Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 12:09 pm
Jan 20, 2012
1 posts
VICTORIA
I have a serious problem I think. I am entitled to receive EI benefits until mid Oct 2012. I recently cashed in my Canada Pensions fund to pay off some debts and stay above water not realizing this would effect my EI benefits. I was under the impression that I claim the money as other monies received in my EI reports and that money would be deducted out of my weekly entitlement. I didn't realize I could lose my benefits.
Is this considered an income? Will my benefits be "interrupted"? It's a considerable amount of money. The only thing the EI office could tell me was that I would get a call back within 5 to 7 business days; I need an answer NOW!!
Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
Rankin37 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2012 8:49 pm
Hi I have a cpl of questions

I applied for regular benefits on Dec 14 2011 with 2 electronically filed ROE's the First one had 762 insurable hours and states the i was dismissed and to call the GM for information so i have no idea what the reasons he would give other then that we did not get along and i just didn't fit in to the company as i showed up every day and did what was asked no matter how stupid the requests where.
I was at this point in negotiations with my current employer and was about to quit anyway and take this new job which i started 5 days after i left the before mentioned company.

The second ROE was has 1419 of insurable hours on it and the reason for leaving was a shortage of work seasonal and i will be returning there in the spring time.

I was wondering if u see an problems with my being dismissed from the first place causing any problems with my claim???

also it has been almost 6 weeks and i have heard nothing bout my claim , When i call service Canada it is an exercise in futility i have requested a call back which was supposed to take 5 days and never received one so i called again to day and requested a call again they said to wait 2 more days for that call back after talking to a call center supervisor she told me the only notes in the computer where made 2 days ago which i would assume to mean some one is finally working on it. Also i managed to get a number for Client Satisfaction to which i was told they were not allowed to tell anyone about it, only if you specifically asked for it. but i have no idea what they can or will do and they said it would take 5 days for a call back from them . is there anything else i can do to get them to move a little faster??

I have emailed my MP but i no idea if he can do anything

Thanks
Brian

ps they are sure are rude at the call center

Hi Brian, you can visit your MP's office and complain in person. It's more effective.

As for your claim, there is only a gap of 5 days between your current and the last job. Even if it's approved no benefit will be payable since you have to serve a two week waiting period first. As for the dismissal on the first ROE, just tell the agent that you are quitting for a better job anyway.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
Prevail604 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 2:13 am
Hi, great idea for a thread. Im sure its helped many people, and I was hoping you could help me out with some info...

I was on EI in B.C. for 28 weeks ending sept 2011. I still have not found a job and have decided to go back to school.
The course is a recognized apprenticeship program. I have enough money for tuition (barely)... Would I be able to get paid
from EI while attending school? from my understanding its possible, but I dont know for sure and the anticipation is killing me.

My course starts in April, If I am eligable for EI do you know when will I recieve a student # so I can apply.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Regardless whether your training is approved, you still need sufficient insurable hours to qualify for a new claim.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
overwhelmed1 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 5:32 am
I have a serious problem I think. I am entitled to receive EI benefits until mid Oct 2012. I recently cashed in my Canada Pensions fund to pay off some debts and stay above water not realizing this would effect my EI benefits. I was under the impression that I claim the money as other monies received in my EI reports and that money would be deducted out of my weekly entitlement. I didn't realize I could lose my benefits.
Is this considered an income? Will my benefits be "interrupted"? It's a considerable amount of money. The only thing the EI office could tell me was that I would get a call back within 5 to 7 business days; I need an answer NOW!!
Any help on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Hi, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure as this field is one of my weaker areas. Here is the EI policy pertaining to Pension earnings: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#5_13_0

According to the regulation: "A pension means any retirement pension: arising out of employment, service in the Canadian Forces, or in any police force; under CPP or QPP; or under any provincial pension plan." So my interpretation is that if you take out a lump sum amount from pension, it is considered earnings. Therefore, it will be allocated accordingly (similar to severance pay or termination pay). For example, if your weekly earning (from your previous job that establish this current claim) is $1000, and you took out $16000 from pensions, then it will be allocated for 16 weeks ($16000/avg weekly earning). No EI benefits will be payable during these 16 weeks (effective from the week that you cash out). Your benefit period will be extended for 16 weeks as well so you don't technically lose benefits. However, during the allocation period, there will be no benefit. This provision is not fair in my opinion, but we don't make the rules. Again, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Jan 20, 2012
4 posts
MAPLE RIDGE
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 7:31 pm
Regardless whether your training is approved, you still need sufficient insurable hours to qualify for a new claim.

I had like 1600 hours or something like that. Then I went on Ei from March to Sept 2011. Then my claim ended, and I havent worked since.

I was under the impression that those hours are good for up to 36 months. And I would be able to get back on EI while attending a full time aprentice program.

again, any info would be greatly appreciated.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
Prevail604 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 8:47 pm
I had like 1600 hours or something like that. Then I went on Ei from March to Sept 2011. Then my claim ended, and I havent worked since.

I was under the impression that those hours are good for up to 36 months. And I would be able to get back on EI while attending a full time aprentice program.

again, any info would be greatly appreciated.

