• Jul 22nd, 2019 5:03 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9795 posts
3703 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 9:01 pm
I'd advise you to stay with your employer. If you take the next 30+ weeks off, you're benefit rate is going to be minimal. Not much point doing that
Actually benefit rate is calculated based on average earnings on the final 6 months of employment. Her hours will be dramatically reduced, but her rate will be the same. And she is applying for maternity + parental benefits, so it really doesn't matter as long as she has 600 hours. If she is perfectly okay without income for the next 6 months, then I can see why she wants to quit now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 12:15 am
Actually benefit rate is calculated based on average earnings on the final 6 months of employment. Her hours will be dramatically reduced, but her rate will be the same. And she is applying for maternity + parental benefits, so it really doesn't matter as long as she has 600 hours. If she is perfectly okay without income for the next 6 months, then I can see why she wants to quit now.
But she won't even have 6 months of rate calculation period if she applies in September 2013. Her BP is going to be September 2012 - 2013, but she'll only have like 18 - 20 weeks for calculation purposes.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4262 posts
476 upvotes
Barrys Bay
frugal24 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 8:48 pm
Yes, this is a big mistake on my part. I have no one else to blame. This situation has put a strain on my family. Ill post the results of the whole thing after said and done.

I'm scared because... the amounts may go over into serious territory. They will see that I made mistakes in the past (which I paid back and admitted mistake). My job search was minimal. I used a week to train myself on an Application, I honestly dont remember if I asked about that before, or someone told me. I am also scared of the possibility of prosecution, do they do that on small fry like me?

As for my sick son, I plan to take him to the doctor tomorrow, and yes, the school should have attendance records. And I did manage to send out some resume's at the same time too.
I still don't understand why you are SO WORRIED, you have done job search just present it. Some people do none.

As mentioned the investigator is human, will understand mistakes( its even on service canada's website about EI understanding mistakes as long as you hon up to them ), if your honest it is best thing, as maybe they will say put more effort into job searches, or just repay xx amount over time. If your fumbling with excusses they can ask for $ back with penalty and infraction for next time(s) on EI. I cannot see why you woudl not go honest route as other route is bad outcome if doesn't work.

Using a week to train yourself, unless a school/etc is sorta hard to proove, but as well the investigator is human and could understand i needed to read up on EXCELL as many jobs demand it but could not afford course so spent week online learning it....

They will say adequat or not. Your penalty is only based on weeks in question by investigator, who knows maybe its just random investigation, or someone reported you( ex/freind/old job( if they offer you position back and you denied )etc. )

Like I said before, print out all your cover letters to jobs applied, or if applying online, copy paste and save email..

As for log of jobs applied, jsut say you didn't knwo you had to keep one, but here's pile of jobs I applied to...they may say OK you need to improve or is good enough......

As well did the investigator tell you what meeeting is about? as maybe has to deal with something else....maybe they saw payment from employer while on EI ( I had this happen as my start date was last day pay period ----ROE form was made from start date payroll, not my actual pay/start date -- I spent about 6 hours on calls, etc with EI and employer fixing up.... as they wanted to penalize me..... and I was just ending a EI claim, so they thought my EI paid 2 weeks last + new employer pay 2 weeks)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9795 posts
3703 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 3:53 am
But she won't even have 6 months of rate calculation period if she applies in September 2013. Her BP is going to be September 2012 - 2013, but she'll only have like 18 - 20 weeks for calculation purposes.
Yes that's right. So it will be based on the average weekly earnings for those 18-20 weeks. It won't be divided by 26. This is a bit confusing thats why the benefit rate is all calculated by the computer, not by human.
Jan 30, 2013
21 posts
theguyz wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 7:23 am
I still don't understand why you are SO WORRIED, you have done job search just present it. Some people do none.

As mentioned the investigator is human, will understand mistakes( its even on service canada's website about EI understanding mistakes as long as you hon up to them ), if your honest it is best thing, as maybe they will say put more effort into job searches, or just repay xx amount over time. If your fumbling with excusses they can ask for $ back with penalty and infraction for next time(s) on EI. I cannot see why you woudl not go honest route as other route is bad outcome if doesn't work.

Using a week to train yourself, unless a school/etc is sorta hard to proove, but as well the investigator is human and could understand i needed to read up on EXCELL as many jobs demand it but could not afford course so spent week online learning it....

