• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2019 9:17 pm
Sep 29, 2009
518 posts
104 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 8:22 pm
Incorrect. Please let experts provide responses. :razz:
What I meant was, if its non permanent work such that the EI claim remains open, then declining additional hours there could count as refusing work, no?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9962 posts
3939 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 11:10 pm
What I meant was, if its non permanent work such that the EI claim remains open, then declining additional hours there could count as refusing work, no?
no. they already accepted the job and started working. By stop working, they quit. It's different from refusal to accept work.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
clseea wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 9:46 pm
It would need to be sickness benefits, not regular. Question is, will you have enough hours to establish a new claim, or will this new period be a continuation of your previous claim??
I would have enough hours. I will have this full-time job for the summer from May 1- surgery date? The job is supposed to go until Sept 30, surgery is possibly first week of September. I also worked a casual job during my claim. I also accepted a temp 4-month full-tiume job in the fall at which point I halted my benefits. I halted it for enough weeks that my 1-year ran up... I think I only managed to use 7 weeks total of my entire ei claim, which I was happy about. I hate not woroking!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!!
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2013 10:59 pm
that won't be an issue.
I can vouch for this also, I was doing an online course as well as got my FoodSafe, Serving it Right and a couple other tickets when I was on EI. They deemed my online acceptable as I could do it anytime and work around work, and my certificates were evenings and Saturdays.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9962 posts
3939 upvotes
Calgary
Premium wrote:
Apr 29th, 2013 11:10 am
From what time to what time can you go the States on the weekend without having to affect your EI?
(e.g. Can you go Friday's evening?)

Would it be better to take Second Career after EI or within EI period? Any losses of benefits or whatsoever?
Friday after 5pm should be good. As for the second question, I don't know the answer.
Apr 26, 2013
2 posts
CASTLEGAR
draderman wrote:
Apr 27th, 2013 6:15 pm
Hi really confused and hope someone can help me.
I am currently about 9 weeks in to a 25 week EI regular benefits claim. I went on vacation to Vegas from Monday to Thursday and then on Friday I filed my report (online). Under the question "did you leave Canada" i entered yes for the 4 days I was gone and under the "were you ready willing and capable" question I also said i wasn't for the same 4 days. So today i checked my EI messages and it says "We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by May 19, 2013 or the next business day." This is worrying me because i should still be getting payment for the 6 days in the 2 week period that i was home, and that payment would have been in my account by the 1st of May so i can pay my rent. Whats going on here? Does going on vacation screw up my claim? since I was home, and RW&C of working for the full first week of this 2 week reporting period, shouldn't I receive at least half of my EI payment on the regularly scheduled payday? Someone please help THANKYOU
UPDATE:

Just wanted to let everyone know I was all set to phone in today to straighten this out, but before i went to bed last night i signed in to service Canada and saw that the message had been updated to say "we have received your report and a total of $XXX.xx will be deposited into your account on April 30th. So somehow on Sunday the system self corrected, or else someone went in and fixed it before i phoned in. They are paying me for the week prior plus the one day i was available in week 2. Perfect. thanks for all your comments everyone.
Mar 2, 2013
2 posts
Hi,

I am currently on EI and looking for jobs both locally and outside Canada as the job prospects in my field are better outside of Canada. If I find a job offer outside of Canada, what proper documentation do I need to submit to go for an interview and meet my employer outside of Canada and still be able to get EI provided my stay outside of Canada is for one week?

Thanks!
Sep 29, 2009
518 posts
104 upvotes
I just got my RoE. My employer entered Code K, and then in comments "business closed".

It would seem to me that Code A should have been more appropriate as this is either a temporary or permanent shutdown of operations depending on how things turn out for the business. Is this likely to delay or complicate my EI claim significantly?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
Bokkeh26 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 11:51 am
Hi,

I am currently on EI and looking for jobs both locally and outside Canada as the job prospects in my field are better outside of Canada. If I find a job offer outside of Canada, what proper documentation do I need to submit to go for an interview and meet my employer outside of Canada and still be able to get EI provided my stay outside of Canada is for one week?

