• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 10:54 am
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2085 posts
109 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2012 9:52 am
Your allowable earning is 40% of your EI rate. For example, the max rate for 2011 is $467/week, so the allowable earning is $187/week. Any earning over your allowable will be deducted dollar by dollar. Here is the example on Service Canada website:

Example: Your benefit rate is $300. Your allowable is $120. For a two-week report, you worked and declared $50 in the first week and $145 in the second week. We would not deduct anything for the first week of the report because you earned less than your allowable. However, for the second week of that report we would deduct $25 because although you earned a total of $145, you were allowed to earn $120, and we only deduct the difference.

Is there any benefit to work over the 40% if working part time and paying into EI? Does this parti-time job accumulate EI hours?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3010 posts
112 upvotes
East York
Hi there,

I have a question and it's the following

I worked for x company from June 2010 until this past December....In November I got hurt on the job and took a 2 week leave of absence. I had to file a claim under WSIB, go to the doctors and follow all proper procedures...( filling all the paperwork, getting the doctor to examine me etc....) WSIB ending up paying me for the 2 weeks....Instead of returning to work on modified duty I decided to quit because they way my employer handled the situation was deplorable....They accused me of lying, and were going around telling other people false information about me....

When I gave them my two weeks I told them that I was quitting because of my injury, the way they had treated me, and because I was planning to go back to school. Around a week or 2 after I received I think what's called a "roe" form that told be I may qualify for EI.

I went online to the EI site and completed an application.

How long does it take to receive an answer? With the limited detail I gave you will I qualify?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9930 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
zzricezz wrote:
Jan 15th, 2012 4:51 am
Is there any benefit to work over the 40% if working part time and paying into EI? Does this parti-time job accumulate EI hours?

Anything you make over the 40% allowable will be deducted from your benefits. The only upside is that these additional hours you "volunteered" will be used to establish your future claim.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9930 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
Drew87 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2012 9:14 am
Hi there,

I have a question and it's the following

I worked for x company from June 2010 until this past December....In November I got hurt on the job and took a 2 week leave of absence. I had to file a claim under WSIB, go to the doctors and follow all proper procedures...( filling all the paperwork, getting the doctor to examine me etc....) WSIB ending up paying me for the 2 weeks....Instead of returning to work on modified duty I decided to quit because they way my employer handled the situation was deplorable....They accused me of lying, and were going around telling other people false information about me....

When I gave them my two weeks I told them that I was quitting because of my injury, the way they had treated me, and because I was planning to go back to school. Around a week or 2 after I received I think what's called a "roe" form that told be I may qualify for EI.

I went online to the EI site and completed an application.

How long does it take to receive an answer? With the limited detail I gave you will I qualify?

Some employers do hold a grudge against employees who filed WSIB claim (since their WSIB premium will go up). It may take a couple months since right now it's winter peak and I'm not sure any overtime is approved this year. An agent will probably call you to get additional information so he/she can make a decision on your claim.
Nov 21, 2006
45 posts
3 upvotes
I need some help because I'm not sure how this works. I last worked in August at statistics canada on a contract basis. I never filed for EI when my contract ended because I assumed I would get another job fast. Well its now January and I have yet to find a job. Is it too late to apply for EI? It says I need a Record of Employment but the deadline to get this is 5 days after the last day you worked. Am I too late?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9930 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
cp22 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 4:34 pm
I need some help because I'm not sure how this works. I last worked in August at statistics canada on a contract basis. I never filed for EI when my contract ended because I assumed I would get another job fast. Well its now January and I have yet to find a job. Is it too late to apply for EI? It says I need a Record of Employment but the deadline to get this is 5 days after the last day you worked. Am I too late?

No, there is no deadline to get ROE. The deadline is on employer's part to issue a ROE within 5 days of the last pay period ending date. It's likely your ROE is already on file. You should apply your application right now and you may still have enough hours to qualify.
Sep 24, 2006
599 posts
61 upvotes
Guelph, On
Question :razz: I have close to 1300 hours for my previous job but I quit that job one day and got hired on full time at Walmart a few days later. They are going to lay me off in two weeks and I have about 300 hours. I might be called to Walmart in mid April so I want to file for EI at the end on Jan. Is it possible to collect EI even though I quit my previous job for a better paying job.
And what is Second Careers program?
thank you
deb
Nov 21, 2006
45 posts
3 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2012 4:49 pm
No, there is no deadline to get ROE. The deadline is on employer's part to issue a ROE within 5 days of the last pay period ending date. It's likely your ROE is already on file. You should apply your application right now and you may still have enough hours to qualify.

Thank you!
Jan 17, 2012
12 posts
My wife has used up 52 weeks EI for maternity leave. She is going to work next week. However, her HR manager noticed her that she is being laid off 2 days ago by email.

As she has used all EI, she will not get regular EI.

HR manager said it is an temporary layoff, the company may call her back to work after 3 months. So she didn't get any serverance package or even earlier notice.

The company has about 30 people, and the company also layoff some other people, I think we cannot bring this to court. According to the information on Ontario EI website, the company is not required to give a notice. That really sucks. I know if the company didn't call her back, they needs to give termination pay. Just want to know if the company needs to pay serverance package for its size.
Jan 17, 2012
12 posts
Another question: will she receive termination pay if she finds an new job within 3 months?
Dec 13, 2011
7 posts
SURREY
If you collect EI for a while, but then lost interest in finding a new job, would you have to pay all the benefits back?
Dec 20, 2007
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Links or where to look on the website for the programs you can get involved with concerning starting a business while on EI? All I can find are the normal programs on the servicecanada site.

Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9930 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
SZ1101 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 4:32 pm
Another question: will she receive termination pay if she finds an new job within 3 months?

Not sure. That's between her and the employer. Typically when a temporary layoff becomes permanent layoff, there will be some sort of termination pay.

MarkBernkastel wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 8:06 pm
If you collect EI for a while, but then lost interest in finding a new job, would you have to pay all the benefits back?

No. But you won't be entitled to further benefits once you declare unavailable.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9930 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
Hemi55 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 10:54 pm
Links or where to look on the website for the programs you can get involved with concerning starting a business while on EI? All I can find are the normal programs on the servicecanada site.

Thanks

EI is not meant to subsidy one's business. EI is for those who are "seeking" a job or "getting back" to the workforce. So if your main focus is to start your own business rather than looking for a full time job, you will be deemed unavailable and no further benefits are payable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)