• Jun 19th, 2019 10:04 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
Pointseeker wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 1:50 pm
When a letter is received from Service Canada to explain a travel outside Canada for a period of time when EI benefits were received, what are the option to deal with this issue ? It says the entitlement to EI for that period is under review. Is it the same as being investigated? Options : 1) Provide an accurate and factual answers to questions asked and forward with a regular post, registered; 2) call the EI office explaining the situation over the phone; 3) wait for the results of their finding for possible overpayment and or penalty; 4) seek legal consultation immediately for advice. Time in the letter is very short, few days to complete and return the form.

Yes. It's being investigated by the Integrity Branch. Obviously someone was on EI and didn't report his/her absence outside of Canada so that's a false declaration on their claimant's report.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2491 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 27th, 2012 2:16 pm
Yes. It's being investigated by the Integrity Branch. Obviously someone was on EI and didn't report his/her absence outside of Canada so that's a false declaration on their claimant's report.

Thanks. You have PM from me.
Mar 7, 2008
723 posts
13 upvotes
I noticed that the max benefit increased from $468/week to $485/week as of January 2012.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/i ... 2012.shtml

According to the link above: " Claims established before January 1, 2012, 2010, will not be affected by the 2012 MIE increase."

I filed for EI September 2011, and have been getting the max benefit of $468/week since then. However, for my first EI payment of 2012, I was still receiving the lower rate.

Am I supposed to get the new higher rate, or not?

Is the date above a typo? I can't tell if my claim is affected or not because it's not clear it it's referring to 2012 or 2010??
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
ahujie wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 11:22 am
I noticed that the max benefit increased from $468/week to $485/week as of January 2012.

According to the link above: " Claims established before January 1, 2012, 2010, will not be affected by the 2012 MIE increase."

I filed for EI September 2011, and have been getting the max benefit of $468/week since then. However, for my first EI payment of 2012, I was still receiving the lower rate.

Is the date above a typo? I can't tell if my claim is affected or not because it's not clear it it's referring to 2012 or 2010??

The 2010 part is a typo, any claim made before Jan 1 2012 will be based on the old amounts and any claim made after Jan 1 2012 will be based on the new amounts.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
ahujie wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 11:22 am

^ what spf1971 said. Once your claim is established your rate will remain the same. But if you qualify again in 2012 the max rate will be bumped to $485.
Mar 7, 2008
723 posts
13 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 8:02 pm
^ what spf1971 said. Once your claim is established your rate will remain the same. But if you qualify again in 2012 the max rate will be bumped to $485.

Thanks for clarifying. Although the typo on the public website irritates me - thousands of people must visit it, can't the Communications team take a few minutes to proof read their work? lol

One more question - my biweekly payment is always $822. Last week it was $824, an extra $2. Is this one of those infamous overpayments that I will get a letter for later on? Should I call EI and report it?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
ahujie wrote:
Jan 29th, 2012 10:21 pm
Thanks for clarifying. Although the typo on the public website irritates me - thousands of people must visit it, can't the Communications team take a few minutes to proof read their work? lol

One more question - my biweekly payment is always $822. Last week it was $824, an extra $2. Is this one of those infamous overpayments that I will get a letter for later on? Should I call EI and report it?

You are talking about a government agency that was ran by political zealots who laid off thousands of workers, created a crapload of backlogs and had no problem with unemployed people waiting months before getting first pay cheque. They definitely don't care about a few errors on a "website". There is a lot of errors on the website. Here is an example: https://srv136.services.gc.ca/sc/msca-m ... ?ht=3#id63
If you are receiving regular, fishing, parental or compassionate care benefits, you can earn 25% of your weekly benefit rate or $50, whichever is higher, without affecting the amount of EI benefits you will receive for that week (effective December 7, 2008, until December 4, 2010, you can earn the higher of $75 or 40% of your weekly benefit rate).
Welcome to 2012. By the way, don't worry about those $2. :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4833 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Hello, this has probably been answered numerous times but what are the requirements of going on EI? I believe I need to provide a record of employment but is there anything else I need to provide?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
glover78 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 2:29 pm
Hello, this has probably been answered numerous times but what are the requirements of going on EI? I believe I need to provide a record of employment but is there anything else I need to provide?

Submit the ROE and fill out the application on the Service Canada website. Requirement is that you have enough hours and you lost your job due to no fault of your own.
Jan 21, 2012
362 posts
61 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Quick question!

I got on EI in late December and started receiving my payments just now.

I was looking to leave the country in late February for a week. I planned it out before I got on EI.. Is it alright if I leave the country in that time period? would there be any issues if I cross the border and use my Canadian passport? I am going to visit family, but its down south. I dont want it to look like I am going on vacation or what not. ANy chance that can happen? Can I leave EI now and come back to it later on?

How does it work for my case?
Or should I just cancel my whole reservation all together?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
Appak02 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 3:45 pm
Quick question!

I got on EI in late December and started receiving my payments just now.

I was looking to leave the country in late February for a week. I planned it out before I got on EI.. Is it alright if I leave the country in that time period? would there be any issues if I cross the border and use my Canadian passport? I am going to visit family, but its down south. I dont want it to look like I am going on vacation or what not. ANy chance that can happen? Can I leave EI now and come back to it later on?

How does it work for my case?
Or should I just cancel my whole reservation all together?

When you file your biweekly claimant's report, declare that you are out of country *and* that you are unavailable. You won't receive benefits for the time that you are out of Canada but it won't affect your claim either.
Jan 21, 2012
362 posts
61 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 5:52 pm
When you file your biweekly claimant's report, declare that you are out of country *and* that you are unavailable. You won't receive benefits for the time that you are out of Canada but it won't affect your claim either.

Thank you!
WHat happens when I come back?
Would I get stopped by customs and asked why I left the country?
Is there any documents you can take with you if that occurs?

I am just thinking of leaving for a week. So I just want to make sure I am ok.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9742 posts
3586 upvotes
Calgary
Appak02 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 6:28 pm
Thank you!
WHat happens when I come back?
Would I get stopped by customs and asked why I left the country?
Is there any documents you can take with you if that occurs?

I am just thinking of leaving for a week. So I just want to make sure I am ok.

Border Service officers won't know you are on EI. If so, that would be a major privacy breach on the government's part.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2491 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 7:27 pm
Border Service officers won't know you are on EI. If so, that would be a major privacy breach on the government's part.

I wonder why the other way is not a major privacy breach?
Jul 9, 2010
76 posts
Pointseeker wrote:
Jan 30th, 2012 8:13 pm
I wonder why the other way is not a major privacy breach?

EI is for people who are looking for work, not for people to have paid vacations.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)