Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
Apr 15, 2013
4 posts
clseea wrote:
Apr 16th, 2013 7:57 pm
Your waiting period is the first 2 weeks in which you would normally be eligible to receive EI. If you stopped working March 31st but received 2 weeks of severance (or whatever), you wouldn't serve your waiting period until after that severance amount runs out (at a rate allocated as per your average weekly earnings). If you stopped working March 31st but didn't receive any separation monies, you'd serve the 2 weeks immediately.

In terms of when you'll get paid, it can take up to 4 weeks from the date of your application for your claim to be finalized. With current processing delays, it could realistically take up to 40 days. Yes, you'll be "back paid" for those weeks.

So if you do end up starting a job right at the start of May, you'd serve a two week waiting period and then be paid for a couple other weeks prior to starting your new job. Apply now, no sense waiting for no reason.
Thank you for the reply clseea.

Here's my situation. I did not receive severance after March 31st. However, I did receive a single lump sum payment of bonus, vacation pay, and a week's pay a week after Mar 31. You mentioned that the waiting period won't start until the separation monies run out at a rate allocated as per average weekly earnings. So let's say, for example, my average weekly earnings is $800. If my lump sum payment is $4800, does this mean that my waiting period won't start until 6 weeks after I received the lump sum? If that's the case, will I be able to receive any EI if I choose to start working full-time at the start of May?

And what about the week during April 1 to April 7? Is that week taken into account in any way for the waiting period and does that affect in any way the start time of the benefit period?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
scarypanda wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 12:02 pm
Thank you for the reply clseea.

Here's my situation. I did not receive severance after March 31st. However, I did receive a single lump sum payment of bonus, vacation pay, and a week's pay a week after Mar 31. You mentioned that the waiting period won't start until the separation monies run out at a rate allocated as per average weekly earnings. So let's say, for example, my average weekly earnings is $800. If my lump sum payment is $4800, does this mean that my waiting period won't start until 6 weeks after I received the lump sum? If that's the case, will I be able to receive any EI if I choose to start working full-time at the start of May?

And what about the week during April 1 to April 7? Is that week taken into account in any way for the waiting period and does that affect in any way the start time of the benefit period?
1) Vacation pay and 1 week pay in lieu will be allocated for sure, as for bonus payment, it depends. What kind of bonus are you getting?
Go to this link: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... _6_0.shtml and refer to section 5.6.2

2) Assuming all $4800 is allocated, the first 6 weeks will not be payable. Your claim will start on week 7, and week 7 and 8 will serve as your waiting period. If you start a full time employment in the beginning of May, you won't receive any EI payment.
Apr 15, 2013
4 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 12:25 pm
1) Vacation pay and 1 week pay in lieu will be allocated for sure, as for bonus payment, it depends. What kind of bonus are you getting?
Go to this link: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... _6_0.shtml and refer to section 5.6.2

2) Assuming all $4800 is allocated, the first 6 weeks will not be payable. Your claim will start on week 7, and week 7 and 8 will serve as your waiting period. If you start a full time employment in the beginning of May, you won't receive any EI payment.
1) The bonus is like an incentive bonus. My work location closed at end of March and was relocated to another city. The bonus was a certain percentage of an employee's salary that all employees received as long as they worked there until the closure date, and I believe everybody received the same percentage. So would my bonus be allocated along with the vacation pay and 1 week pay? And if this bonus doesn't count for allocation, how would Service Canada know exactly how much of the lump sum payment I received at the end is the bonus, so that they can take it out of the calculation for allocation? My ROE shows the vacation pay amount separately in another box and the last (lump sum) payment (which includes all the bonus, vacation pay, 1 week pay) in the earnings chart, but the bonus is not shown separately.