Thanks!
You don't need to submit anything unless you're asked. Call in to have things noted on your file so you don't experience complications.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8689 posts
1542 upvotes
Edmonton
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 7:40 pm
I just got my RoE. My employer entered Code K, and then in comments "business closed".

It would seem to me that Code A should have been more appropriate as this is either a temporary or permanent shutdown of operations depending on how things turn out for the business. Is this likely to delay or complicate my EI claim significantly?
It shouldn't since the comments indicate the reason why you're no longer working.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9962 posts
3939 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 8:48 pm
It shouldn't since the comments indicate the reason why you're no longer working.
Agreed but there will be a slight delay as it require level one intervention.
Sep 29, 2009
518 posts
104 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 8:58 pm
Agreed but there will be a slight delay as it require level one intervention.
OK thanks for the info. Filling out the EI application now. The most appropriate answer for me to give online was Shortage of Work so I gave that anyway.
Sep 29, 2009
518 posts
104 upvotes
Question: "With the exception of the Record(s) of Employment (ROE) submitted to Service Canada electronically by your employer, it is your responsibility to provide Service Canada with the ROE(s) issued via paper format from any employer you worked for in the past 104 weeks (2 years). This additional information will be used to determine if you qualify for benefits."

The hours I worked in the past year with my one employer are enough to qualify me for full benefits. If I extend to the prior year then it gets messier because I have to submit records for a part-time job I had for 5 months, a temp agency, an on-call job and election work too. Do I still need to provide all these? If not is there any benefit to providing them? Out of all those, only the election and the PT job ever issued an RoE.
Apr 29, 2013
7 posts
Good evening,

This is my second run with Canada's EI system and needless to say I find it terribly confusing - still! I applied as soon as my contract ended; ROEs are all electronic and were at Service Canada the day my contract ended.

I am a university lecturer who currently works on contracts, and I know my position and contracts fall under regular benefits. During my current qualifying period I have accumulated 637 hours of insurable earnings and I know that this exceeds the rate of unemployment/ insurable hours required for regular benefits. So this part I understand well.

This time however, my issue is comprehending the labour force attachment period (LFA). I was on a research assignment between Jan 2012 and Aug 2012 that was covered through a grant and was not eligible as an insured earning - this I know as a fact. Prior to that (Sep 2012 - Dec 2012) I taught several courses and accumulated 450 hours of insurable earnings.

Therefore, this gave me 450 hours during the LFA which falls below the 490 hours required. However, I also received 22 weeks of regular EI benefits during the LFA period, would the EI system include those weeks as 'hours' during the LFA? I have scoured the EI act and cannot wrap my brain around the LFA/ reentrant section.

Just to be clear:
-637 hours for current qualifying period (needed 630 for regional rate) (Sep 2012-Apr 2013)
-Research (Jan 2012-Aug 2012)
-450 hours (Sep 2011-Dec 2011)
-22 weeks EI regular benefits (Apr 2011 - Aug 2011)

Sometimes I wish I had studied law to make sense of it all :S

Thanks very much for any input or help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9962 posts
3939 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 11:11 pm
Question: "With the exception of the Record(s) of Employment (ROE) submitted to Service Canada electronically by your employer, it is your responsibility to provide Service Canada with the ROE(s) issued via paper format from any employer you worked for in the past 104 weeks (2 years). This additional information will be used to determine if you qualify for benefits."

The hours I worked in the past year with my one employer are enough to qualify me for full benefits. If I extend to the prior year then it gets messier because I have to submit records for a part-time job I had for 5 months, a temp agency, an on-call job and election work too. Do I still need to provide all these? If not is there any benefit to providing them? Out of all those, only the election and the PT job ever issued an RoE.
If you have more than 1820 hours in the most recent ROE, and there is no overlap between the most recent employment and 2nd most recent, then you don't need to submit any other ROEs. Don't mention other employment on your application as well.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

MarcusM31244