Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 2:53 pm
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
I don't know if you can help with this question or not. I was laid off my last job, but have been given a return date for the spring. I also have my own business working about 10 hours a week. My claim is processing and I just got a form in the mail (Employment Questionnaire) to clarify my self employment. It asks if I am seeking other employment. The small business has always just been part time, but I do pursue as much work as I can (it asks if I am trying to make it my main source of income). Due to that and having the return date at my other job, the only work I am seeking is more self-employment work. If I check off that I am not seeking other work on the form they sent though, am I then risking my claim being denied? Thanks for any help.

It's confusing because my part time job is basically all small contracts. I am actively looking for work related to my self-employment, but I can only do the jobs I find/get. My other job is my real job to me. If I have a return date, I won't find another job. Who is going to hire knowing I will have to quit in a few months?

One other quick question, is there any way to file this questionnaire over the phone? It asks for my social security number, and I had an issue with identity theft once in the past. It was likely do to it being stolen from an item in the mail. I am really leery of filling out my SIN on anything I am mailing.
Dec 18, 2012
5 posts
LASALLE
clseea wrote:
Dec 19th, 2012 5:30 pm
The system isn't smart enough to understand your situation, so it just automatically thinks you've stopped filing despite the severance pay. Re-activate it or call in, easy cheesy.
Thanks. I believe i did the steps to -re-activate online. 2 days later and it is still not activated.

Do i have to wait another 2 weeks for a new access code? My old one still says i'm late on previous reporting periods and it must be re-activated.

Damn this is not looking good for me.

thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
eddiekelly13 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 10:50 am
No it was reactivated as Parental benefits in August until December and I reapplied for parental Dec 2 and no my wife is not collecting benefits as she is a homemaker as we have 4 kids. Thanks for your quick response and I will try calling again today.

Thank you so much for this great thread :)
Interesting...let us know what happens
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Maharei wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 12:47 pm
My husband applied for EI over a month ago and Service Canada is still saying on their website and sending us letters in the mail that they have not yet recieved his ROE. However, we've confirmed with his old employer several times that the ROE was sent on October 31st, 2012 and have the serial number for it. We can't seem to get hold of anyone when calling in.

Any suggestions as to how to make sure they have this information? Does anyone know if they will honor the date the ROE's and claim for EI was sent in for payment?

Thanks for any answers and this thread, very helpful!
Unless the employer files ROEs electronically, they probably didn't send a copy to Service Canada for EI purposes, rather to the ROE center in Bathurst. For paper copies, one copy should go to the employer, one to the employee and one to the ROE office. The employee is then supposed to submit it to SC. If one isn't sent to Service Canada directly for claims calculations, you'll keep getting those messages. If you have a paper copy, take it to your SC office right away.

If it was filed electronically you shouldn't be getting those messages, but double check your My Service Canada Account anyways.

And yes, they'll honor the start date unless you just keep delaying getting the ROE in
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
tdu wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 1:53 pm
I don't know if you can help with this question or not. I was laid off my last job, but have been given a return date for the spring. I also have my own business working about 10 hours a week. My claim is processing and I just got a form in the mail (Employment Questionnaire) to clarify my self employment. It asks if I am seeking other employment. The small business has always just been part time, but I do pursue as much work as I can (it asks if I am trying to make it my main source of income). Due to that and having the return date at my other job, the only work I am seeking is more self-employment work. If I check off that I am not seeking other work on the form they sent though, am I then risking my claim being denied? Thanks for any help.

It's confusing because my part time job is basically all small contracts. I am actively looking for work related to my self-employment, but I can only do the jobs I find/get. My other job is my real job to me. If I have a return date, I won't find another job. Who is going to hire knowing I will have to quit in a few months?

One other quick question, is there any way to file this questionnaire over the phone? It asks for my social security number, and I had an issue with identity theft once in the past. It was likely do to it being stolen from an item in the mail. I am really leery of filling out my SIN on anything I am mailing.
Simply put, if you're not actively looking for full time employment you won't receive benefits.

You should be able to fill out the form over the phone. Another option is to drop it off at your local SC office and they'll mail it internally to wherever it needs to go.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Blunted wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:05 pm
Thanks. I believe i did the steps to -re-activate online. 2 days later and it is still not activated.

Do i have to wait another 2 weeks for a new access code? My old one still says i'm late on previous reporting periods and it must be re-activated.

Damn this is not looking good for me.

thanks again.
No you won't need a new access code. The system is too dumb to understand so a CSO will need to clear the problem. Shouldn't take very long once you get through to someone
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
clseea wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 4:56 pm
Simply put, if you're not actively looking for full time employment you won't receive benefits.

You should be able to fill out the form over the phone. Another option is to drop it off at your local SC office and they'll mail it internally to wherever it needs to go.
Ok thanks. So I guess if I want benefits, I'll have to job hunt and lie about my other job, or tell interviewers I will quit their job in 3 months lol. That's going to be a treat.

So on this form, there is the question, "are you trying to make this employment your main source of income". That ideally would be a goal of mine, but I have a lot of growing with the business to go at this point. It's fairly new and has only been part time. Does answering that 'yes' gain any leeway? If seasonal layoffs for my real job are going to be a trend, and you can't collect EI as a seasonal worker, then I am going to have to start to research other options anyway so maybe it's time to try to grow the business.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
tdu wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 5:14 pm
Ok thanks. So I guess if I want benefits, I'll have to job hunt and lie about my other job, or tell interviewers I will quit their job in 3 months lol. That's going to be a treat.