That's incorrect. Otherwise people would just keep going back to EI without getting another job.
Jan 21, 2012
1 posts
LEVACK
Hi i am not sure if this is just cause. i do not have a family physical therefore almost impossible to take a LOA. I am so stressed. I work for a call center from home and i am stress between life and work. I have to leave my son with my grandmother when i am working and now its not working out and need to be able to care for him and well work is another story dealing with cx screaming and yelling at you all day and i cant take it anymore i going to lose my mind and i cant switch positions because the company only has the one campaign in canada and the rest is in the states. therefore i am stuck in my current positions and either stay and get worse and have a nervous breakdown or quit and find something that is more in my field of work. do you think i would be able to receive ei benefits.
Jan 20, 2012
4 posts
MAPLE RIDGE
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2012 10:20 pm
That's incorrect. Otherwise people would just keep going back to EI without getting another job.

Im not talking about going back on regular EI benifits, Im talking about the "Finacial assistiance for BC apprentices" through EI and comunity supports.
Do you know much about this particular section?

please check out this link, it gives a small definition of what im talking about

http://www.itabc.ca/Page1001.aspx
Nov 6, 2011
36 posts
I had been on EIB benefits until last May 2011. Then I got really sick but didn't have any income (wife has a good job and supported us) since May 2011. I recently applied for CPP-Disabilty and just found out I've been granted. I'll get retro CPP payment back to late October 2010.

I'm getting mixed messages from EIB on whether they'll treat this retro payment from CPP as income and create a fairly large EIB overpayment. One worker I spoke to said yes, the other said no.

Anyone experience this before?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Prevail604 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2012 6:23 pm
Im not talking about going back on regular EI benifits, Im talking about the "Finacial assistiance for BC apprentices" through EI and comunity supports.
Do you know much about this particular section?

please check out this link, it gives a small definition of what im talking about

http://www.itabc.ca/Page1001.aspx

The problem is
Part II supports extended to all apprentices who meet the definition of an insured participant (EI client)
As your EI has run out, you are no longer an EI client. Sometimes they open up the special EI programs to people who do not normally meet EI requirements. Your best option is to make an appointment with your local office and ask, you might qualify for training.
Jan 20, 2012
4 posts
MAPLE RIDGE
spf1971 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 1:31 pm
The problem is

As your EI has run out, you are no longer an EI client. Sometimes they open up the special EI programs to people who do not normally meet EI requirements. Your best option is to make an appointment with your local office and ask, you might qualify for training.

Thanks for the response. To the best of my knowlwdge to be eligable for those programs you must be an insured participant in the EI system... and heres the definition I found from the service canada site...

To be eligible for these employment programs, you must meet the definition of an "insured participant" found in Section 58 of the Employment Insurance Act. When applying for assistance, you must be unemployed and legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident) and either:

Have a current claim for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits; or
Have a previous EI claim whose benefit period ended in the preceding 36 months; or
Have a previous benefit period that began in the preceding 60 months (5 years), during which the individual was paid maternity or parental benefits, after which they left the labour market to care for a newborn or newly adopted child and are now seeking to re-enter the labour market.
Other criteria may apply depending on the province or territory you live in.

I will be meeting with a case manager in the next few weeks as soon as I get notice to pay my tuition, and get my student # so I can start filling out the aplications.
The suspense is killing me tho, so if anyone has any other info regarding the matter please dont hesitate to say something :)
Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
couchman1968 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 12:43 pm
I had been on EIB benefits until last May 2011. Then I got really sick but didn't have any income (wife has a good job and supported us) since May 2011. I recently applied for CPP-Disabilty and just found out I've been granted. I'll get retro CPP payment back to late October 2010.

I'm getting mixed messages from EIB on whether they'll treat this retro payment from CPP as income and create a fairly large EIB overpayment. One worker I spoke to said yes, the other said no.

Anyone experience this before?

My *gut* instinct is that these money is considered insurable earnings and therefore there will be an overpayment situation. But then again it really depends on the benefit officer's interpretation. Have you visited the following page: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#5_11_0?
Jan 24, 2012
1 posts
I received a letter asking me to come in for an interview to see if I am entitled to benefits. I have been receiving benefits since July. I had an info class I was asked to come to in December and now this. Why is there an interview now?
Jan 9, 2011
361 posts
30 upvotes
Thanks once again for starting this thread as I've been trying to call EI now all morning without luck.

Do you know how EI views language courses? IE: I do not speak french, looking to take french lessons, I can do full time now (since I have the time) it's 5 days a week, 3 hours a day at the school and 3 hours online. Will they stop my EI benefits since I won't have time to find a job or should I consider doing the part-time? - Tuesday evenings.

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9455 posts
3121 upvotes
Calgary
brewster453 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 5:55 am
I received a letter asking me to come in for an interview to see if I am entitled to benefits. I have been receiving benefits since July. I had an info class I was asked to come to in December and now this. Why is there an interview now?

Not sure, just bring your job search history to the interview and let us know how it turn out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)