• Dec 6th, 2019 7:37 am
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 12:54 am
Claim what?
I don't know much about the EI side but I am certified in Payroll...

If you were being paid as an independent contractor (ie: receiving cheques with no taxes/CPP/EI deductions), then the following will occur:

1. You will not receive a T4 and will need to claim on your own;
2. You will need to claim the money on your taxes and will need to pay taxes on it;
3. If you were not independently paying for CPP/Ei as a self-employed individual, then I am fairly certain you cannot claim EI benefits.

However there is a program in place you can start paying into and it takes (I believe) a year of EI contributions before you can start to claim.

I hope this helps, as I think this is what you were asking about.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
cm99camper wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 3:48 am
I don't know much about the EI side but I am certified in Payroll...

If you were being paid as an independent contractor (ie: receiving cheques with no taxes/CPP/EI deductions), then the following will occur:

1. You will not receive a T4 and will need to claim on your own;
2. You will need to claim the money on your taxes and will need to pay taxes on it;
3. If you were not independently paying for CPP/Ei as a self-employed individual, then I am fairly certain you cannot claim EI benefits.

However there is a program in place you can start paying into and it takes (I believe) a year of EI contributions before you can start to claim.

I hope this helps, as I think this is what you were asking about.
To add, if the earnings weren't insurable (meaning you weren't being deducted EI premiums etc), you won't qualify.
The self employment initiative is only for sick/maternity/parental/compassionate care benefits, not for regular. You're right about having to pay into the self employment initiative for at least a year first though.
Feb 12, 2012
1 posts
SAINTE-GENEVIEVE
Thanks in advance for all your help!

My question:
After 4.5 years of work with the same company. The company is now moving to another location. I don't have a car and it would take me 1.5 hours (one way) with public transportation to get there. I am looking for a closer job but meanwhile am I qualified for EI? is that a just cause?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4023 upvotes
Calgary
pierre2000 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 5:33 pm
Thanks in advance for all your help!

My question:
After 4.5 years of work with the same company. The company is now moving to another location. I don't have a car and it would take me 1.5 hours (one way) with public transportation to get there. I am looking for a closer job but meanwhile am I qualified for EI? is that a just cause?
To be honest, 1.5 hour one-way commute, while is long, is not out of the ordinary for many people. If it's a 3 hour one-way commute, definitely you have just cause.

If the commute time is only 1.5 hours each way, I guess it's 50/50 it will get denied.
Feb 7, 2013
2 posts
Does EI call a part-time employer even if it was a one-time stint? Is there any forms I would have to fill out besides talking to an agent and reporting the income?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
savingsplease wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 8:42 pm
Does EI call a part-time employer even if it was a one-time stint? Is there any forms I would have to fill out besides talking to an agent and reporting the income?
What do you mean by one time stint? You worked one shift and quit/got dismissed?
Feb 7, 2013
2 posts
clseea wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 1:52 am
What do you mean by one time stint? You worked one shift and quit/got dismissed?
It was just a one time reffing thing for a pickup league. I already told the agent and they said the money will be deducted in 30 days. Not sure what else I have to do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
savingsplease wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 12:45 pm
It was just a one time reffing thing for a pickup league. I already told the agent and they said the money will be deducted in 30 days. Not sure what else I have to do.
Oh ok. Nothing else then if you already told them. Chances are they won't call
Sep 27, 2012
4 posts
NORTH YORK
I have filed an appeal to the Umpire.

I’ve learned from the website http://www.ae-ei.gc.ca/eng/umpire_appeal.shtml that the EI Commission is always represented by a lawyer. I've also learned that if I cannot attend the hearing, the EI Commission will also not appear in front of the judge and my case will be decided by the judge "on the record."

I understand that it's important for me to attend the hearing before the Umpire so I can give my explanation. However, unlike the EI Commission, I do not have a lawyer to represent me. Would it be better for me not to attend the hearing so I don’t have to fight against a lawyer? Would love to hear your insight. thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4023 upvotes
Calgary
12swpt wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 2:43 pm

I’ve learned from the website http://www.ae-ei.gc.ca/eng/umpire_appeal.shtml that the EI Commission is always represented by a lawyer. I've also learned that if I cannot attend the hearing, the EI Commission will also not appear in front of the judge and my case will be decided by the judge "on the record."

I understand that it's important for me to attend the hearing before the Umpire so I can give my explanation. However, unlike the EI Commission, I do not have a lawyer to represent me. Would it be better for me not to attend the hearing so I don’t have to fight against a lawyer? What love to hear your insight. thanks!
Why don't you tell us about what happened first?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4269 posts
482 upvotes
Barrys Bay
12swpt wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 2:43 pm

I understand that it's important for me to attend the hearing before the Umpire so I can give my explanation. However, unlike the EI Commission, I do not have a lawyer to represent me. Would it be better for me not to attend the hearing so I don’t have to fight against a lawyer? What love to hear your insight. thanks!
Do you understand that you filed with UMPIRE everything in case will become public and can set new grounds for others. You are wasting EI's and governmenst $ by not attending, as UMPIRE can decide on decision presented via lawyer for EI versus and commenst or concerns you arose by filing. Albeit UPIRE coudl in fact rule in your favour as well if you don;t show.

Going this high you usually should had consulted a lawyer to act pro-bonno. As decision can create an unroar and more appeals due to decision.

Without knowing your case, no one can really comment.

Yes many have court cases with or without lawyers, if you can represent yourself and ask questions, there is no reason you cannot defend yourself, but to ask for an appeal and scared cause they have lawyer and backing off, is just plain stupidity ( my opinion only ). What did you honestly expect when appealing to umpire, they just aitomatically change decision and outcome....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
^
Lol.... how does that help?????
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4269 posts
482 upvotes
Barrys Bay
clseea wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 11:08 pm
^
Lol.... how does that help?????
Stated within Without knowing your case, no one can really comment. Only way someone can help them.
Jan 30, 2013
21 posts
Are you allowed to travel outside of the country during the 2 week waiting period, after your job ends and your EI begins? Do we report this period? I dont remember reporting this period, or reporting that I traveled to the US.

3 days after my job finished, I may have went for a day trip on a sunday and came back on Monday 12:30am. The monday is still during the waiting period.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
frugal24 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:44 pm
Are you allowed to travel outside of the country during the waiting period, after your job ends and your EI begins?

3 days after my job finished, I may have went for a day trip on a sunday and came back on Monday 12:30am. The monday is still during the waiting period.
Weekends don't matter

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)