2) I assume the EI reports are due every other week (?) and payments are made a few days after the report. So is the first EI payment based on whether or not you worked during the 2 weeks of waiting period, or is it based on the 2 weeks after the 2-week waiting period?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
scarypanda wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 5:53 pm
1) The bonus is like an incentive bonus. My work location closed at end of March and was relocated to another city. The bonus was a certain percentage of an employee's salary that all employees received as long as they worked there until the closure date, and I believe everybody received the same percentage. So would my bonus be allocated along with the vacation pay and 1 week pay? And if this bonus doesn't count for allocation, how would Service Canada know exactly how much of the lump sum payment I received at the end is the bonus, so that they can take it out of the calculation for allocation? My ROE shows the vacation pay amount separately in another box and the last (lump sum) payment (which includes all the bonus, vacation pay, 1 week pay) in the earnings chart, but the bonus is not shown separately.

2) I assume the EI reports are due every other week (?) and payments are made a few days after the report. So is the first EI payment based on whether or not you worked during the 2 weeks of waiting period, or is it based on the 2 weeks after the 2-week waiting period?
1) Sounds like a closure bonus, which would be allocated like any other separation monies
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#a5_14_6

2) Your first EI payment is based on the 2 weeks after your waiting period (although it could just be a one week payment to get the money flowing faster).
If you work during your waiting period, that money needs to get deducted from your first (or subsequent) week(s) of eligibility since you're not "allowed" to have earnings during your waiting period.
Apr 15, 2013
4 posts
clseea wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 6:02 pm
1) Sounds like a closure bonus, which would be allocated like any other separation monies
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#a5_14_6

2) Your first EI payment is based on the 2 weeks after your waiting period (although it could just be a one week payment to get the money flowing faster).
If you work during your waiting period, that money needs to get deducted from your first (or subsequent) week(s) of eligibility since you're not "allowed" to have earnings during your waiting period.
Thank you for the reply. That clears up my concerns.
Aug 18, 2011
6 posts
I was laid off and received a severance. I opened a claim and was told to wait until my severance was over if I had not found work then I could re-open that claim. My severance will be up soon and I have been actively looking for work. I recently was offered a part time position with the possibility of becoming full time after 6 months. If I accept this part time position ( 20 hours per week) for now can I still re-open my EI claim at the end of my severance? I know you can work part time while on EI but can I still apply for EI if I have a part time position. My previous job was full time and at the same company for 15 years. I have never collected EI. I would hate to turn down part time job with potential for full time but on the other hand cannot afford to only work part time after my severance runs out. I am eligible to receive the maximum payout for EI at the end of my severance so obviously that would pay me more but I really want to get back to work and feel there is good potential here for full time down the road.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
jill72 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2013 9:19 am
I was laid off and received a severance. I opened a claim and was told to wait until my severance was over if I had not found work then I could re-open that claim. My severance will be up soon and I have been actively looking for work. I recently was offered a part time position with the possibility of becoming full time after 6 months. If I accept this part time position ( 20 hours per week) for now can I still re-open my EI claim at the end of my severance? I know you can work part time while on EI but can I still apply for EI if I have a part time position. My previous job was full time and at the same company for 15 years. I have never collected EI. I would hate to turn down part time job with potential for full time but on the other hand cannot afford to only work part time after my severance runs out. I am eligible to receive the maximum payout for EI at the end of my severance so obviously that would pay me more but I really want to get back to work and feel there is good potential here for full time down the road.
1) Yes you can reactivate the claim by applying online again.
2) You still have to be actively looking for other jobs to receive EI
3) Every dollar you make from the part time job will be deducted 50 cents from your EI benefits.
Aug 18, 2011
6 posts
Thank you, I was not sure if I could re-open a claim if I was working part time when my severance ends. Their website only gives examples of people already on EI getting a part time job. thanks again!
Oct 18, 2009
1 posts
As many have said this thread is great and I am a new Red Flags user for the most part. Here is my situation. After 21 years the company I was working for closed the branch I was working for (this was Oct 2011) and I continued to work until Dec31, 2011 when I began an 18 month salary continuation period. This period will expire June30, 2013 and although I expect to get mostly full term employment again I want to know my options with EI if something doesn't work out. From what I read in an earlier post I should be entitled as long as I apply within 30 days of my last pay; is that correct? Should I apply anyway as a fallback in case my possible employment doesn't come through or am I totally wrong and cannot claim at all? Thanks for your advice.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
Khammer wrote:
Apr 18th, 2013 2:46 pm
As many have said this thread is great and I am a new Red Flags user for the most part. Here is my situation. After 21 years the company I was working for closed the branch I was working for (this was Oct 2011) and I continued to work until Dec31, 2011 when I began an 18 month salary continuation period. This period will expire June30, 2013 and although I expect to get mostly full term employment again I want to know my options with EI if something doesn't work out. From what I read in an earlier post I should be entitled as long as I apply within 30 days of my last pay; is that correct? Should I apply anyway as a fallback in case my possible employment doesn't come through or am I totally wrong and cannot claim at all? Thanks for your advice.
Is it true salary continuance or severance? It makes a big difference in your case.
Apr 17, 2013
2 posts
What qualifies as "good cause" for an antedate claim?

