• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
perfectdark99 wrote: My EI got approved
I have 2 questions:
Can I study full time during my EI ? what about part time ? Is there a limit of courses I can take and how do service canada track that down ?
How long will it last ?
Thanks guys
No not full-time unless it is pre approved training. Part time schooling under 10 hours is fine. It's kind of the honor system but if you can't show a decent job search history because you're in school full time you will have to pay back the money or have fines etc etc
How long will what last....your EI? Sign up for a My Service Canada Account to see your details
Feb 1, 2008
895 posts
117 upvotes
just got a job and will be starting next week. im currently on EI and was wondering how to tell them; do i need to phone them or would it be sufficient to indicate it in my bi-weekly reporting?

i was also wondering, since i still have a couple months of EI that i havent claimed yet because i just got a job, what happens to it? would i get the amount back should i start a new EI claim in the future?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Quitfire wrote: My father got very ill. He passed away 2 days after.
Sorry to hear that.
The test for qualifying will be determined if your exhausted all reasonable alternatives to quiting. Could you have taken a leave, was it necessary for you to take care of him or was it simply a personal choice, could you have taken compassionate leave etc etc.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
dubjk wrote: just got a job and will be starting next week. im currently on EI and was wondering how to tell them; do i need to phone them or would it be sufficient to indicate it in my bi-weekly reporting?

i was also wondering, since i still have a couple months of EI that i havent claimed yet because i just got a job, what happens to it? would i get the amount back should i start a new EI claim in the future?
Indicate it on your next report. If you need EI again within your current benefit period, simply reactivate your claim. You don't get some sort of EI refund
Mar 11, 2013
2 posts
clseea wrote: The 28 days you're talking about is how long it should take to process your application. With backlogs you're looking at closer to 40 days. If you qualify you won't be payable until after your severance is exhausted. Once it's exhausted you serve a 2 week unpaid waiting period. Then you start receiving benefits.

So in your case you won't be paid until 10 weeks after your date of separation... Provided your claim is finalized. (6 weeks of severance plus 2 week waiting period plus your first payable 2 week report)

If you're out of the country you won't get paid. Let Service Canada know before you leave to save a giant headache. Doesn't matter what time of year it is although if you leave now your benefits would only be marginally affected. You aren't payable right now so you'd only be affected once you hit your waiting period or later on.

Thank you. If I inform ei and leave for India; then come back in 2 months and inform them again of my arrival: will I still get ei for the same number of weeks that I was entitled for originally or will there be loss of benefits? Thank you
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Noob12 wrote: Thank you. If I inform ei and leave for India; then come back in 2 months and inform them again of my arrival: will I still get ei for the same number of weeks that I was entitled for originally or will there be loss of benefits? Thank you
Your claim ends with whatever happens first:
1. You use all of your weeks of entitlement
2. Your benefit period ends

So if you are entitled to 45 weeks but get back from India with only 40 weeks until your benefit period ends, you only get the remaining 40 weeks not 45
Mar 3, 2013
4 posts
Hi, I'm new to this...do i need to keep a kind of log, proof/record that i'm actively looking for work? doing my best daily to find a job but not sure how i'd document such a thing. thanks in advance
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
bmxforlife wrote: Hi, I'm new to this...do i need to keep a kind of log, proof/record that i'm actively looking for work? doing my best daily to find a job but not sure how i'd document such a thing. thanks in advance
Definitely keep a log! I made a simple Excel file with multiple columns:

Date Applied
Company Applied
How Applied (ie. walk-in, email etc)
Who Applied To
Date of Follow-Up
Date of Interview
Outcome
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
clseea wrote: Is Google maps right in that it's only 35kms and 25 mins away? If so, that's not much of a hardship. With traffic it might be longer but it doesn't seem like it's any worse off a commute than probably everyone else in that area
Yea, the areas are pretty close but sometimes rush hour can make it into 2 hours depending on the time of day.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
cm99camper wrote: Yea, the areas are pretty close but sometimes rush hour can make it into 2 hours depending on the time of day.
Is transit available and quicker?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: Is transit available and quicker?
there is public transit, but it takes forever. You can go from York Region Transit, to TTC, to Mississauga Transit. It's a mess to commute on public transit.

but honestly, if he has a car, there is no way that's just cause. Lots of people in GTA commute back and forth.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: there is public transit, but it takes forever. You can go from York Region Transit, to TTC, to Mississauga Transit. It's a mess to commute on public transit.

but honestly, if he has a car, there is no way that's just cause. Lots of people in GTA commute back and forth.
Agreed. Even in Edmonton it can take me nearly an hour to get downtown so I don't see just cause
Mar 12, 2013
5 posts
Markham
clseea wrote: Sorry to hear that.
The test for qualifying will be determined if your exhausted all reasonable alternatives to quiting. Could you have taken a leave, was it necessary for you to take care of him or was it simply a personal choice, could you have taken compassionate leave etc etc.
Should i give up hope then? Went to mps office today and told the assistant my story. She'd call service canada to inquire nevertheless.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Quitfire wrote: Should i give up hope then? Went to mps office today and told the assistant my story. She'd call service canada to inquire nevertheless.
Well did you just flat out quit after they said you couldn't take another week (or however long) of vacation or did you try to work around it with other things?
Mar 12, 2013
5 posts
Markham
clseea wrote: Well did you just flat out quit after they said you couldn't take another week (or however long) of vacation or did you try to work around it with other things?
Yeah. I realized it now that it was a bad decision on my part. Sometimes its hard to think straight when you are grieving for the loss. I thought if i told them what happened to my father, my boss could have but chose not to accommodate my situation.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
clseea wrote: Agreed. Even in Edmonton it can take me nearly an hour to get downtown so I don't see just cause
I was commuting 49 km/way at my prior job. Took me about 45 min in the off-season, up to an hour and a half each way with summer traffic from May - October (tourist town).

Unfortunately, commuting is part of work... I'd rather commute and work then go on EI and collect money knowing I could be working and most likely making more.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Quitfire wrote: Yeah. I realized it now that it was a bad decision on my part. Sometimes its hard to think straight when you are grieving for the loss. I thought if i told them what happened to my father, my boss could have but chose not to accommodate my situation.
Don't give up hope, but chances are going to be fairly slim if you didn't exhaust alternatives to quitting.

See here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ess_family
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
LostInTime wrote: My bf's mom's workplace is relocating from North York to Mississauga and the company has requested that she relocate with them. She does not wish to drive so far each day to work. Would she be eligible for E.I. in light of the fact that the company relocated to quite a significant distance away?
See this link:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... sportation

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)