Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
May 10, 2009
182 posts
31 upvotes
Hello and thanks for this great thread!

Here is my question. I am currently on EI and my Claim ends in the beginning of October. I will be going out of the country at the beginning of August and will not be returning for a good 5 months. When I return to Canada, am I able to reactivate my claim somehow and receive EI benefits for those 2 months that I missed?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
contprof wrote:
Apr 30th, 2013 11:22 pm
Good evening,

This is my second run with Canada's EI system and needless to say I find it terribly confusing - still! I applied as soon as my contract ended; ROEs are all electronic and were at Service Canada the day my contract ended.

I am a university lecturer who currently works on contracts, and I know my position and contracts fall under regular benefits. During my current qualifying period I have accumulated 637 hours of insurable earnings and I know that this exceeds the rate of unemployment/ insurable hours required for regular benefits. So this part I understand well.

This time however, my issue is comprehending the labour force attachment period (LFA). I was on a research assignment between Jan 2012 and Aug 2012 that was covered through a grant and was not eligible as an insured earning - this I know as a fact. Prior to that (Sep 2012 - Dec 2012) I taught several courses and accumulated 450 hours of insurable earnings.

Therefore, this gave me 450 hours during the LFA which falls below the 490 hours required. However, I also received 22 weeks of regular EI benefits during the LFA period, would the EI system include those weeks as 'hours' during the LFA? I have scoured the EI act and cannot wrap my brain around the LFA/ reentrant section.

Just to be clear:
-637 hours for current qualifying period (needed 630 for regional rate) (Sep 2012-Apr 2013)
-Research (Jan 2012-Aug 2012)
-450 hours (Sep 2011-Dec 2011)
-22 weeks EI regular benefits (Apr 2011 - Aug 2011)

Sometimes I wish I had studied law to make sense of it all :S

Thanks very much for any input or help.
Each week of EI you received in 2011 counts as 35 LFA hours. You shouldn't have any issues.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a1_2_7
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
Projek9 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 12:25 am
Hello and thanks for this great thread!

Here is my question. I am currently on EI and my Claim ends in the beginning of October. I will be going out of the country at the beginning of August and will not be returning for a good 5 months. When I return to Canada, am I able to reactivate my claim somehow and receive EI benefits for those 2 months that I missed?
no.
Apr 29, 2013
7 posts
@b166er1337:
Thanks so much. I confused myself with the 'benefits' definition; wasn't sure if it was inclusive of EI benefits. I thought it only pertained to parental, maternity, etc.
Again, thanks, I can sleep a bit more sound :)
Apr 29, 2013
2 posts
Mississauga
On Jan 29, 2013 just before leaving for vacation I was let go due to a shortage of work with a company that I had worked for full time for over 8 years, I did receive 16 weeks of severance pay.
I had a vacation that was previously approved by the company and my flight was booked back in November 2012. This was an extended vacation which had been approved as the company is slow in the winter. My wife had left a week prior to me and I was flying with the kids to meet her on Jan 31, 2013. I arrived home today and was looking into employment insurance as I believed that I would have to file my application once my severance ran out. After reading service canada info I now have concerns that I may have lost my entitlement to employment insurance by being out of the country and not putting a application in within 3 weeks of my last day of work. My severance pay is still valid and my company is also continuing my health care benefits for this 16 week severance period, do I still qualify for employment insurance and if so how would I apply
thanking you in advance.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
contprof wrote:
May 1st, 2013 12:42 am
@b166er1337:
Thanks so much. I confused myself with the 'benefits' definition; wasn't sure if it was inclusive of EI benefits. I thought it only pertained to parental, maternity, etc.
Again, thanks, I can sleep a bit more sound :)
No problem. Glad I can help.
Sep 29, 2009
508 posts
98 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 12:17 am
If you have more than 1820 hours in the most recent ROE, and there is no overlap between the most recent employment and 2nd most recent, then you don't need to submit any other ROEs. Don't mention other employment on your application as well.
Correct, over 1820 hours. The job before this one ended exactly 13 months ago so not within 53 weeks. There was technically a small overlap between this job and the prior one, in that the newer job sent me for a training course on two days in the last week of March 2012, and paid me for those days on my first pay cycle; simultaneously I took those as vacation days from the older job, and then worked my last day of the older job after the course. Then in April I reported for my first day of work. All of that happened more than 53 weeks ago. Also the ROE lists my first day of work for them in April 2012 despite the paid training days in March.

