Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately a lot of moms are in the same boat now too. I sympathize with you as my sister could just as easily be in your position. I don't think it's right from a policy standpoint to judge the choice to take maternity benefits as second-class by removing a safety net for the unemployed.

This may only be a tiny consolation but I'll point out that in the case of labour market services funded for EI recipients, you remain eligible for 3 years after your EI claim ends. So you may be eligible to get a subsidy to help you get hired into your next job, or for funding to upgrade skills. These services are provided through offices run by the provinces.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
queerasmoi wrote: Unfortunately a lot of moms are in the same boat now too. I sympathize with you as my sister could just as easily be in your position. I don't think it's right from a policy standpoint to judge the choice to take maternity benefits as second-class by removing a safety net for the unemployed.

This may only be a tiny consolation but I'll point out that in the case of labour market services funded for EI recipients, you remain eligible for 3 years after your EI claim ends. So you may be eligible to get a subsidy to help you get hired into your next job, or for funding to upgrade skills. These services are provided through offices run by the provinces.
Second class? Come on.
I guess if they increase premium rates for everyone that has a kid then you might be able to somehow figure out a way to "fix" that issue. I don't see how they can extend EI without increasing premium rates specifically for that segment. But then they'll cry foul there I'm sure.
I don't have stats on how many people are affected by that situation, but my guess from experience is it's far from being "a lot ".
May 8, 2013
11 posts
Hello. I just had a question about after sickness benefits are completed and applying for regular benefits.

Ok, I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. I worked for six months at a call center job and quit because I could not handle the stress and panic attacks I constantly would encounter. I got my doctor to sign a note saying that I was not able to work due to a medical condition. I was approved for the 15 weeks of sickness benefits. My doctor is trying a new medicine for my depression and increasing my dosage for my anxiety. So, if I am able to return to work if this course of medical treatment is successful, am I able to claim regular benefits? And if so, can I claim, Health adversely affected - on convincing and credible explanations from the claimant as just cause for my quitting? I understand I would need a note from my doctor saying I can re-enter the workforce.

I've been sent a letter saying that after I've received my sickness benefits, they will not pay any regular benefits, because I voluntarily left without just cause (although, I think its 'Health adversely affected - on convincing and credible explanations from the claimant, may be just cause). I also got another letter saying, "disqualification deferred because of special benefits." Can you tell me what this means? Do I have to request a reconsideration for regular benefits? Because the date when it was communicated to me was May 1st and if I have to request a reconsideration, if don't want to be late....

I'm also interested in becoming self employed, I've got qualifications for web design and graphic design. I just need some training in managing a business/bookkeeping, etc. Are there programs I can apply for with Employment Insurance?

Thanks for any help.
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote: Second class? Come on.
I guess if they increase premium rates for everyone that has a kid then you might be able to somehow figure out a way to "fix" that issue. I don't see how they can extend EI without increasing premium rates specifically for that segment. But then they'll cry foul there I'm sure.
I don't have stats on how many people are affected by that situation, but my guess from experience is it's far from being "a lot ".
The EI system has run surpluses for years. It's funded enough to handle consecutive maternity and unemployment claims.

Second-class is absolutely the appropriate term. As a matter of public policy maternity leave should protect a parent's right to have the same opportunities after leave that they would if they'd never taken the leave at all.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
queerasmoi wrote: The EI system has run surpluses for years. It's funded enough to handle consecutive maternity and unemployment claims.

Second-class is absolutely the appropriate term. As a matter of public policy maternity leave should protect a parent's right to have the same opportunities after leave that they would if they'd never taken the leave at all.
Again, show me how many people this affects to warrant sweeping legislative change.
You need to pay into an insurance program to get benefits. You're not paying into it while you're on leave. So unless you manipulate premiums to cover expectant parents that may be laid off after their leave, it's not an insurance program, it's a handout to a small small minority. Dipping into whatever surplus there may be doesn't make sense.

