• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Dec 20, 2007
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 11:58 am
EI is not meant to subsidy one's business. EI is for those who are "seeking" a job or "getting back" to the workforce. So if your main focus is to start your own business rather than looking for a full time job, you will be deemed unavailable and no further benefits are payable.

Not really what I asked. My GF is layed off and went to a meeting at one of the offices where an EI associate explained that there were over 20 programs she could get involved in? The lady said they could all be found on the website. We have looked, can't find them.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
Hemi55 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 1:42 pm
Not really what I asked. My GF is layed off and went to a meeting at one of the offices where an EI associate explained that there were over 20 programs she could get involved in? The lady said they could all be found on the website. We have looked, can't find them.

The most obvious one is Second Career program. You can get approved trainings while receiving EI. During the training you won't have to be looking for jobs and you still get paid. I'm not familiar with other programs so can't help you on this one. The Service Canada website is hard to navigate and some of the information there is outdated.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Dec 12, 2010
242 posts
66 upvotes
Also the majority of these programs are provincially run not federally. The one in particular you may be thinking of is the Ontario Self Employment Benefit Program http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employees/ ... yment.html. I would also check the rest of the MTCU website as that is where programs and service providers will be listed.

b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 1:47 pm
The most obvious one is Second Career program. You can get approved trainings while receiving EI. During the training you won't have to be looking for jobs and you still get paid. I'm not familiar with other programs so can't help you on this one. The Service Canada website is hard to navigate and some of the information there is outdated.
Dec 20, 2007
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks, its also not about her continuing to receive EI. If she gets help with business funding then there would be no need for EI. She's looking at the whole situation as an opportunity. I'll send her the links and info now.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
SZ1101 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2012 4:08 pm
My wife has used up 52 weeks EI for maternity leave. She is going to work next week. However, her HR manager noticed her that she is being laid off 2 days ago by email.

As she has used all EI, she will not get regular EI.

HR manager said it is an temporary layoff, the company may call her back to work after 3 months. So she didn't get any serverance package or even earlier notice.

The company has about 30 people, and the company also layoff some other people, I think we cannot bring this to court. According to the information on Ontario EI website, the company is not required to give a notice. That really sucks. I know if the company didn't call her back, they needs to give termination pay. Just want to know if the company needs to pay serverance package for its size.

They may if the layoff becomes permanent. This is a labour standards question. Not EI.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1283 posts
71 upvotes
What happens if you work PT or take a course during the 2 weeks waiting period?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
jjboy wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 4:44 pm
What happens if you work PT or take a course during the 2 weeks waiting period?

All the earnings (allowable earnings don't apply in the waiting period) will be deducted from your first EI payment. As for part time courses you should be fine.
Jan 8, 2012
3 posts
MARKHAM
Hi, I am getting EI for another a few months and have just started school through Second Career. I don't know;
a. how to report
b. will Service Canada reduce my benefit
c. since SC doesn't pay me any living cost because I am on EI now, can I ask for an extension

I was looking for a part time job, but the school counselor suggested not because this program needs to attend school 6 hours a day and study at least 3 hours at home.
It would be very appreciated if you answer my question ASAP because if I can not find a way to get money I HAVE TO quit school before finishing my first week.
Dec 13, 2011
7 posts
SURREY
One more question.. If I applied for a few jobs, but I didn't keep track of them till now, and I have about 12 of them that's trackable, would I be okay in case they randomly pull me over? I used to make 15 dollars, and now I'm just scrambling to get any job at all. Even a min wage one. Been on EI since mid Oct till now. Would I get a bit of leeway since Service Canada was so slow in processing payments???
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
yaranman wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:42 pm
Hi, I am getting EI for another a few months and have just started school through Second Career. I don't know;
a. how to report
b. will Service Canada reduce my benefit
c. since SC doesn't pay me any living cost because I am on EI now, can I ask for an extension

I was looking for a part time job, but the school counselor suggested not because this program needs to attend school 6 hours a day and study at least 3 hours at home.
It would be very appreciated if you answer my question ASAP because if I can not find a way to get money I HAVE TO quit school before finishing my first week.