None of the questions on the actual application ask about work I did more than 53 weeks ago... it's just that there's this blurb about 2 years on the page where they ask me about work I did in the past 1 year.
Apr 29, 2013
1 posts
RICHMOND HILL
Hello b166er1337 or anyone who can help

I am jobless for 3 years (never apply EI), this year I got a 6 months contract job( 5days week and 7.5 hrs a day) from a staffing agency I am worry that after this 6 month I will be unemployed again and without income. So i wanted to seek more information / opinion from you......."By any chance if I am eligible to apply EI after this contact while trying to get another job?"

Most appreciate for your help and deep thanks from my heart

Dc2013
May 23, 2004
420 posts
33 upvotes
b166er1337

If your on long term disability(approx 1 yr) being paid by a private insurance company and get pregnant.

If your long term coverage stops when the baby is born, can you qualify for maternity compensation through EI?

Before the disability leave you've worked at least 5 yrs full time.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
May 1st, 2013 1:59 am
Correct, over 1820 hours. The job before this one ended exactly 13 months ago so not within 53 weeks. There was technically a small overlap between this job and the prior one, in that the newer job sent me for a training course on two days in the last week of March 2012, and paid me for those days on my first pay cycle; simultaneously I took those as vacation days from the older job, and then worked my last day of the older job after the course. Then in April I reported for my first day of work. All of that happened more than 53 weeks ago. Also the ROE lists my first day of work for them in April 2012 despite the paid training days in March.

None of the questions on the actual application ask about work I did more than 53 weeks ago... it's just that there's this blurb about 2 years on the page where they ask me about work I did in the past 1 year.
So you can report just this employment on your application.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
fifa204 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 10:40 am
b166er1337

If your on long term disability(approx 1 yr) being paid by a private insurance company and get pregnant.

If your long term coverage stops when the baby is born, can you qualify for maternity compensation through EI?

This I do not know. Perhaps Clseea can help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
dc2013 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 5:00 am
Hello b166er1337 or anyone who can help

I am jobless for 3 years (never apply EI), this year I got a 6 months contract job( 5days week and 7.5 hrs a day) from a staffing agency I am worry that after this 6 month I will be unemployed again and without income. So i wanted to seek more information / opinion from you......."By any chance if I am eligible to apply EI after this contact while trying to get another job?"

Most appreciate for your help and deep thanks from my heart

Dc2013
well, you need 910 hours within the most 52 weeks at the time of your lay off. So 7.5hr x 5day x 26weeks = 975 hours. You should be fine.
Apr 30, 2013
1 posts
Hi I am currently on EI. I found a temporary part-time job (that ends in September. I have worked for approximately three weeks. My hours vary. Some weeks I work 25 hours, and some weeks 6. After calculating my income from the part-time job, my reduced EI benefits, and my transportation costs to get to the job, I am not making much more than what I receive in my benefits. If I did quit this job, how will this affect my EI benefits? Is this a situation of me not accepting work?

Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9840 posts
3789 upvotes
Calgary
runa024 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 1:45 pm
Hi I am currently on EI. I found a temporary part-time job (that ends in September. I have worked for approximately three weeks. My hours vary. Some weeks I work 25 hours, and some weeks 6. After calculating my income from the part-time job, my reduced EI benefits, and my transportation costs to get to the job, I am not making much more than what I receive in my benefits. If I did quit this job, how will this affect my EI benefits? Is this a situation of me not accepting work?

Thanks
It is a situation whether you quit with just cause. Unfortunately for you, you have to show just cause. If you simply quit, your whole claim will be disqualified and you will not receive any EI.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8583 posts
1508 upvotes
Edmonton
fifa204 wrote:
May 1st, 2013 10:40 am
b166er1337

Yes... Your qualifying period would be extended so a claim could be established

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)