Taking leave always affects people. You're out of the workforce for a year so you're not going to have the same opportunities regardless.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
illogic420wpg wrote: Hello. I just had a question about after sickness benefits are completed and applying for regular benefits.

Ok, I suffer from depression and anxiety disorder. I worked for six months at a call center job and quit because I could not handle the stress and panic attacks I constantly would encounter. I got my doctor to sign a note saying that I was not able to work due to a medical condition. I was approved for the 15 weeks of sickness benefits. My doctor is trying a new medicine for my depression and increasing my dosage for my anxiety. So, if I am able to return to work if this course of medical treatment is successful, am I able to claim regular benefits? And if so, can I claim, Health adversely affected - on convincing and credible explanations from the claimant as just cause for my quitting? I understand I would need a note from my doctor saying I can re-enter the workforce.

I've been sent a letter saying that after I've received my sickness benefits, they will not pay any regular benefits, because I voluntarily left without just cause (although, I think its 'Health adversely affected - on convincing and credible explanations from the claimant, may be just cause). I also got another letter saying, "disqualification deferred because of special benefits." Can you tell me what this means? Do I have to request a reconsideration for regular benefits? Because the date when it was communicated to me was May 1st and if I have to request a reconsideration, if don't want to be late....

I'm also interested in becoming self employed, I've got qualifications for web design and graphic design. I just need some training in managing a business/bookkeeping, etc. Are there programs I can apply for with Employment Insurance?

Thanks for any help.
As for self-employed, probably not. EI is meant to help you return to the workforce, and not to subsidy one's own business.

You can appeal the decision. When you initially applied, did you apply for sickness or regular benefits? If you only apply for sickness benefits, it seems a bit out of place an agent would deny your regular benefits. If this is indeed the case, ask for appeal. You can to submit the appeal via written request, and bring it to your local Service Canada Centre.

Here is the appeal form http://www.rhdcc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/e ... =sc&ln=eng. Fill out as much information as possible. As you stated, you have no choice but to quit due to the adverse effect on your health, and now your doctor has cleared your anxiety issues, and you can return to the workforce and therefore availability is not a problem.

As for the reasons for separation, you have it spot on.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote: The EI system has run surpluses for years. It's funded enough to handle consecutive maternity and unemployment claims.
There was a time, back in the 90s or early 2000s, when EI ran with a surplus, except that surplus has been "transferred" to the other coffers. EI has ran significant deficit since the great recession, and even to this date it's in deep red.

And please stop posting irrelevant topics. Clseea, myself and others spent a lot of time answering questions from claimants and would be claimants, and it's frustrating when people start arguing about policies and merits of the EI program that's way outside of our paygrade. If you feel the program is flawed or unfair, contact your MP or start a petition.
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
True it's beyond your scope. I'm not asking you to fix it of course. :) Both my MP and my sister's have spoken out on this issue so they probably don't need any more encouragement.
illogic420wpg wrote: I'm also interested in becoming self employed, I've got qualifications for web design and graphic design. I just need some training in managing a business/bookkeeping, etc. Are there programs I can apply for with Employment Insurance?

Thanks for any help.
May I assume from the "wpg" in your handle that you are in MB?
b166er1337 wrote: As for self-employed, probably not. EI is meant to help you return to the workforce, and not to subsidy one's own business.
Self-employment assistance is part of the scope of labour market services funded for anyone who's had EI in the last years, delivered through the provinces. Here is the info for MB:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/employment/jobs_careers.html
http://www.gov.mb.ca/employment/pdf/self_employ.pdf

If you've already been on EI sick leave, then you should be eligible for this.
May 8, 2013
11 posts
b166er1337 wrote: As for self-employed, probably not. EI is meant to help you return to the workforce, and not to subsidy one's own business.

You can appeal the decision. When you initially applied, did you apply for sickness or regular benefits? If you only apply for sickness benefits, it seems a bit out of place an agent would deny your regular benefits. If this is indeed the case, ask for appeal. You can to submit the appeal via written request, and bring it to your local Service Canada Centre.

