Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 7:32 pm
Feb 5, 2013
1 posts
Hi there. I was cut off EI back in October of 2010 as the lady who cut me off said I didn't qualify even though my claim was approved. I was told my the investigator that I would not have to repay as EI made the mistake. Well almost 2 years later I get a call from EI Collections claiming I owe them money? I had to go down to EI to find out what was going on and now they say I owe them???? After 2 years they decide this. How can this happen?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9738 posts
3585 upvotes
Calgary
darrenjosie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 3:38 pm
In the past 52 weeks i quit 3 jobs, each to go to a new job for more money or more hours. the last job i had laid me off due to lack of work. i applied to ei and was told today that i was accepted and i would have money in the bank by friday or monday. obviously very happy and am still looking for a new job. my question is, can ei penalize me for quitting those previous jobs? i was told that i could lose 2 weeks pay, confused.
you have to serve a two week waiting period, just like everyone else. This just means you don't get paid for the first two weeks.
Jan 30, 2013
21 posts
I have an interview with a Integrity Services Investigator next week. I just notices on my job log that there were several days over the last 2 months I had Dr appointments (taking wife to Dr, taking mom to Xrays, etc.). Is it safe to call EI and tell them about it, so I may pay them back for the days not looking for work? Or better to tell the investigator?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
darrenjosie wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 5:12 pm
i was approved and will receive money, but i would like to know if i am not getting paid for two weeks of three months i waited for ei. i would like to know if they can not pay me for two weeks out of that waiting period, or decrease what i would be getting because of the quits.

Here's my story: I have paid into EI for 7 years, as that is how long I have been working. I was laid off November 8th, 2012, because of a lack of work. I applied to EI November 9th, 2012. It is now February 5th, 2013, and I have yet to receive anything from them. For 7 weeks I was told by the call centre that they had an ROE that they did not. I found out they did not have that particular ROE when I called , for the fourth time, and they told me they were missing it. I submitted that ROE January 3rd. They advised they now have 21 days to recalculate and process my claim. I waited the 21 days, nothing came. I tried calling the call centre and was told "the call volume is too high at the moment and they are unable to transfer my call". I went into the service canada office and they told me there was a hold on my account and it could not be taken off by the call centre. They put in an order for a callback and I was told 1-5 business days. 5 days passed and no call and no EI. I went back into the office as i was still unable to get through to the call centre. They told me that now they have to put in a two day callback order. I then went over to the MP(Daryl Kramp's) office. They told me they had a direct line to EI and could find out what is going on. They said since they have all of the documentation they should be able to process it right away and they would call me and tell me when the money would be in my account. EI has not called and neither has the mp office. I called the MP office today and they told me, EI told them that because I quit three previous jobs in the past 52 weeks, they need to contact each one and see if what i said matches up to the employer's story as to why i quit. I left each job for a new job, for more money or more hours.

i was contacted today saying i will receive ei, but now my worry is being penalized and getting less then expected. i just want to know if they can penalize for quits.
If you had just cause for quitting, there's no problem. If you quit to take new jobs that were more (or the same) in terms of permanency and pay, you won't have any issue at all. If you quit a permanent full time job to take a part time job or a short term contract, you wouldn't have just cause.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
frugal24 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 9:57 pm
I have an interview with a Integrity Services Investigator next week. I just notices on my job log that there were several days over the last 2 months I had Dr appointments (taking wife to Dr, taking mom to Xrays, etc.). Is it safe to call EI and tell them about it, so I may pay them back for the days not looking for work? Or better to tell the investigator?
Are they going to somehow find out? I doubt it. It's not like you need a log of every single hour of every single day, they just want consistent and legitimate job search efforts
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
Sheriann wrote:
Feb 6th, 2013 5:45 pm
Hi there. I was cut off EI back in October of 2010 as the lady who cut me off said I didn't qualify even though my claim was approved. I was told my the investigator that I would not have to repay as EI made the mistake. Well almost 2 years later I get a call from EI Collections claiming I owe them money? I had to go down to EI to find out what was going on and now they say I owe them???? After 2 years they decide this. How can this happen?
They have hundreds of thousands of claims to audit and it can take years to get to audit things properly
Feb 24, 2008
46 posts
2 upvotes
Hello OP, I'm hoping you could help me with my question.
I know someone who used to work 2 jobs at, let's call it ABC and DEF company. He retired from ABC and is now getting monthly pension from them. He is still employed as a full-time employee with irregular hours at DEF. However, DEF company will be going through a phase where he will hardly get any work hours, if at all. His co-workers will apply for EI while DEF company go through this phase. He is wondering if he is eligible for EI for those few months where he will not be able to work at DEF, as he is receiving a monthly pension from his previous job - ABC. He has been working at DEF company for almost 10 years and the mgmt has told them that the lack of hours will only last for a few months.
I've done some research and it seems like he can get EI even while receiving pension from a private company. But there seems to be restrictions, which is confusing. Am I right about him being eligible for EI? And can you let me know about any exceptions or restrictions? Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
baruray wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 1:09 am
I know someone who used to work 2 jobs at, let's call it ABC and DEF company. He retired from ABC and is now getting monthly pension from them. He is still employed as a full-time employee with irregular hours at DEF. However, DEF company will be going through a phase where he will hardly get any work hours, if at all. His co-workers will apply for EI while DEF company go through this phase. He is wondering if he is eligible for EI for those few months where he will not be able to work at DEF, as he is receiving a monthly pension from his previous job - ABC. He has been working at DEF company for almost 10 years and the mgmt has told them that the lack of hours will only last for a few months.
I've done some research and it seems like he can get EI even while receiving pension from a private company. But there seems to be restrictions, which is confusing. Am I right about him being eligible for EI? And can you let me know about any exceptions or restrictions? Thank you.
As long as he has the hours to qualify and experiences an interruption of earnings, he'll qualify. His pension may be deemed earnings, so he may experience a reduced EI benefit rate, but that would be determined during the calculation after he applies.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9738 posts
3585 upvotes
Calgary
baruray wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 1:09 am
When did he start receiving pension from ABC and when will he stop working for DEF? Dates are important and can make all the difference.
Oct 12, 2008
950 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
how soon can you apply for ei?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
pecson wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 11:20 am
how soon can you apply for ei?
When an interruption of earnings has occured - 7 days of no work or earnings.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9738 posts
3585 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 11:46 am
When an interruption of earnings has occured - 7 days of no work or earnings.
To add to this, if your last day of work is tomorrow (Friday), you can apply online tomorrow. If there is no IOE (Interruption of Earning), your claim will get cancelled.
Jan 30, 2013
21 posts
clseea wrote:
Feb 5th, 2013 8:57 pm
If you're not available for work you won't get paid
I have an interview with a Integity Service Investigator next week. As all my post have aluded, Ihave been worried about how to handle it. Comming clean....

For the last 2 months, I used the time to move my wife's business and did a little work at the business (unpaid). My log is filled with searches on Monster.,ca and linkedin forum search and the occational resume send out, and learning an application important to my occupation(5 days) and work on my portfolio (5 days). What is the best way to handle this? Tell the investigator of everything and take the concequences (pay-back +%50, penalty, dientitlement) I want to avoid implicating my wife, as it is my fault.
I fear a full investigation. When do they decide to do that anyways?
Oct 12, 2008
950 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
if i do apply for ei, does this mean i cannot look for a job at the same time? as in it has to be one or the other?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9738 posts
3585 upvotes
Calgary
pecson wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 1:32 pm
if i do apply for ei, does this mean i cannot look for a job at the same time? as in it has to be one or the other?
You have to be actively looking for full time work to stay on EI.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)