EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 11:09 am
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 2:26 am
So someone collecting maternity/parental should be entitled to regular EI benefits if they're laid off after returning to work once their maternity/parental entitlement is exhausted (even if they don't have enough hours to qualify for regular) and even though someone who exhausts regular EI and then experiences the same work issues won't?

How many doors are being slammed shut? It'd be silly to implement big system changes for such a small amount of people.
We should probably close this tangent soon because it's not really on topic. It just seems to me that the choice to interrupt work for maternity leave should not be judged by the system as a less valid choice than to stay on the job and have someone else care for the baby. If making use of the maternity benefits results in exhausting one's eligibility for regular EI, then the system is designed to tell parents that they do not deserve help finding a new job if they took the risk of caring for their own child.
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 2:07 am
The report is confused because you were away but also said you weren't available, so it needs human intervention. Call in and explain the situation, it can be fixed over the phone so you get paid for the other days. Not a long term problem, the system is just worded awkwardly so it trips people up.
So for clarity: If I am out of the country for some or all of a reporting week, and I report that as "out of country", should I also report it as non-availability?

If I report out of the country but say yes to available, does that put up a red flag, or does it just automatically assume I meant available only on the days I was in town?
Apr 13, 2013
6 posts
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 2:11 am
You'll be asked if you found full time work on your report... Report it on there
ho
What happens if I say no even though I did.... Considering iM not sure if ill stay or not? Do I lose all the houurs I gained and start back from zero? So if I lose my new job in 2 weeks I wont get EI now?
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
datengpinoy wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 3:04 pm
ho
What happens if I say no even though I did.... Considering iM not sure if ill stay or not? Do I lose all the houurs I gained and start back from zero? So if I lose my new job in 2 weeks I wont get EI now?
Tell the truth no matter what.

You may be able to put your claim on hold, especially if it's a temporary but full-time job.

(If you had claim weeks remaining and you get laid off shortly after starting the new job, can they just reactivate the previous benefit period to finish it off?)

However if you quit the new job yourself without cause, then your EI period is over because you refused work.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 2:50 pm
So for clarity: If I am out of the country for some or all of a reporting week, and I report that as "out of country", should I also report it as non-availability?

If I report out of the country but say yes to available, does that put up a red flag, or does it just automatically assume I meant available only on the days I was in town?
It will put your claim on hold before all facts are sorted out. Could take weeks, even months to sort out this simple mistake.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
datengpinoy wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 3:04 pm
ho
By losing your new job, do you mean you get laid off, or you quit voluntarily? If you quit, it's rather likely you won't have just cause, and your claim will be disqualified. You will have no benefits, and will go back to 0 insurable hours.
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 8:19 pm
It will put your claim on hold before all facts are sorted out. Could take weeks, even months to sort out this simple mistake.
Okay, so which would cause the least delay on my claim:
1) Report out of the country but yes to available?
2) Report out of the country but no to available?

Would the delay be reduced by phoning in ASAP to explain the details?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 5:13 pm
However if you quit the new job yourself without cause, then your EI period is over because you refused work.
Incorrect. Please let experts provide responses. :razz:
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 8:21 pm
Okay, so which would cause the least delay on my claim:
1) Report out of the country but yes to available?
2) Report out of the country but no to available?

Would the delay be reduced by phoning in ASAP to explain the details?
Option 2. Yes phone ASAP.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
1921 posts
138 upvotes
SW Ontario
Another question (thank you to those that have answered previously) - I applied for benefits on Friday (my last working day) - and I am now waiting for the code in the mail to see when my first report is due.

Since this is my first time filing, I'm unsure on what I can/cannot do. I'm going to start a part time job soon, but I wasn't sure about a night-school course or online course once or twice over the next year. I'm not comfortable to jump back in to a full college term and just want to know if this is allowed (I'm assuming, I'd have to report it as well as my hours at my part time job).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
Thanks for continuing to provide all the answers and helping us wade through all of this!!!

This isn't specificlly EI... or maybe it is... but I'm hoping for some assistance.

Last year when my doctor recommended I take time off work, I told my employer and they fired me instead... after all the appeals and everything I ended up on regular (not medical) EI as Service Canada determined there was no just cause for firing me (basically I had an anxiety attack which landed me in the hospital due to stress at work excaberated by my manager screaming at me on personal time... I had actually been seeing a counsellor about it so it wasn`t an immediate reaction, but the anxiety breakdown [ stoppped breathing] was sudden)

Recently my doctor has even more strongly recommend I take time off for a surgery that was aggravated during massive stress at work and specifically the time i the hospital. I am unable to book the surgery for 6 months due to wait lists. So until then I have picked up a summer job, while continuing to look for year-round employment. I have a possible surgery date of my last month of work; at which point I'd finish work a week early.

At that point... what do I do? Do I apply for medical EI since I have to take time off work for the surgery? Do I apply for regular EI? Do I apply for medical but then roll it into regular EI? The recovery time is 10-18 weeks, everyone is different. I will be completely unable to do anything the first 1-3 weeks, then I can do modified duties until fully healed.

Thank you for your help!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
blairs1 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 8:25 pm
Another question (thank you to those that have answered previously) - I applied for benefits on Friday (my last working day) - and I am now waiting for the code in the mail to see when my first report is due.

Since this is my first time filing, I'm unsure on what I can/cannot do. I'm going to start a part time job soon, but I wasn't sure about a night-school course or online course once or twice over the next year. I'm not comfortable to jump back in to a full college term and just want to know if this is allowed (I'm assuming, I'd have to report it as well as my hours at my part time job).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance.
Less than 10 hours of schooling presents no problem. Over that may be an issue, but if it's exclusively online or at night and poses no hindrance to your availability for full time work, you'll be ok.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
cm99camper wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 8:51 pm
Thanks for continuing to provide all the answers and helping us wade through all of this!!!

This isn't specificlly EI... or maybe it is... but I'm hoping for some assistance.

Last year when my doctor recommended I take time off work, I told my employer and they fired me instead... after all the appeals and everything I ended up on regular (not medical) EI as Service Canada determined there was no just cause for firing me (basically I had an anxiety attack which landed me in the hospital due to stress at work excaberated by my manager screaming at me on personal time... I had actually been seeing a counsellor about it so it wasn`t an immediate reaction, but the anxiety breakdown [ stoppped breathing] was sudden)

Recently my doctor has even more strongly recommend I take time off for a surgery that was aggravated during massive stress at work and specifically the time i the hospital. I am unable to book the surgery for 6 months due to wait lists. So until then I have picked up a summer job, while continuing to look for year-round employment. I have a possible surgery date of my last month of work; at which point I'd finish work a week early.

At that point... what do I do? Do I apply for medical EI since I have to take time off work for the surgery? Do I apply for regular EI? Do I apply for medical but then roll it into regular EI? The recovery time is 10-18 weeks, everyone is different. I will be completely unable to do anything the first 1-3 weeks, then I can do modified duties until fully healed.

Thank you for your help!!!
It would need to be sickness benefits, not regular. Question is, will you have enough hours to establish a new claim, or will this new period be a continuation of your previous claim??
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
1921 posts
138 upvotes
SW Ontario
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 9:42 pm
Less than 10 hours of schooling presents no problem. Over that may be an issue, but if it's exclusively online or at night and poses no hindrance to your availability for full time work, you'll be ok.
the options are two 3 hour classes at night, or strictly online for a few extra weeks duration.

thank you for the answer.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
blairs1 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 10:31 pm
the options are two 3 hour classes at night, or strictly online for a few extra weeks duration.

thank you for the answer.
that won't be an issue.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)