Here is the appeal form http://www.rhdcc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/e ... =sc&ln=eng. Fill out as much information as possible. As you stated, you have no choice but to quit due to the adverse effect on your health, and now your doctor has cleared your anxiety issues, and you can return to the workforce and therefore availability is not a problem.

As for the reasons for separation, you have it spot on.
Thanks for the info. I originally applied for regular benefits with my doctors note, but the processing agent insisted that I go on sickness benefits. But she mentioned that it would have an effect on future regular benefits (I would have to get a doctors note that clears me to return to the workforce). So, my letter that says, "Disqualification deferred because of special benefits," means....?
May 8, 2013
11 posts
queerasmoi wrote: True it's beyond your scope. I'm not asking you to fix it of course. :) Both my MP and my sister's have spoken out on this issue so they probably don't need any more encouragement.

May I assume from the "wpg" in your handle that you are in MB?

Self-employment assistance is part of the scope of labour market services funded for anyone who's had EI in the last years, delivered through the provinces. Here is the info for MB:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/employment/jobs_careers.html
http://www.gov.mb.ca/employment/pdf/self_employ.pdf

If you've already been on EI sick leave, then you should be eligible for this.
Great, thanks for the info. Yes, from Winnipeg. I'll do some additional research into this. So, concerning self - employment programs. Does it matter that it is sick benefits rather than regular? I'm crossing my fingers about getting regular benefits after my sick benefits are completed, and if my course of treatment will indeed help me to re-join the workforce.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
illogic420wpg wrote: Thanks for the info. I originally applied for regular benefits with my doctors note, but the processing agent insisted that I go on sickness benefits. But she mentioned that it would have an effect on future regular benefits (I would have to get a doctors note that clears me to return to the workforce). So, my letter that says, "Disqualification deferred because of special benefits," means....?
The reason for separation (why you quit) doesn't matter when you're collecting special benefits (sick/maternity etc). So if you applied for regular initially but the processing agent changed things to sickness benefits, the disqualification gets deferred until you try to get regular benefits. When/if you try to get regular benefits, the conversion will need to be adjudicated to determine if you had just cause to quit your old job. If you have a doctor's note recommending you quit, you should have no problem with the conversion... provided you're now able to work full time.
Oct 4, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
CAMBRIDGE
hi again thx clseea...my claim was reactivated back to march 31....so i filled my earnings reports for 5 weeks and stated that i started work on may 6th, and now my claim is back under review....is this why the system got confused because i started work???...should i still be entitled to my missed weeks work??
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
villager82 wrote: hi again thx clseea...my claim was reactivated back to march 31....so i filled my earnings reports for 5 weeks and stated that i started work on may 6th, and now my claim is back under review....is this why the system got confused because i started work???...should i still be entitled to my missed weeks work??
No it shouldn't get confused over that. Must be something else. Why did you stop working this time?
Oct 4, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
CAMBRIDGE
I had to leave a job march 31 because lack of experience, and the start time was impossible for me starting at 3:30am and it was affecting my performance...So I was off from march 31 to may 6th when I got this new job. The job I started on the 6th was only temporary but i still had to say that i was working in my statement so it said i didnt need to fill out anymore reports cause i had found work...im gonna call tmrw...i just think its riduclous that they can take another 3 weeks to 'review' my claim....review what?? am i not entitled to the 5 weeks i was reactivated for missed time?? even if i worked the week of may 6th??
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
villager82 wrote: I had to leave a job march 31 because lack of experience, and the start time was impossible for me starting at 3:30am and it was affecting my performance...So I was off from march 31 to may 6th when I got this new job. The job I started on the 6th was only temporary but i still had to say that i was working in my statement so it said i didnt need to fill out anymore reports cause i had found work...im gonna call tmrw...i just think its riduclous that they can take another 3 weeks to 'review' my claim....review what?? am i not entitled to the 5 weeks i was reactivated for missed time?? even if i worked the week of may 6th??