I was injured at the end of January and could not work for a few weeks. I returned to work until last Friday, when I had surgery to address the injury. Now I am off work again for a while. When I spoke to an agent on the phone (after being on hold for 45 minutes) I was told I could make a claim right away for the current absence, but would need an antedate claim for the previous absence. I thought they would be considered one claim since they both stem from the same injury. My surgeon is happy to sign off on the medical certificate for both absences. Previous to the surgery I didn't have a doctor willing to sign off because my family doctor was the one who caused the injury, and she dropped me as a patient.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
alex79 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2013 7:39 pm
What qualifies as "good cause" for an antedate claim?

I was injured at the end of January and could not work for a few weeks. I returned to work until last Friday, when I had surgery to address the injury. Now I am off work again for a while. When I spoke to an agent on the phone (after being on hold for 45 minutes) I was told I could make a claim right away for the current absence, but would need an antedate claim for the previous absence. I thought they would be considered one claim since they both stem from the same injury. My surgeon is happy to sign off on the medical certificate for both absences. Previous to the surgery I didn't have a doctor willing to sign off because my family doctor was the one who caused the injury, and she dropped me as a patient.
The fact that you were injured and was absent from work for an extended period of time my be a good enough cause. When applying for antedate, more lenience is given to those applying for special benefits, than those who apply for regular benefits. You should apply right away, then submit your antedate request ASAP (say next Monday).

antedate form: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/ ... 987&ln=eng
Apr 18, 2013
5 posts
Great thread; very helpful and informative.

My question is about salary continuance and the weeks of benefits calculation by EI.
I was let go Feb. 1/13 with 6 months of salary continuance (to Aug.1/13) paid semi-monthly.

Does EI calculate the "prior 52 weeks" for benefits from:

last actual day of work ( Feb 1/12 - Feb 1/13 <40hrs/wk> )
or
last day of salary continuance ( Aug 1/12 - Feb 1/13 <40hrs/wk> + Feb 1/13-Aug 1/13 <0hrs/wk> )

Ie. Does true salary continuance appear to EI as if a employee was working regular full hours for the duration?
Or does it reduce the number of payable weeks/money because of an employee not physically being at work.

Is it recommended/advantageous to apply for EI ASAP or wait until the end of salary continuance (if still unemployed)?

Ten people were let go at my company so your answers will help us a lot. Thank you very much.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
True salary continuance is like you're still employed as normal. Even though you're not physically working, your claim will be calculated as though you were
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
tsact12 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2013 2:22 am
Great thread; very helpful and informative.

My question is about salary continuance and the weeks of benefits calculation by EI.
I was let go Feb. 1/13 with 6 months of salary continuance (to Aug.1/13) paid semi-monthly.

Does EI calculate the "prior 52 weeks" for benefits from:

last actual day of work ( Feb 1/12 - Feb 1/13 <40hrs/wk> )
or
last day of salary continuance ( Aug 1/12 - Feb 1/13 <40hrs/wk> + Feb 1/13-Aug 1/13 <0hrs/wk> )

Ie. Does true salary continuance appear to EI as if a employee was working regular full hours for the duration?
Or does it reduce the number of payable weeks/money because of an employee not physically being at work.

Is it recommended/advantageous to apply for EI ASAP or wait until the end of salary continuance (if still unemployed)?

Ten people were let go at my company so your answers will help us a lot. Thank you very much.
When you are on salary continuance, do you still enjoy company benefits, such as employer sponsored insurance?