They will say adequat or not. Your penalty is only based on weeks in question by investigator, who knows maybe its just random investigation, or someone reported you( ex/freind/old job( if they offer you position back and you denied )etc. )

Like I said before, print out all your cover letters to jobs applied, or if applying online, copy paste and save email..

As for log of jobs applied, jsut say you didn't knwo you had to keep one, but here's pile of jobs I applied to...they may say OK you need to improve or is good enough......

As well did the investigator tell you what meeeting is about? as maybe has to deal with something else....maybe they saw payment from employer while on EI ( I had this happen as my start date was last day pay period ----ROE form was made from start date payroll, not my actual pay/start date -- I spent about 6 hours on calls, etc with EI and employer fixing up.... as they wanted to penalize me..... and I was just ending a EI claim, so they thought my EI paid 2 weeks last + new employer pay 2 weeks)
Everyone has been telling me not to worry. I probably am a worry wort. But I went to a rights & responsibility meeting two years ago, so I should know I have to make a log (although I dont remember much from the meeting). As for the app, I spent 5 days on it. Then a week later, I spent another 5 days on my portfolio to enlarge the skill I can offer. What worries me most, is that my search effort was mostly looking at forums on linkedin, and job boards like monster.... weak and difficult to prove. and I did not email any contacts for networking in the early going and only emailed 3 people later on. I dont have any reason for not reaching out to former co-workers. Everything looks bad, and probably is.

Does anyone know what type of questions they will ask or how mean/intense the questions? I have NEVER been good at interviews and fear I come off as being dis-honest because I struggle for words.

You have to print out your cover letters? This is a first I heard of it. Will they be looking for this?
The reason for the meeting is stated on the letter, "obtain information to determine your entitlement to EI benefits".

I have been hoping my former contract employer would hire me again, But I hear that is not a good thing to say. Anyways, writing on this forum is kinda therapeutic. Thanks.
Apr 28, 2012
950 posts
323 upvotes
QC
Hi, I currently have an repayment arrangement with CRA/HRSDC for an Employment Insurance overpayment. Since we are in tax season, will CRA automatically apply my tax refund money towards my EI debt despite the payment arrangement ? If so, is the EI debt paid from my tax refund going to be included in the T4E slip box 26 (Overpayment recovered or repaid) so that I can deduct it from income in the 2013 tax year ?

Thanks
Jan 30, 2013
21 posts
clseea wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 8:57 pm
If you're not available for work you won't get paid
Is OK to take time off from the job search for a day here and there (wedding to go to)? Obviously you wont get paid by EI during those days.

Also, does anyone know how to do a search in just this single forum? I am sure this question has been asked before. The search button on top right searches all forums.
Feb 5, 2013
1 posts
I am not sure if this has been asked but I could not find anything at all about this online.

I have recently started receiving my EI sickness benefits, Would I be able to start a completely online course without it affecting my EI claim?
If I did enroll in this online class, would I have to answer YES to the question "Did you attend school or a training course?"
Technically, I would not be attending any school or course. I would be working on this at home, on my own schedule.
Because the issue is, I cannot work due to a mental illness, so I am not willing and able for work or school but I am going to be at home, so why not do an online course?
This does not disprove my illness.

Please let me know. Any information would be helpful. I just do not want to disqualify myself.
Feb 5, 2013
2 posts
Corbyville
In the past 52 weeks i quit 3 jobs, each to go to a new job for more money or more hours. the last job i had laid me off due to lack of work. i applied to ei and was told today that i was accepted and i would have money in the bank by friday or monday. obviously very happy and am still looking for a new job. my question is, can ei penalize me for quitting those previous jobs? i was told that i could lose 2 weeks pay, confused.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4262 posts
476 upvotes
Barrys Bay
frugal24 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 11:36 am
Everyone has been telling me not to worry. I probably am a worry wort. But I went to a rights & responsibility meeting two years ago, so I should know I have to make a log (although I dont remember much from the meeting). As for the app, I spent 5 days on it. Then a week later, I spent another 5 days on my portfolio to enlarge the skill I can offer. What worries me most, is that my search effort was mostly looking at forums on linkedin, and job boards like monster.... weak and difficult to prove. and I did not email any contacts for networking in the early going and only emailed 3 people later on. I dont have any reason for not reaching out to former co-workers. Everything looks bad, and probably is.

Does anyone know what type of questions they will ask or how mean/intense the questions? I have NEVER been good at interviews and fear I come off as being dis-honest because I struggle for words.

