Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Mar 3, 2013
4 posts
Hi, I'm new to this...do i need to keep a kind of log, proof/record that i'm actively looking for work? doing my best daily to find a job but not sure how i'd document such a thing. thanks in advance
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
bmxforlife wrote: Hi, I'm new to this...do i need to keep a kind of log, proof/record that i'm actively looking for work? doing my best daily to find a job but not sure how i'd document such a thing. thanks in advance
excel sheet or word file should do it.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Quitfire wrote: just wondering if death in the family would make a difference in their decision.
You still need to exhaust alternatives and not just flat out quit.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Premium wrote: I am asking on behalf of my aunt so please bare with me. She is ending her contract on the end of March 30 (last of the week). Her last payment cheque will be on April 3rd. Shall she contact CRA for EI on the next following business day which is April 1st or the next day after the last cheque payment?

She works for an agency as a contractor and how would she approach to ask her agency for ROE (EI)? She told me that she is worried the agency may supply her with other jobs and deny her entry for EI. Thus, making her to work longer for the agency. If she declines, it would affect her since CRA will ask on the status from the employer. Btw, I forgot to state that it's her first time to collect EI.
The ROE should come from the employer not the agency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's not working for the agency, the agency simply finds her work. Their role is to recruit for companies that contract out recruitment services.

Regardless, if she is done her contract just get her to apply when she's stopped working. She doesn't contact CRA, she simply applies online through the Service Canada website.

If the agency gives her more work I don't see why she would decline it. Declining a job puts your eligibility at risk
Mar 15, 2013
1 posts
Hi,

I have just left my employer to start maternity leave. I went to apply for my benefits online and it says that I need to apply using the last name that is on my SIN card which should be my legal name. I am married and never legally changed my name, just assumed my husbands last name so all of my other documentation is under my new last name, other then my SIN card. When I had my first child I know I applied using my maiden name which is what is on my SIN card, but a friend of mine is telling me now that even though I never legally changed my name to my married name, that EI will deny my claim as I will need a new SIN card in my married name. Another friend of mine just applied for benefits and is already receiving payments and she used her maiden name even though all of her other identity and information is in her married name. Can I use my maiden name to apply for my EI benefits like I did with my first pregnancy since I never legally changed my name or will I need a new card first?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
jnormandeau44 wrote: Hi,

I have just left my employer to start maternity leave. I went to apply for my benefits online and it says that I need to apply using the last name that is on my SIN card which should be my legal name. I am married and never legally changed my name, just assumed my husbands last name so all of my other documentation is under my new last name, other then my SIN card. When I had my first child I know I applied using my maiden name which is what is on my SIN card, but a friend of mine is telling me now that even though I never legally changed my name to my married name, that EI will deny my claim as I will need a new SIN card in my married name. Another friend of mine just applied for benefits and is already receiving payments and she used her maiden name even though all of her other identity and information is in her married name. Can I use my maiden name to apply for my EI benefits like I did with my first pregnancy since I never legally changed my name or will I need a new card first?
You won't get denied... They'll just need to confirm things with you
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: The ROE should come from the employer not the agency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she's not working for the agency, the agency simply finds her work. Their role is to recruit for companies that contract out recruitment services.

Regardless, if she is done her contract just get her to apply when she's stopped working. She doesn't contact CRA, she simply applies online through the Service Canada website.

If the agency gives her more work I don't see why she would decline it. Declining a job puts your eligibility at risk
It is my experiences that temp agency will be issuing the ROEs. The employer does not consider temp staff to be their regular staffs as they are not directly hired by the employer.

Nevertheless, it is the agency's responsibility to issue the ROE within 5 days of the last pay period end date.
Mar 16, 2013
2 posts
First of all, great thread! This is so helpful in understanding how everything works on a circumstantial basis.

Here's my situation:
I was recently terminated from my position. My work involved the handling of customer information, and it turned out that I had been mishandling said information. When the security dept inquired further, I was fully truthful about everything, and cooperative in terms of improving. Nevertheless, the security risk outweighed my cooperation, and they opted for termination. This paints a picture of willful misconduct, which would disqualify me for EI.

However, in my final meeting with my HR dept, I asked about how this would affect my ability to claim EI. They said that they would ensure that it would work out (they would 'push it through', or something along those lines). I was left feeling optimistic about being able to at least have EI to tide me over in searching for new work.

How will this pan out, though? I was terminated, and while willful misconduct was never made explicit, it certainly felt implied from their position. As of now, I've submitted an EI claim leaving the dismissal field generic. I've since received a call from an adjucator, although it went to voicemail as I was unavailable to take the call. I since called back, leaving a voicemail of my own. I can only imagine that they'll want details regarding the dismissal - or might it be something else? I'm taking an online course, and perhaps they might want clarifications about that?

