Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 5:03 pm
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
Feh, it looks like another outcome of the non-taxability of my grad school income is that I fell well below the thresholds of EI premiums required to get me "long-tenured worker" status. So I'm going to be an "occasional claimant" which means after 18 weeks I am required to consider "any work" I am "qualified to perform".

When someone passes that threshold, how long does it typically take for Service Canada to barge in and enforce that? I don't want to go back to my call centre days...
May 23, 2004
420 posts
33 upvotes
clseea wrote:
May 1st, 2013 7:03 pm
Yes... Your qualifying period would be extended so a claim could be established
Thank you for your quick response.

I assume in this scenario its best to go down to the service canada office, instead of signing up online?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8157 posts
1799 upvotes
Ontario
Question about eligibility and reporting
Friend was let go from his full-time employer.
Prior to this, she created a corporation (sole shareholder) to open up a new business. This business is still not operation, probably wont be for at least a few months.

Does this affect her ability to accept EI?
Does her reporting change at all (will she have to indicate she is self employed)?
Since the corporation exists, but will not earn any income for some time, she should be eligible for the full amount correct?

Any other help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jul 13, 2008
16 posts
Waterloo
I had to leave the country with my wife because of a sick father while collecting EI. They sent me an e-mail about being out of the country. I brought my laptop and continued to apply for positions and look for work. There is no way in my field that I could have been offered a position while I was away. I could have been interviewed over Skype. Is there any way that I can fight this or ask them not to give me a penalty as I am still not working. My EI claim ran out, can I get the weeks tacked back on?

Thanks
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
I got EI on the phone and had them look into my electronically filed RoE. They identified two possible errors (including the code K) that would have prevented the claim from being automatically calculated, and corrected them. They say it should speed up the processing of my claim. I can't check on it until I get my code in the mail, of course, but I'm glad I intervened.
Sep 29, 2009
476 posts
88 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 1:51 pm
Prior to this, she created a corporation (sole shareholder) to open up a new business. This business is still not operation, probably wont be for at least a few months.

Does her reporting change at all (will she have to indicate she is self employed)?
Since the corporation exists, but will not earn any income for some time, she should be eligible for the full amount correct?

Thanks
I don't have an answer to this *but* I should mention that the labour market funding delegated from the federal government through the provinces includes a self-employment program which provides support to those starting a business who are eligible for EI. Here is the link for Ontario: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employees/ ... yment.html
Jan 27, 2009
238 posts
8 upvotes
Pointe-claire
My wife has been placed on sick leave from her doctor and has her ROE in hand. What is teh best way to apply for benefits? Online? Directly at the EI office?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
fifa204 wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 9:51 am
Thank you for your quick response.

I assume in this scenario its best to go down to the service canada office, instead of signing up online?
You can't apply in person. In person citizen services officers are cross trained in a bunch of things, but they aren't really masters at anything. They will just tell you to go apply online since they don't have anything to do with your application
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
onlineharvest wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks
She'll be required to fill out a self employment questionnaire. If she has nothing to do with the operation of the business and it's not even running, it won't be a problem. If she's directing efforts towards operating the business, this could pose a problem
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
Jimmer08 wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 2:12 pm
I had to leave the country with my wife because of a sick father while collecting EI. They sent me an e-mail about being out of the country. I brought my laptop and continued to apply for positions and look for work. There is no way in my field that I could have been offered a position while I was away. I could have been interviewed over Skype. Is there any way that I can fight this or ask them not to give me a penalty as I am still not working. My EI claim ran out, can I get the weeks tacked back on?

Thanks
Was your presence required? What sort of time frames are we looking at... How long were you gone... When did you get back in relation to the end date of your claim? Why didn't you inform them prior to leaving?

Doesn't matter if you can apply online, you need to be actively looking for work and able to accept work. If you had advised SC prior to leaving, you could have gotten some benefits while you were away
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
Montreal514 wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 9:49 pm
My wife has been placed on sick leave from her doctor and has her ROE in hand. What is teh best way to apply for benefits? Online? Directly at the EI office?
Online, you don't apply in person. If the ROE serial number starts with S or W, the employer has electronically submitted the ROE on the employees behalf. I'm guessing hers starts with an E, so you'll need to take it in person so the application can be processed.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8157 posts
1799 upvotes
Ontario
clseea wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 10:14 pm
She'll be required to fill out a self employment questionnaire. If she has nothing to do with the operation of the business and it's not even running, it won't be a problem. If she's directing efforts towards operating the business, this could pose a problem
Can you please clarify the difference.
The business is incorporated. It is currently under development.
But it is not operational, has no employees (sole shareholder), no sales, no revenue, etc

But the intent is to.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8560 posts
1503 upvotes
Edmonton
onlineharvest wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 10:57 pm
Can you please clarify the difference.
The business is incorporated. It is currently under development.
But it is not operational, has no employees (sole shareholder), no sales, no revenue, etc

But the intent is to.
If she's trying to develop the business and her time is dedicated to doing so, she's not actively looking for insurable employment.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/f ... -003)e.pdf
May 2, 2013
1 posts
[quote="b166er1337" post_id="13600950" time="1318452273" user_id="16508"]As one of several former Service Canada employees here on RFD, there is a ton of knowledge, experience and wisdom on EI Benefits. The purpose of this is to have one centralized thread to discuss all things EI related. Feel free to ask any EI question; myself and others will do our best to answer it.

**Hello,

I received a letter from Integrity Service, Service Canada regarding my EI Claim dated April 25, 2013.

They would like me to report to an Interview on May 6, 2013 (this coming Monday).

I started work on Monday, April 29, 2013. I completed my online report to indicate so. I was on EI for almost 4 months since January 2013.

My question is, do I still need to go to the meeting they scheduled? I am working on May 6 and the letter did say if I cannot attend to call the office before the meeting date. Today (Friday) would be my last day to do that.

Can you tell me what would be the best thing to do?

Thank-you
May 2, 2013
2 posts
BURNABY
Hi,

Hoping you might be able to answer a question about maternity EI benefits. My last day of work was April 11th, and I submitted my EI claim that day. My employer also submitted my ROE on April 11th, but forgot to pay out my vacation (I cannot carry it forward). They then resubmitted a new ROE on April 15th showing my vacation payout, and I was paid that amount on April 26th (the next usual pay period).

I assumed my EI start date would be April 15th (as that is the start date of my maternity leave from work), but EI has my claim date starting April 21st. Do you know why this is?

Also, has my two week waiting period inadvertently been extended to three weeks (or longer?) because my employer forgot to pay out my vacation?

Thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

tomaccowu