You have to print out your cover letters? This is a first I heard of it. Will they be looking for this?
The reason for the meeting is stated on the letter, "obtain information to determine your entitlement to EI benefits".

I have been hoping my former contract employer would hire me again, But I hear that is not a good thing to say. Anyways, writing on this forum is kinda therapeutic. Thanks.
ok you have opened more as you had rights and responsibility meetings before.

log = job applied person contacted amd outcome ( gave resume did not hear back )

You don't need to print off cover letters, but you can do it to provide some eveidence you applied for job if you have no log. I do it so i see what josb i applied online as many online ads reappear or think i never applied when in fact i did.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4262 posts
476 upvotes
Barrys Bay
frugal24 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 1:33 pm
Is OK to take time off from the job search for a day here and there (wedding to go to)? Obviously you wont get paid by EI during those days.

Also, does anyone know how to do a search in just this single forum? I am sure this question has been asked before. The search button on top right searches all forums.
Do advance search and select which specific forum to search.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
Gnodini wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 2:12 pm
I am not sure if this has been asked but I could not find anything at all about this online.

I have recently started receiving my EI sickness benefits, Would I be able to start a completely online course without it affecting my EI claim?
If I did enroll in this online class, would I have to answer YES to the question "Did you attend school or a training course?"
Technically, I would not be attending any school or course. I would be working on this at home, on my own schedule.
Because the issue is, I cannot work due to a mental illness, so I am not willing and able for work or school but I am going to be at home, so why not do an online course?
This does not disprove my illness.

Please let me know. Any information would be helpful. I just do not want to disqualify myself.
You're not supposed to take courses or work while on sick leave because you're supposed to be otherwise available for work, but is Service Canada going to find out about an online course? I doubt it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
darrenjosie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 3:38 pm
In the past 52 weeks i quit 3 jobs, each to go to a new job for more money or more hours. the last job i had laid me off due to lack of work. i applied to ei and was told today that i was accepted and i would have money in the bank by friday or monday. obviously very happy and am still looking for a new job. my question is, can ei penalize me for quitting those previous jobs? i was told that i could lose 2 weeks pay, confused.
If you were already approved you don't have anything to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
Flitox wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 1:12 pm
Hi, I currently have an repayment arrangement with CRA/HRSDC for an Employment Insurance overpayment. Since we are in tax season, will CRA automatically apply my tax refund money towards my EI debt despite the payment arrangement ? If so, is the EI debt paid from my tax refund going to be included in the T4E slip box 26 (Overpayment recovered or repaid) so that I can deduct it from income in the 2013 tax year ?

Thanks
I don't see why it wouldn't
Feb 5, 2013
2 posts
Corbyville
clseea wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 5:04 pm
If you were already approved you don't have anything to worry about.
i was approved and will receive money, but i would like to know if i am not getting paid for two weeks of three months i waited for ei. i would like to know if they can not pay me for two weeks out of that waiting period, or decrease what i would be getting because of the quits.

Here's my story: I have paid into EI for 7 years, as that is how long I have been working. I was laid off November 8th, 2012, because of a lack of work. I applied to EI November 9th, 2012. It is now February 5th, 2013, and I have yet to receive anything from them. For 7 weeks I was told by the call centre that they had an ROE that they did not. I found out they did not have that particular ROE when I called , for the fourth time, and they told me they were missing it. I submitted that ROE January 3rd. They advised they now have 21 days to recalculate and process my claim. I waited the 21 days, nothing came. I tried calling the call centre and was told "the call volume is too high at the moment and they are unable to transfer my call". I went into the service canada office and they told me there was a hold on my account and it could not be taken off by the call centre. They put in an order for a callback and I was told 1-5 business days. 5 days passed and no call and no EI. I went back into the office as i was still unable to get through to the call centre. They told me that now they have to put in a two day callback order. I then went over to the MP(Daryl Kramp's) office. They told me they had a direct line to EI and could find out what is going on. They said since they have all of the documentation they should be able to process it right away and they would call me and tell me when the money would be in my account. EI has not called and neither has the mp office. I called the MP office today and they told me, EI told them that because I quit three previous jobs in the past 52 weeks, they need to contact each one and see if what i said matches up to the employer's story as to why i quit. I left each job for a new job, for more money or more hours.

i was contacted today saying i will receive ei, but now my worry is being penalized and getting less then expected. i just want to know if they can penalize for quits.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)