiving the parental benefits but my claim ran out Dec 8. I reapplied as directed only now my account online says that because I was fired that I am not eligible for employment insurance as of August 12, 2012. I received 16 weeks of parental leave and was expecting to be able to receive the other 19 weeks as I am a landscaper and there is not much work in my field now anyway so I have been spending time with my wife and son. If I am not eligible am I going to have to pay back the money that I received from August until December?
Did your claim get reactivated as regular benefits? It's probably an administrative issue and needs some human intervention to clear up you trying to collect regular vs. parental benefits. Unless.....is your wife receiving EI parental benefits as well?
Dec 20, 2012
2 posts
clseea wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:46 am
Did your claim get reactivated as regular benefits? It's probably an administrative issue and needs some human intervention to clear up you trying to collect regular vs. parental benefits. Unless.....is your wife receiving EI parental benefits as well?
No it was reactivated as Parental benefits in August until December and I reapplied for parental Dec 2 and no my wife is not collecting benefits as she is a homemaker as we have 4 kids. Thanks for your quick response and I will try calling again today.

Thank you so much for this great thread :)
Apr 11, 2011
3 posts
My husband applied for EI over a month ago and Service Canada is still saying on their website and sending us letters in the mail that they have not yet recieved his ROE. However, we've confirmed with his old employer several times that the ROE was sent on October 31st, 2012 and have the serial number for it. We can't seem to get hold of anyone when calling in.

Any suggestions as to how to make sure they have this information? Does anyone know if they will honor the date the ROE's and claim for EI was sent in for payment?

Thanks for any answers and this thread, very helpful!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)