A) Report the training; Stating you are on approved training and provide documentation. Your claim *may* be put on hold for an investigation to be conducted.
B) No.
C) No.

If you can find time for a pt job, then go for it. Weekend jobs seems fine in your situation.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
MarkBernkastel wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 5:07 am
One more question.. If I applied for a few jobs, but I didn't keep track of them till now, and I have about 12 of them that's trackable, would I be okay in case they randomly pull me over? I used to make 15 dollars, and now I'm just scrambling to get any job at all. Even a min wage one. Been on EI since mid Oct till now. Would I get a bit of leeway since Service Canada was so slow in processing payments???

You should be fine. Just keep tracks on all future job applications.
Dec 13, 2011
7 posts
SURREY
Oh dear. "Your previous report has not yet been processed as we require more information from you. If you have not already done so, you must call the Telephone Reporting Service at 1-800-531-7555, Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Select option zero for assistance."

I honestly told them I'm back to school for 12 hours a week, everything is done Monday thru Thursday from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, I'm not giving those courses up, but those hours are out of my usual work time of 9am-5pm workday. Those courses are highschool level for 2 courses.

What other information could they want? I couldn't reach them, they were busy.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
MarkBernkastel wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 7:41 pm
Oh dear. "Your previous report has not yet been processed as we require more information from you. If you have not already done so, you must call the Telephone Reporting Service at 1-800-531-7555, Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Select option zero for assistance."

I honestly told them I'm back to school for 12 hours a week, everything is done Monday thru Thursday from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, I'm not giving those courses up, but those hours are out of my usual work time of 9am-5pm workday. Those courses are highschool level for 2 courses.

What other information could they want? I couldn't reach them, they were busy.

Don't worry about it. It just require human intervention. Based on this information an agent will just review your file and process your claim. If the agent is trained properly, you shouldn't receive any phone call for further fact finding. However it may take a month or so before your file is processed.
Jan 19, 2012
1 posts
GROSSE ISLE
Hi I have a cpl of questions

I applied for regular benefits on Dec 14 2011 with 2 electronically filed ROE's the First one had 762 insurable hours and states the i was dismissed and to call the GM for information so i have no idea what the reasons he would give other then that we did not get along and i just didn't fit in to the company as i showed up every day and did what was asked no matter how stupid the requests where.
I was at this point in negotiations with my current employer and was about to quit anyway and take this new job which i started 5 days after i left the before mentioned company.

The second ROE was has 1419 of insurable hours on it and the reason for leaving was a shortage of work seasonal and i will be returning there in the spring time.

I was wondering if u see an problems with my being dismissed from the first place causing any problems with my claim???

also it has been almost 6 weeks and i have heard nothing bout my claim , When i call service Canada it is an exercise in futility i have requested a call back which was supposed to take 5 days and never received one so i called again to day and requested a call again they said to wait 2 more days for that call back after talking to a call center supervisor she told me the only notes in the computer where made 2 days ago which i would assume to mean some one is finally working on it. Also i managed to get a number for Client Satisfaction to which i was told they were not allowed to tell anyone about it, only if you specifically asked for it. but i have no idea what they can or will do and they said it would take 5 days for a call back from them . is there anything else i can do to get them to move a little faster??

I have emailed my MP but i no idea if he can do anything

Thanks
Brian

ps they are sure are rude at the call center
Jan 20, 2012
4 posts
MAPLE RIDGE
Hi, great idea for a thread. Im sure its helped many people, and I was hoping you could help me out with some info...

I was on EI in B.C. for 28 weeks ending sept 2011. I still have not found a job and have decided to go back to school.
The course is a recognized apprenticeship program. I have enough money for tuition (barely)... Would I be able to get paid
from EI while attending school? from my understanding its possible, but I dont know for sure and the anticipation is killing me.

My course starts in April, If I am eligable for EI do you know when will I recieve a student # so I can apply.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)