So you quit on your own?
Oct 4, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
CAMBRIDGE
ya I quit on my own, but for valid, and fair reason...it said my claim was reactivated back to march 31, and my service canada accnt said that i could fill out the reports dating back to the 31st...when i filled out the reports for the 5 weeks i wasnt working i indicated that i had started working another job different from the one i had previously quit.... the job i started may 6th was a temp job, but i had to say on my repot that i found work as thats the only option...it said i dont need to fill out anymore reports as I have found work...my question is: after i filled out my reports for the 5 weeks does that not mean that it shouldve been processed?? i think its because i stated that i found work on the 6th?? but not sure.....im gonna call them!!! thx again!!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
villager82 wrote: ya I quit on my own, but for valid, and fair reason...it said my claim was reactivated back to march 31, and my service canada accnt said that i could fill out the reports dating back to the 31st...when i filled out the reports for the 5 weeks i wasnt working i indicated that i had started working another job different from the one i had previously quit.... the job i started may 6th was a temp job, but i had to say on my repot that i found work as thats the only option...it said i dont need to fill out anymore reports as I have found work...my question is: after i filled out my reports for the 5 weeks does that not mean that it shouldve been processed?? i think its because i stated that i found work on the 6th?? but not sure.....im gonna call them!!! thx again!!
What's the valid and fair reason for quitting? What alternatives to quitting did you pursue? The issue appears to be that you quit your job. The reason for quitting needs to be adjudicated prior to you collecting any other benefits. Starting work on may 6th shouldn't create a delay, so it needs to be the quitting issue.
Jun 4, 2007
837 posts
206 upvotes
I tried searching this thread but it's so long. I apologize in advance if this has been covered. My husband has been an independant contractor for about 18 months, they pay him gross salary with no deductions. His contract has just ended. Prior to this position, he has always been paid net with all deductions. Will he qualify for EI?
Oct 4, 2012
14 posts
1 upvote
CAMBRIDGE
i was in over my head at the job...i was doing work that i didnt feel comfortable doing...basically the job required more skill then i had to offer...it was a contract position and i didnt feel like i was a long term fit there. no other positions were available to me, as most of them require training...also for the travel 40 minute commute and the start time 3:30am it was incredibly hard to adjust to such a crazy schedule...I will call and speak with someone tmrw...I know quitting wasnt the best option, but i was and have been in pursuit of a position that would be a better fit for me....the job also caused me stress and anxiety just tryin to keep up with demand, and i felt as though if affected my performance...during my employment i was and have been applying to better suited jobs for myself....see what EI doesnt realize is that if you take a job it doesnt mean your set for life..some people take whatever job they can so theyre not sucking off the system like myself...i jumped into something i wasnt best suited for, and now thats my problem because i took a job to get off EI, and it wasnt for me?? im doin my best to find full time employent !!! i was laid off from a job i loved and would have never quit and still have weeks left from that claim....it doesnt matter anything that i quit this last job, i still have hours on a legitimate claim....they review it, and take as much time as they can so people are forced to have to take whatever work comes first and work somewhere not of choosing, but forced back into a minium wage paying job...its pretty sad!! sorry forthe rant clseea i do appreciate your feedback :)
Sep 29, 2009
706 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
illogic420wpg wrote: Great, thanks for the info. Yes, from Winnipeg. I'll do some additional research into this. So, concerning self - employment programs. Does it matter that it is sick benefits rather than regular? I'm crossing my fingers about getting regular benefits after my sick benefits are completed, and if my course of treatment will indeed help me to re-join the workforce.
I believe you're eligible regardless of the reason you had "EI attachment" (the term they use) whether it's unemployment, maternity or sickness. The case managers at the organizations which deliver these services know all about the EI rules and they can tell you in more detail.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)