So on this form, there is the question, "are you trying to make this employment your main source of income". That ideally would be a goal of mine, but I have a lot of growing with the business to go at this point. It's fairly new and has only been part time. Does answering that 'yes' gain any leeway? If seasonal layoffs for my real job are going to be a trend, and you can't collect EI as a seasonal worker, then I am going to have to start to research other options anyway so maybe it's time to try to grow the business.
Well there are probably 3 month term positions available, or maybe a job will pop up that you like more than your regular one?

I wouldn't indicate "yes", unless you're going to be going at the self employment as your full time job. Ideally you want to do that, but you're not going to quit your other jobs and commit 40+ hours to your self employment right? Answering yes will probably hurt you more than help you

And you can collect EI as a seasonal worker.... the rules have changed slightly in terms of what type of work you need to look for if you're a frequent flyer, but you're still eligible like anyone else.
Nov 22, 2012
17 posts
Sundridge
Does anyone know if I will be able to receive EI while on the second career program, on the Second Career thread from a few years back it says yes, but I am not sure if that is the case now.
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
clseea, thanks for the help so far, I had one other question. Do you know the form I am referring too in my original question? The "Employment Questionnaire"? If so, I am just having a problem understanding a couple of questions. I won't be able to get a hold of a person on the phone for a few days now, so I thought it you happened to see this and knew the form you might be able to help.

The first few questions are about self-employment and very self explanatory. Question 3 asks "If you are not self-employed, please give the name, address and telephone number of your employer". Now what confuses me is the wording of the remaining questions. The first few (3,4,5) appear to be all asking about non-self employment, and working for an employer. But, I am not really sure where the form comes back to questions relating to self-employment. The form is really badly worded and is pretty confusing. Part of it is about self employment, and part isn't. But there are basically no instructions to say which is which. I am sure I skip questions 3 and 4, but I have no idea about the others.

If you can help with this at all, thanks a ton.
Sep 24, 2006
597 posts
60 upvotes
Guelph, On
annekathy wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:04 am
Does anyone know if I will be able to receive EI while on the second career program, on the Second Career thread from a few years back it says yes, but I am not sure if that is the case now.
yes you can and three people in my class are on second careers and getting EI.
Mar 27, 2012
764 posts
92 upvotes
Baffin Island, NU
Hi can somebody please give me advice on my situation?

My scenario:

I just got laid off due to company restructuring and my last day of work was on Dec 19 2012 (I've been employed with the company for 2 yrs) however on Dec 20 2012 I got a job offered from another company and I started the work on Dec 21 2012(Without thinking thoroughly about the job offer), I also filled out the TD1 along with other employment offer paper. that being said I send my EI application electronically on morning of Dec 20 2012.

My question:

Will I still get EI entitlement even though I end up not showing for the next working day (quitting it)? what I really meant is will my EI application get rebuke since I end up having a job for 1 day?

Other Scenario:

I'm also working toward my accounting diploma and right now I am trying to get into accounting position but it is hard to get into one since most of them are looking for at least minimum of 1yr A/R A/P experience.

Question:

Is there anyway I can get a help from EI to fund my education? I've ask it here since when I went to Service Canada they told me to go to Govt of AB (ALIS) site since they are the one who's responsible for re-training.

Thank you for all the help.
For Sale

Lenticular Coin and Stamp Set - Superman: Then and Now (2013) for $40.00 + S&H
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
dealbreak3r wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:33 am
Hi can somebody please give me advice on my situation?

My scenario:

I just got laid off due to company restructuring and my last day of work was on Dec 19 2012 (I've been employed with the company for 2 yrs) however on Dec 20 2012 I got a job offered from another company and I started the work on Dec 21 2012(Without thinking thoroughly about the job offer), I also filled out the TD1 along with other employment offer paper. that being said I send my EI application electronically on morning of Dec 20 2012.

My question:

Will I still get EI entitlement even though I end up not showing for the next working day (quitting it)? what I really meant is will my EI application get rebuke since I end up having a job for 1 day?

Other Scenario:

I'm also working toward my accounting diploma and right now I am trying to get into accounting position but it is hard to get into one since most of them are looking for at least minimum of 1yr A/R A/P experience.

Question:

Is there anyway I can get a help from EI to fund my education? I've ask it here since when I went to Service Canada they told me to go to Govt of AB (ALIS) site since they are the one who's responsible for re-training.

Thank you for all the help.
So you got laid off then took another job then quit the next day? Why? You probably just shot yourself in the foot.

You'll have to contact the GoA..... but chances are slim you'll get funding
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
tdu wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:17 am
clseea, thanks for the help so far, I had one other question. Do you know the form I am referring too in my original question? The "Employment Questionnaire"? If so, I am just having a problem understanding a couple of questions. I won't be able to get a hold of a person on the phone for a few days now, so I thought it you happened to see this and knew the form you might be able to help.

The first few questions are about self-employment and very self explanatory. Question 3 asks "If you are not self-employed, please give the name, address and telephone number of your employer". Now what confuses me is the wording of the remaining questions. The first few (3,4,5) appear to be all asking about non-self employment, and working for an employer. But, I am not really sure where the form comes back to questions relating to self-employment. The form is really badly worded and is pretty confusing. Part of it is about self employment, and part isn't. But there are basically no instructions to say which is which. I am sure I skip questions 3 and 4, but I have no idea about the others.

If you can help with this at all, thanks a ton.
I don't know the wording off hand
Mar 27, 2012
764 posts
92 upvotes
Baffin Island, NU
clseea wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:39 am
So you got laid off then took another job then quit the next day? Why? You probably just shot yourself in the foot.

You'll have to contact the GoA..... but chances are slim you'll get funding
thanks for answering clseea but can you please elaborate your expression? "You probably just shot yourself in the foot" meaning there will be implication to my EI application?

Thanks again
For Sale

Lenticular Coin and Stamp Set - Superman: Then and Now (2013) for $40.00 + S&H

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)