I'm hoping you might be able to clarify things for me a bit. What can I do on my end to make sure I don't disqualify myself, and ensure my former employer is able to keep their word?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: It is my experiences that temp agency will be issuing the ROEs. The employer does not consider temp staff to be their regular staffs as they are not directly hired by the employer.

Nevertheless, it is the agency's responsibility to issue the ROE within 5 days of the last pay period end date.
I've seen it both ways...hopefully the ROE comes
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
Does a reactivated claim need to be approved by someone or is it automatic? I reactivated, got my access code, and filed my first report but I can't file my next report because my first one hasn't been processed yet. I don't remember it taking this long for my reports to be processed last time.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
When do T4E come out? Should be at the end of February to my understanding. I hope that they will forward my T4E from my previous address.

Dave
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
DavidY wrote: When do T4E come out? Should be at the end of February to my understanding. I hope that they will forward my T4E from my previous address.

Dave
They've been sent out. You'll need to call in to get another one
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
DavidY wrote: When do T4E come out? Should be at the end of February to my understanding. I hope that they will forward my T4E from my previous address.

Dave
It is also available on the Service Canada website.
blarg wrote: Does a reactivated claim need to be approved by someone or is it automatic? I reactivated, got my access code, and filed my first report but I can't file my next report because my first one hasn't been processed yet. I don't remember it taking this long for my reports to be processed last time.
Renewal is not automated.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
mcarbone83 wrote: First of all, great thread! This is so helpful in understanding how everything works on a circumstantial basis.

Here's my situation:
I was recently terminated from my position. My work involved the handling of customer information, and it turned out that I had been mishandling said information. When the security dept inquired further, I was fully truthful about everything, and cooperative in terms of improving. Nevertheless, the security risk outweighed my cooperation, and they opted for termination. This paints a picture of willful misconduct, which would disqualify me for EI.

However, in my final meeting with my HR dept, I asked about how this would affect my ability to claim EI. They said that they would ensure that it would work out (they would 'push it through', or something along those lines). I was left feeling optimistic about being able to at least have EI to tide me over in searching for new work.

How will this pan out, though? I was terminated, and while willful misconduct was never made explicit, it certainly felt implied from their position. As of now, I've submitted an EI claim leaving the dismissal field generic. I've since received a call from an adjucator, although it went to voicemail as I was unavailable to take the call. I since called back, leaving a voicemail of my own. I can only imagine that they'll want details regarding the dismissal - or might it be something else? I'm taking an online course, and perhaps they might want clarifications about that?

I'm hoping you might be able to clarify things for me a bit. What can I do on my end to make sure I don't disqualify myself, and ensure my former employer is able to keep their word?
Well, the adjudicator will seek additional information. What information did you put on the application that cause your termination?
Mar 16, 2013
3 posts
hi! thanks for being such a great resource. i have a couple of questions.

i am currently receiving ei. if i get sick for a few days (for example with a cold or flu) should i report this as not being available for work on those days?

is it ok to go away for a few days or a week (within canada) if i am still able to apply for work while i am away?

thanks!
Mar 16, 2013
2 posts
b166er1337 wrote: Well, the adjudicator will seek additional information. What information did you put on the application that cause your termination?
When I filled out the application, it didn't require me to go into detail re: termination, so it's just a tick in a box at this point. Ok - I'll be prepared to explain further. I'm just not familiar at all with this process - thanks for helping.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
katieboo wrote: hi! thanks for being such a great resource. i have a couple of questions.

i am currently receiving ei. if i get sick for a few days (for example with a cold or flu) should i report this as not being available for work on those days?

is it ok to go away for a few days or a week (within canada) if i am still able to apply for work while i am away?

thanks!
If it's just a couple of days, and you are in Canada, I wouldn't bother reporting it.
Mar 17, 2013
6 posts
Toronto
Hello,

Thank you for your thread.

My question is: I was recently laid off and have the hours to qualify, but 9 months ago during a previous work shortage I did a part time job for 6 weeks and then quit once my primary job was back to full time. So for the last 10 months I had been working at my primary job which has experience a more lasting work shortage, hence me filing for EI.

When I saw my electronic ROE online from the recent lay off, I also notice the ROE from teh 6 week part time gig I did just under a year ago. The 6 week job from over a year ago had said "quit" on it, will this impact the claim I am filing from my current 10 month later lay off from the primary job?

If not, will the hours from the 6 week part time job I quit to return to my regular higher paying job for the last 11 months be included in my claim?

Thanks again for all your help
Mar 16, 2013
3 posts
b166er1337 wrote: If it's just a couple of days, and you are in Canada, I wouldn't bother reporting it.
thanks! guessing your answer applies to both questions? i'm also slated to have a minor surgical procedure next month. recovery time will be a week or two. should i report this as it will not affect my ability to apply for jobs, but it could affect my availability for an interview?